New Runners All Welcome! Sept. 9, 09

I do have a question though!? My ankle was starting to cry while doing push ups, so I switched to my knees at a forward incline and went longer, faster, harder than I would if I was doing them all on my toes. I was wondering if wearing the weighted vest and doing them on my knees would be a viable option - what do you guys think? (I can't believe my ankle bailed before my shoulders/arms!:))

To console myself I bought a bunch of swim gear -there is always a silver lining to everything!

Janis, sugar, honeybunch, sweetiepie, crazy lady, this injury is your body's way to telling you it needs a break from intensity. I PROMISE you, you will not stop being a fit person and a fitness freak if you take it easier for the next 4 weeks. You do NOT need to intensify every exercise you can do, to balance out the ones you can't do right now. If you listen to what your body is literally yelling at you, you will be a fit person into your nineties. If you do not, you will manage to injure more body parts and make it that much more likely that you will never recover fully, thereby making it MORE likely that you will become a couch potato. It's the harsh truth, honey, but there it is. And really, am I EVER wrong? Have you ever come to harm by listening to Morningstar, hmmm?????

Okay, lecture's over- what gear didcha get? I thought all anyone needed was a suit!

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

Morningstar, welcome back! WOWY, those are some awesome, breath-taking photos!! Sounds like you had a lot of fun and got to see lots of nice things! I bet now that you're back at work, it feels like you never left!?

Janis, I'm soooo sorry about your ankle! :( I think I told you about breaking my foot a few years ago? I was fortunate enough to not need a cast, just a wrap, so I was also able to swim. I did seated upper body work like you, but after a few weeks I was actually able to start cycling (spinning at the gym). The ladies all made great suggestions about Cathe's floor work too. I agree with Jen, I find the burn more intense when I do floor work versus standing! I'm not sure about wearing a weighted vest while doing push ups, but I'm sure that's fine! Any safe way to add intensity sounds good! Do you have access to a gym? You could always use those seated hamstring curl and front leg extension machines to work your legs too! Sending hugs you way!

Hellos to Jen, Alisha & Tricia!

My grandma has been staying at my house since last Thursday during the day while my mom is at work. I enjoy the company! She is doing much better and mentally she is sharp as a tack, she just needs someone to monitor her blood sugar and make sure she eats right.

I did Jari Love's Ripped & Chiseled yesterday, but I didn't get in a workout today. I'm still feeling a bit off, but much better. I did see the doc and he thinks it may just be allergies.

Have a great night everyone! :)

Janis, sugar, honeybunch, sweetiepie, crazy lady, this injury is your body's way to telling you it needs a break from intensity. I PROMISE you, you will not stop being a fit person and a fitness freak if you take it easier for the next 4 weeks. You do NOT need to intensify every exercise you can do, to balance out the ones you can't do right now. If you listen to what your body is literally yelling at you, you will be a fit person into your nineties. If you do not, you will manage to injure more body parts and make it that much more likely that you will never recover fully, thereby making it MORE likely that you will become a couch potato. It's the harsh truth, honey, but there it is. And really, am I EVER wrong? Have you ever come to harm by listening to Morningstar, hmmm?????

Okay, lecture's over- what gear didcha get? I thought all anyone needed was a suit!

Yes Morningstar is always right! {nodding my head up and down} always always right. No harm has ever come to me by listening to Morningstar. :D

As a matter of fact I can't thank you enough for the lecture a few weeks ago, which finally got me to stop running on it! BTW I bought "No Need for Speed", and loved it.

I printed out your artistic prose ^ and put it in my workout binder (a frame on the wall would look out of place with the b/w photos! lol!:D).

Okay now that we know I can't do push ups, does that give you an idea of what I might be able to do on the floor? :)

What I bought today - a Swimman, the waterproof ipod shuffle. I bought a swim snorkel. (so I can work on stroke technique and not be worried about survival, I'd also like to work on my bilateral breathing to do that I need to become less right side dominate.) I bought a aqua jog belt (foam waist belt to help me remain vertical to do deep water jogging) and AQX shoes, I bought a silicone swim cap for long hair, last but not least I bought a Chrono100 lap counter.

Welcome back girl!

Janis, I'm soooo sorry about your ankle! :( I think I told you about breaking my foot a few years ago? I was fortunate enough to not need a cast, just a wrap, so I was also able to swim. I did seated upper body work like you, but after a few weeks I was actually able to start cycling (spinning at the gym). The ladies all made great suggestions about Cathe's floor work too. I agree with Jen, I find the burn more intense when I do floor work versus standing! I'm not sure about wearing a weighted vest while doing push ups, but I'm sure that's fine! Any safe way to add intensity sounds good! Do you have access to a gym? You could always use those seated hamstring curl and front leg extension machines to work your legs too! Sending hugs you way!

My grandma has been staying at my house since last Thursday during the day while my mom is at work. I enjoy the company! She is doing much better and mentally she is sharp as a tack, she just needs someone to monitor her blood sugar and make sure she eats right.

I did Jari Love's Ripped & Chiseled yesterday, but I didn't get in a workout today. I'm still feeling a bit off, but much better. I did see the doc and he thinks it may just be allergies.

Have a great night everyone! :)

CHRISTINE! YAY!

It is so lovely to hear from you. I bet your grandma is GREAT company. Does she talk about current events or does she talk about her history or a little of both? My grandma loved to play cribbage and do crossword puzzles.

I am glad you are starting to feel a little better. Allergies? Hmmm, yeah, I guess so, you had a recent bought of something, so back to back it could mean allergies. Is he going to do any tests?

It really helps me to hear about your broken foot- healing experience. The dr. suggested the bike in two weeks, and he too mentioned the leg curl/extension. I actually have one - it's sitting outside at the moment!

Thanks for the hugs.:)

Hi Everyone!

It's great to hear from EVERYONE tonight! I feel like the family is back together again! Yeaaa!!!

Christine - I'm so glad your grandmother is doing well! It must be nice to have some quality time with her. Being from a military family, I never got to really get to know any of my extended family.

Hi Jenn! I'm really not that fast. I have to really force myself to push to get my speed up and i usually can't go as far distance-wise when I work for speed.

Morningstar - It is great to have you back! You wouldn't get me anywhere near that cave! I am so arachnaphobic that it can put me into a serious panic attack to even see one! Odd, since I do go hiking and camping!

Janis - I would never have guessed a cooperage! How exciting! All that swim gear! Lucky you! I would just love a good pair of running shoes - oh yeah, and STS, and the Tower, more Cathe dvds, cold weather running clothes, a new step, a high step, etc., etc. . . . oh, well, budget, budget . . .

I also don't think it would be a problem to do push ups with a weighted vest to offset not being able to support yourself on your toes.

Alisha - How are you doing today?

Worked out indoors today. Did a step workout (30 mins.), bi's and tri's and abs. Wow, my abs are weak! I really haven't worked those out in quite a while! The worst part is that I didn't even burn 300 calories! I guess this is why I get so paranoid about forsaking a good cardio workout for weights! I need that calorie expenditure to maintain my weight! Tomorrow is a run day!

Well, I'm sure I have mixed everything up and forgotten stuff! I did this while watching an episode of Weeds and got sidetracked!

So, time for me to go to bed! Goodnight all! Have a good night's sleep and a great day tomorrow!

Hey guys,

Well, I made the same mistake again. I mapped out a route that would be 5K, then when I got out there, I forgot part of it, ending my run earlier than I had originally planned. I was so disappointed when I realized it that I didn't do anything else, just headed for home. So, I ended up doing the same distance as my last longest run, 4.2K, but at least I did it one minute faster, 25 minutes instead of my previous 26. Ah well, I will give it another go on Friday. I'll get to that 5K!

Hi everyone!

Morningstar, welcome back! WOWY, those are some awesome, breath-taking photos!! Sounds like you had a lot of fun and got to see lots of nice things! I bet now that you're back at work, it feels like you never left!?

Hi Christine,

I almost feel like I never left, but my screensaver at work is now pictures from my trip, so at least I've carried a bit of it with me.

I'm really really glad to hear your grandma is doing so much better.

As a matter of fact I can't thank you enough for the lecture a few weeks ago, which finally got me to stop running on it! BTW I bought "No Need for Speed", and loved it.
!

Isn't No Need for Speed wonderful? I think I need to read it again.

Okay, Janis, here it is:

• (32 per leg) Donkey kicks (on hands and knees, kick up behind you with one leg to the ceiling)

• (32 per leg) Pizza presses (similar to donkey kicks, but keep your knee bent when you raise it and don’t point your toe)

• (32 per leg) Fire hydrants (on hands and knees, raise one knee up and out to the side, crossing your toe behind the toe of the other foot)

• (64) Lying Abductor (outer thigh) band crosses (lie on your back with straight legs in the air, place band around both feet and cross the band in front so that each hand is holding the band end from the opposite foot, press outward with band) Don't do this one if the resistance is too much.

• (32 per leg) Abductor (outer thigh) leg lifts (lower leg bent, upper leg straight, toe pointed downwards)

• (8 reps of 16 pulses each, for each leg) Abductor (outer thigh) leg lifts on ball, small pulses

• (32 per leg) Abductor (outer thigh, IT band) leg swooshes (lie on side, lower leg bent, upper leg bending toward your chest then straightening)

• (8 reps of 16 pulses each, for each leg) Abductor (outer thigh) leg swooshes, small pulses

• (64 per leg) Adductor (inner thigh) leg lifts (lie on your side, place upper leg on a yoga block or move it in front or behind the lower leg, raise and lower bottom leg)

• (8 reps of 16 pulses each, for each leg) Adductor (inner thigh) leg lifts, small pulses

• (64) Adductor (inner thigh) stability ball squeezes, knees bent

• (32) Adductor (inner thigh) stability ball squeezes, legs straight, butt in the air

• (16) Hamstring roll-ins on the ball (lie down on back, place heels on the ball, roll ball in to your butt, digging your heels in)

• (16 per leg) Hamstring roll-ins on the ball, one leg in the air

• (32 per leg) Hip lifts with ball, one leg crossed over other or one leg in the air (lie down on back, place calf on the ball, raise hips in the air)

• (32) Bridge butt raises (lie on floor with knees bent, raise butt in the air)

• (16) Tibialis anterior toe pulls with stability ball (sit on floor, legs straight, place ball on toes, place both hands on ball, straighten toes so that ball comes toward you, but push back with your hands to provide resistance) Don't do this one if the resistance is too much.

Most important- really, really squeeze the muscle that you are working. Don't worry about making big movements, keep them small and tight, but really hit the sweet spot of each muscle. Feel free to break up each set into smaller sets (e.g. for 32 reps, break them into two sets of 16 reps). Try to avoid taking rests between exercises as much as possible. This is a more intense endurance workout than you might think, especially since I have stacked many of the muscle groups together, so there is very little rest between exercises for a particular muscle and you will be feeling it earlier than you might think. After a few weeks, maybe you could add small, 1lb ankle weights and work up from there.

Last edited:
Worked out indoors today. Did a step workout (30 mins.), bi's and tri's and abs. Wow, my abs are weak! I really haven't worked those out in quite a while! The worst part is that I didn't even burn 300 calories! I guess this is why I get so paranoid about forsaking a good cardio workout for weights! I need that calorie expenditure to maintain my weight! Tomorrow is a run day!

Hey Tricia, just remember a few things about calorie burning and weights:

• With strength training, you not only burn calories while lifting, you continue to burn calories for up to 24 hours later through the EPOC effect. Cardio has almost no EPOC effect, with the exception of HIIT cardio, which does.
  • With strength training, you build muscle. Muscle burns more calories than fat, so you continue to burn way more calories at rest than without the muscle
  • You can raise your heart rate significantly through strength training, especially when doing compound exercises and/or work large muscle groups
  • Muscle weighs more than fat, while being denser, so you weigh more while looking smaller. This means the cardio that you do will burn more calories, because the heavier you are, the more calories you burn.
  • Strength training enhances your ability to run and do other types of cardio.

Yes Morningstar is always right! {nodding my head up and down} always always right. No harm has ever come to me by listening to Morningstar. :D

As a matter of fact I can't thank you enough for the lecture a few weeks ago, which finally got me to stop running on it!

I printed out your artistic prose ^ and put it in my workout binder (a frame on the wall would look out of place with the b/w photos! lol!:D).

I really should have my own calendar, shouldn't I? :rolleyes: :p

I really should have my own calendar, shouldn't I?

Yes! LOL! You should. Match up the prose with your hiking photos and you'd have a bestseller!

Or you could moonlight as a personal trainer. That's not a bad idea!

Thank you thank you thank you for the floor work rotation. I am going to swim this morning, when I return I'll give it a go and report back.

My shipping notice states I'll receive the power tower on Tuesday! Yippee. In the meantime I'll have to reconfigure my workout room to make room for it, or alternatively I'll have to position it by the door so I can move it in and out depending on what I am doing in there.

I know the solution to your 5k route troubles - get the Garmin Forerunner. (You can buy it with the $$$ you make being a personal trainer. :D)

I'm getting yogurt on my keyboard, it's time to log off, suit up and hit the road.:)

oh what a beautiful morning

"oh what a beautiful day" The DMV was a dream. I made 1,000 dollars by going there and not just paying online. So, I went in there and was waited on by a higher level manager and she said that the guy on the phone lied and that because it is a motor home and not a fifth wheel we really could put it on “non-operable” and not register it or have it insured (its not live-able or drive-able anyway.) So, we had to pay 18 dollars for the back fee for the ‘non-operable” paperwork instead of 658 dollars, smog, and insurance. It pays to be nice to the people trying to help you at the DMV. Smile, it might make you 1000 dollars :D:eek::)

I went for a hike this morning and got to see all the dogs in the neighborhood, some shorn sheep, one pony, and plenty of juvenile wild turkeys. Its sunny, cool, and everything is smelling like fall. I am going to a nutrition class in town this morning.

MStar- Lately, I’m doing less than a 5k but I hope to get back into the 10k distances. You will get there too, I have confidence in you after all, is it not you that always wants to do the jog 2x? I would buy that calendar btw.

Janis- no more pushups on your toes. And, yes you can get by with wearing your vest and doing them on your knees. There are a lot of pilattes type leg work that is done on the matt. It sounds like you had a good time buying new aqua gear. Wish I was getting a power tower!

Christine- I have to watch my dad and remind him to eat (he isn’t even a diabetic!) and he is only 65. Its not always easy to watch your blood sugar because it can take a dive when you aren’t expecting it. Make sure your grandma gets enough healthy fats because that can make it easier to keep her blood sugar even. I hope its easy to deal with your ?allergies. Have you tried Claritin? It helps my brother.

Jenn- How are you?

Tricia- I’m doing ok, thanks for asking! I haven’t done abs in a while either. Don’t worry about the calorie expenditure in your workouts, adjust your calorie intake down a little bit, its not as bad as it sounds.

Thanks Morningstar!

I need to print this and frame it! Hang it in front of me every time I lift or don't want to lift!

Hmmm, maybe I'll take up cross stitch and do a nice hanging! :eek: Yeah, right. I have enough going on as it is!

Hey Tricia, just remember a few things about calorie burning and weights:

• With strength training, you not only burn calories while lifting, you continue to burn calories for up to 24 hours later through the EPOC effect. Cardio has almost no EPOC effect, with the exception of HIIT cardio, which does.
  • With strength training, you build muscle. Muscle burns more calories than fat, so you continue to burn way more calories at rest than without the muscle
  • You can raise your heart rate significantly through strength training, especially when doing compound exercises and/or work large muscle groups
  • Muscle weighs more than fat, while being denser, so you weigh more while looking smaller. This means the cardio that you do will burn more calories, because the heavier you are, the more calories you burn.
  • Strength training enhances your ability to run and do other types of cardio.

BTW, Morningstar, I, too, would buy the calendar! You could actually do more than one.

Let's see:

First one could be your quote of the day calendar.
Next, your workout for the day calendar.
Your, what not to do, calendar.

Have I missed any? You always give such great advice and information! Put that with those great photos you've been taking and, voila! Instant success! I'd pre-order every single one of 'em!

Alisha - What luck with the DMV! I'm so glad you were able to get someone nice and helpful! That would never happen around here. Yea! Also, what a beautiful hike/walk you had today! I love seeing wildlife when I run! I wish I had a forest/wooded path to run that was nearby!

Janis - I'm so jealous of your STS Tower! I may have to hunt you down and steal it from you when I'm out there! Just kidding! Do let me know how you like it. I'm most interested in how it stores. I have such a tiny space. It would need to breakdown and go back up pretty quickly and easily. I would need to be able to stick it behind a door or under the piano or something (my DH has a baby grand). I'm also curious about the stability since you don't attach it to the ground with anything.

Christine and Jenn - Hope to hear from you later this evening!

Last edited:
Tricia- I have a 7 foot concert grand that was built in the 1960s by Yamaha. Does your DH play? (You may have said that one before, just checking.)

Hello hello hello!

Loved loved loved the lower body rotation, Morningstar. Wowie - I forgot just how penetrating those fire hydrants can be, I had to split it up 16x2. The only one I had a bit of trouble with was "Abductor (outer thigh) leg swooshes, small pulses" but once I found the "sweet spot" criminee did that burn. I must not be using that particular glute/abductor muscle.

Between the floor work and all the breastroke today my legs are decently fried. Yay!

Swimming was fantastic. I am so happy to be swimming again it, almost, ALMOST makes me feel grateful for my injury. {knocking on wood}

I do have a minor gripe that I will vent here - the pool is used by the physical therapist office next door. One of the PT's arrived while I was swimming, despite clearly marked signs delineating lap swimming from recreational swimming he kept having his client move across the pool into the swimming lane. Grrrr. I decided to tread water until he was done....lemonade from lemons. (If he does it again I'll swim over and have a word with him.)

Hey Alisha - way to go at DMV! How was your nutrition class? I am seeing a lot of wild turkeys too. Huge gaggles of them, and sometimes they won't move off the road! And the deer are becoming so domesticated they barely raise their heads when I'm driving down the driveway.

Tricia - If you hunt me down AND find me, I'll GIVE you the tower {laughing} and I'll even buy you and your dh lunch! If I get it assembled before you snatch it away, I'll definitely let you know how easy it is to assemble/disassemble/store and it's stability.

And while I'm being generous - Morningstar - don't you have a birthday coming up? Wouldn't you like a Garmin Forerunner!? {major smirking} oh and how is re-entry going? (at work, home...?)

Jenn? are you out there?

Christine - Hey - I hope you don't mind me asking - but are you and your husband planning on having children? You'd be a great mom.:)

Ok - now I have to make dinner and take the beautiful and sweet to soccer practice.

Last edited:
Alisha - Yes, my DH plays jazz, blues and he can play classical if he wants to, he just prefers jazz! He drooled when I told him about your piano! LOL!

Janis - I don't think you have anything to worry about! I can barely find my way home some days! Can't wait for you to get it and try it out!

I'll have to try Morningstar's floor work routine! It sounds painful, but effective! Great swim today, too! That would have upset me if they were crossing into the lap lanes! Definitely speak with the therapist if it happens again! That's part of my problem with swimming in public pools (gyms). So often it would be so busy I'd have to share a lane. Ordinarily, it wouldn't be a problem, but even when I have a lane to myself, most people don't swim smoothly that they splash me and push waves into my face while I'm trying to do my laps. If I were comfortable in the water and a good swimmer, it probably wouldn't be a problem, but it freaks me out and I cough and choke and have to stop which defeats the purpose of me being in a pool! No triathlons for me!

Gonna go for now! It's time for more episodes of Weeds. We are almost caught up!

Morningstar,

I just have to share -

MY BUTT HURTS!

:D

what did you call that ? DOBS - delayed onset butt soreness?!

Last edited:
Hi,
:mad: Whine Alert:mad:
I'm here, today was another unproductive day. I love getting my workouts done in the morning, but sometimes I fall off the wagon and hit the ground hard. Especially once school starts. It is such a mind over matter issue. I just need a good kick in the arse.

Tricia- My uncle also plays jazz. He loves it. He plays with a jazz band in Charleston a couple nights a week. Does your DH play in a band?

Alicia - ^^^5's to rocking the DMV. It's always nice when you save $. Thank goodness you didn't listen to guy who gave you bad info.

Morningstar - Thanks for the great info about weight training. It is certainly not my favorite activity but I can get a good calorie burn depending on what DVD I'm using. And my hr always spikes when I do leg work.

Janis - Do you need a donut to sit on?:p Between swimming and floorwork your lucky you can walk.

Hi Christine - How are you?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.