New Runners All Welcome! Sept. 9, 09

Janis, my dear, you left out the freakin' actual diagnosis! What the heck is wrong with the ankle?

On a less strident note, if you give yourself permission to really like floor work, you will love it, I promise. No, floor work doesn't burn calories, but it really does build targeted muscle for the legs. Butts and Guts has floor work, as Tricia said, as does Gym Styles, Legs and Glutes, and Jari Love's 1st workout, Get Ripped. But if you don't have or don't like any of those, I will be more than happy to create a challenging floor workout for you (and trust me, you will hurt in all kinds of new and interesting ways!)

Can you do standing leg work without weights? For instance, doing lunges, squats, plies, etc. just using body weight, but really squeezing the muscle and hitting the sweet spot?

Okay, here we go...

Attachments

• almost home_01.JPG
    almost home_01.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 3
  • adorable-ass gartner snake_01.JPG
    adorable-ass gartner snake_01.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 4
  • baby sea stack_01.JPG
    baby sea stack_01.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 3
  • Bad ass mushrooms_01.JPG
    Bad ass mushrooms_01.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Breaded mushrooms_01.JPG
    Breaded mushrooms_01.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 4
And more...

Attachments

• Canada Geese over trees_01.JPG
    Canada Geese over trees_01.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Canada Geese_01.JPG
    Canada Geese_01.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Cave Frog in hand_01.JPG
    Cave Frog in hand_01.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Cave Froggie_01.JPG
    Cave Froggie_01.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 4
  • crevice off cliff_01.JPG
    crevice off cliff_01.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 4
Aren't you glad this isn't a home movie?

Attachments

• Devil's Monument_01.JPG
    Devil's Monument_01.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Elephant Tree_01.JPG
    Elephant Tree_01.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 3
  • flower shroom_01.JPG
    flower shroom_01.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Freaky cave spider_01.JPG
    Freaky cave spider_01.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 3
  • From Fred Binding Lookout_01.JPG
    From Fred Binding Lookout_01.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 3
sick of these yet?

Attachments

• gnarled tree_01.JPG
    gnarled tree_01.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 2
  • gonna eatcha_01.JPG
    gonna eatcha_01.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Hidden nose rock_01.JPG
    Hidden nose rock_01.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Hole to hell_01.JPG
    Hole to hell_01.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Home at Stormhaven_01.JPG
    Home at Stormhaven_01.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 3
the grotto- one of the magical places on this earth...

Attachments

• Grotto looking out_01.JPG
    Grotto looking out_01.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Grotto reflections_01.JPG
    Grotto reflections_01.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Grotto light rays_01.JPG
    Grotto light rays_01.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Grotto light pool_01.JPG
    Grotto light pool_01.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Grotto back wall_01.JPG
    Grotto back wall_01.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 3
Can you tell I like mushrooms?

Attachments

• How cute is this little guy_01.JPG
    How cute is this little guy_01.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Inquisitive-ass garter snake_01.JPG
    Inquisitive-ass garter snake_01.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 3
  • last morning fire at Reed's dump_01.JPG
    last morning fire at Reed's dump_01.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 3
  • just hangin' out, bein' a shroom_01.JPG
    just hangin' out, bein' a shroom_01.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Magic hour snake_01.JPG
    Magic hour snake_01.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 3
If you look REAL close, you will finally see a picture of me, getting water at sunset

Attachments

• Looking Down on Cave Point 2_01.JPG
    Looking Down on Cave Point 2_01.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Looking Down on Cave Point_01.JPG
    Looking Down on Cave Point_01.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Marsh_01.JPG
    Marsh_01.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Monumental_01....JPG
    Monumental_01....JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Morningstar getting water_01.JPG
    Morningstar getting water_01.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 5
Almost done, gotta go to work...

Attachments

• Mushrooms or flowers- you be the judge_01.JPG
    Mushrooms or flowers- you be the judge_01.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Natural Arch_01.JPG
    Natural Arch_01.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 3
  • No freakin' kiddin'_01.JPG
    No freakin' kiddin'_01.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 4
  • On the trail_01.JPG
    On the trail_01.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 3
  • Smurf village_01.JPG
    Smurf village_01.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 1
No, really, I'm almost done...

Attachments

• Spiderman's got nothin' on this guy_01.JPG
    Spiderman's got nothin' on this guy_01.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Spooky cave_01.JPG
    Spooky cave_01.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Stormhaven at sunrise 2_01.JPG
    Stormhaven at sunrise 2_01.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Stormhaven at sunrise_01.JPG
    Stormhaven at sunrise_01.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Stormhaven bathtub 2_01.JPG
    Stormhaven bathtub 2_01.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 4
In case you're wondering, yep, I went down through that vagina from hell- using feet, hands, knees, shoulders, etc. And back up!

Many thanks to Janis in showing me how to post these!

Okay, that's it, gotta run (well, walk) to work!

Attachments

• You lookin' at me_01....JPG
    You lookin' at me_01....JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 5
  • You want me to go where_01....JPG
    You want me to go where_01....JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 5
  • vagina from hell_01.JPG
    vagina from hell_01.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Watch your step_01.JPG
    Watch your step_01.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Stormhaven_01.JPG
    Stormhaven_01.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 5
Morningstar - The photos are fantastic, except for the one of the arachnid. At least I think that's what it was! It looked too much like one for me to hang around that set of pictures for more than a second. I have a deathly phobia of those things. The mushrooms were cool! I've never seen such interesting varieties. Any of them edible?

You must really be strong to have climbed that hole! I would have lost my grip and fallen in! :eek:

What a challenging and beautiful place! Well worth the work, absolutely!

Thanks for sharing!

Whoops- forgot this was a check-in group! Today I did a back, abductor, adductor and calves split. Took about an hour, with warm up and stretching. And yes, Janis, it included lots of floor work! :p

By the way, Tricia, the vagina from hell doesn't take a lot of strength to get down and up, just a helluva lotta guts and a willingness to use all body parts and torque, leverage, etc. You could totally do it! Some of the mushrooms may be edible, but I wasn't willing to test it! That spider and the cave frog were from a very scary, dark land cave that I have been in a couple of times quickly, but there are so many spiders in there that I really freak out and leave soon. I didn't take those two photos, but they were taken with my camera. The area I was in has tons of caves, both on the water and inland.

The larger version of the pictures are wonderful, but the small versions here don't really do them justice.

Last edited:
Morningstar - Welecome back!! Your pics are awesome. You are braver than I to go in anything where there are lots of spiders. I would have ran crying liking a baby if you tried to make me go near them. :p

Janis - Butts/Gutts and Legs/Glutes both have floor work. I always find leg work to be more painful then standing work. Can you still swim?

Tricia - ^^5's on your run. Your bike ride sounds very scenic.

Hi Christine and Alicia.

My family made it to Las Vegas, this is thier second trip. The first time they all went was for my wedding almost 5 years ago. I wanted to go this time but we didn't have the $. Maybe next time.

Good Morning!

Morningstar, the photos are stunning. Some of the areas you hiked looked untouched and pristine. The grotto photos brought tears to my eyes. Really. Like a recognition and yearning to return.

Loved the snakes and mushrooms. Nice framing. Whose hand is holding the frog?

The diagnosis is - stress fracture.

YES on your offer to create a floor work rotation. No load bearing exercises. I may even need to do my upper body workout sitting...i.e. standing bicep curls. Thankfully no cast, maybe because it looks like it is mending.

Tricia - I saw a cooperage truck. A what!? A cooperage truck. Still scratching your head? I see all sorts of trucks hauling water, grape, pears, walnuts etc...around the counties I travel to and through, but I have never seen a cooperage truck making a delivery. It told me - it's crush time!

Jenn - I think you'll be happier with STS if you do the starred 1 rep max tests, then keep notes and make adjustments to the calendar for the next week. A Vegas wedding! Were you living in NY at the time? How is your running? And yes I can swim. I plan to take up aqua jogging too.

Alisha - how is day two of your new life plan?

Christine - oh sweet and kind and generous Christine!?

Ok, I have to make breakfasts and lunches...then I am going to do STS chest, shoulders bi's and figure out the lower body. I am thinking I will swim and aqua jog three days a week and do the weights/floor work three days, and cry on day seven.

hugs and kisses
:D

Good Morning!

Morningstar, the photos are stunning. Some of the areas you hiked looked untouched and pristine. The grotto photos brought tears to my eyes. Really. Like a recognition and yearning to return.

Loved the snakes and mushrooms. Nice framing. Whose hand is holding the frog?

The diagnosis is - stress fracture.

YES on your offer to create a floor work rotation. No load bearing exercises. I may even need to do my upper body workout sitting...i.e. standing bicep curls. Thankfully no cast, maybe because it looks like it is mending.

Tricia - I saw a cooperage truck. A what!? A cooperage truck. Still scratching your head? I see all sorts of trucks hauling water, grape, pears, walnuts etc...around the counties I travel to and through, but I have never seen a cooperage truck making a delivery. It told me - it's crush time!

I'm glad you liked the photos! The hand was my hiking partner. The Grotto is quite simply impossible to capture in a photo. It is so beautiful, so serene. I know we all have different standards of beauty, but I don't know a single human being anywhere in existence that would not find it awe-inspiring.

Give me a day or two to work you out a floor work workout- it'll be fun for me to do!

What the heck is a cooperage truck? It delivers coopers?

Give me a day or two to work you out a floor work workout- it'll be fun for me to do!

What the heck is a cooperage truck? It delivers coopers?

Thank you thank you thank you

Yes a cooperage truck delivers coopers! :D:D:D
(aka - casks, wine barrels, place to turn juice into wine:D)

Good morning!

I was weak! There was a brownie and I ates it :eek::( I don't know what happened. I wasn't really planning on it. And then the brownie was missing. Ok. I think I know where it went but you know it ain't out here anymore. I did get a hike in this morning. I was too tired to do my yoga yesterday. I did go to work in the afternoon and was productive. I have a few errands to run today. Its nice, warm, and sunny today. I'm planning on getting that yoga later in the week. I am staying on task fairly well. I have my to do list all set up, all I have to do is well to do it.:p

MStar -I am officially doing the Yeah MStar is back dance. Wish I could have gone on that hiking trip it sounds fantastic! Those are beautiful shots, I especially like the close ups. Wow. What kind of camera were you using? Just curious (I’m a bit of a novice photo nut)

Janis- I hope you don’t go stir crazy for the next four weeks. Swimming is fun though. Your upper body will get so strong look out! Why is it that we have a whole medical industry that tells us to exercise/eat right and then at the first sign of trouble they so no exercise! What gives anyway? Although that said, with a stress fracture really take it seriously. A few years ago I shattered my right foot and it took a lot longer to heal because I kept re-breaking it. (ouchie btw.)

Tricia- Someday I hope to be fast like you, I run maybe a 12.5 min. mile idk exactly:eek:. I love podrunner.

Hi Christine and Jenn:)

MStar -I am officially doing the Yeah MStar is back dance. Wish I could have gone on that hiking trip it sounds fantastic! Those are beautiful shots, I especially like the close ups. Wow. What kind of camera were you using? Just curious (I’m a bit of a novice photo nut)

Alisha, I am thrilled you were able to eat and enjoy that brownie (even if you can't exactly remember doing it!)

The photos you see there don't really do the originals justice- the larger versions are so much better. This was my first time using the first new camera I've had in twenty years- and the first digital. It was a Nikon Coolpix L20 - very cheap, very easy to use and I was really happy with the results, especially from such an inexpensive camera.

Hello ladies,

I am back from STS land, I have yet to configure a leg/floor workout, but I was thinking of the meso 1 floor/band/xtra blasts + what you suggested Morningstar and Tricia, gym styles and b&G floor stuff.

I did okay with the upper body. I was able to do most of the sets seated or modified somehow. Bicep curls with the barbell were sort of working okay on an incline bench, but I think I'll have to use dumbells for awhile.

I do have a question though!? My ankle was starting to cry while doing push ups, so I switched to my knees at a forward incline and went longer, faster, harder than I would if I was doing them all on my toes. I was wondering if wearing the weighted vest and doing them on my knees would be a viable option - what do you guys think? (I can't believe my ankle bailed before my shoulders/arms!:))

Ok- to clarify the cooperage truck thing. The Cooper is the guy who makes the casks, Like a Smith-y or a Miller, it's a title, job, occupation, name. :)

Alisha - hey - I agree with Morningstar, I am glad you ate the brownie. Too bad you don't remember enjoying it! But it sounds like you didn't suffer repurcussions, which is a good thing! How did DMV go? Can you make an appt at your DMV? Yeah - I was thinking the same thing, we work out to stay fit, but staying fit often comes with injuries. As with eating and many other things, maybe moderation is key or knowing your portion size/tolerance level.

To console myself I bought a bunch of swim gear -there is always a silver lining to everything!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.