new career path for a middle aged woman

tsagona

Cathlete
Ok, so I'm 48, soon to be 49. I am not currently working outside the home. I worked as an insurance adjuster for 17 years until my office was closed during a re-org. Can't say I was sad about that. I was ready for a change. Well, it's been 5 years and I just couldn't decide what to do with myself.

I have now decided to go back to school to get the training to become an EMT Paramedic. I wanted to be a paramedic several times in my life and I've been talked out of it each time. I know it can be a gruesome job at times but I think it will be a very rewarding job as well. I don't think the trauma patients are a deal breaker but a reason why I want to do this. I think it would be wonderful to help someone when they are hurt and desparately need someone to help them.

So how about yall. Anyone make any complete turn about career changes or want to?

Or, what do you think about a soon to be 49 year old woman (though a cathlete) going back to school to become a paramedic?

Any paramedics out there? How do you like what you do. The good, the bad and the ugly.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Hi Tracey -- I say go for it! You only live once, and to quote an old song "I'd rather be sorry for something I've done than for something that I didn't do". Good luck!:)

Go for it, Tracy! Paramedic training would be awesome, and if it's something you want to do, you're never too old!! It is a wonderful thing to be able to help people who desperately need help.

I'm 53, almost 54, and I retired 4 yrs ago. I've been toying around with the idea of studying for ACSM certification to be a personal trainer. I was thinking that maybe I'm too old to be starting this, but life's too short to not take a risk at any age and try something you want to do!

Age is just a number, anyway.. Good luck!!!

What a timely topic - I was an EMT long ago and really enjoyed it, then became an engineer and am now looking at a lay off wondering if I should go back to it (or nursing), I have missed taking care of people.:D

Just keep in mind you will see some horrific things and then others that will have you laughing so hard! It's rewarding sometimes and heartbreaking sometimes, but you deal with it and you love it.

Now where did I put that nursing school application?

I just wanted to recommend the book "Ambulance Girl" by Jane Stern. She and her husband Michael Stern wrote a bunch of travel/food books, Road Food, Good Food, and lots more, and had a bunch of radio shows and magazine columns about food. A few years ago she decided to be an EMT and did find it very rewarding. The book details her training program and the first few months on the job. She was a very out-of-shape mass of insecurities and fears, and she still was glad she made the decision to be an EMT. It's a fun quick read. It was made into a Lifetime movie that was not quite as charming.

I was thinking of becoming a paramedic also I did volunteer for my local squad because they pay for EMT school and then I would continue on to Paramedic school I say go for it its never too late to learn

I have no problem with changing careers! I keep doing it! My last career change was 8 years ago now when I went back to school to be a paralegal. I wanted to go to nursing school, but because of the timing, I wasn't going to be able to finish before we had to move again (my DH was in the USMC at the time), so I went with the paralegal degree. I was able to start mid-term and double up on classes so I could finish before I moved.

I still want to go back to school again! Next time will be either for music or astrophysics or maybe even cooking school! I have such a wide variety of interests!

So, I say go for it! Do what moves you!

I switched careers about a decade or so, and it was the best thing I ever did for myself. I was 37-38 at the time. I think your goal of becoming a paramedic is awesome. In fact, if I could hit the rewind button back a few years I would have loved to pursue that exact same career.

GO FOR IT!!! And keep being a Cathelete - you're gonna need her workouts to keep up with the job demands!

Just remember - street police officers, paramedics, ER doctors and criminal prosecutors all have the best stories!

A-JOck

I appreciate all the positive feedback. I'm looking forward to registration tomorrow. Hopefully they will still have some open classes as they actually started on Friday. (I'm a little late but that's okay) I'm excited to get started.

Ambulance Girl was on tv last week. I saw bits and pieces as I was doing stuff but I could identify with her initial insecurities. I'm anxious and nervous just to go back to school. Much less do the actual job. But I'll gain confidence (I hope) as I move along.

Thanks again everyone.

Tracey, I myself am planning on making a career change. Except I'm only 30 yrs old but I've still been working for 11 years. I never went to college and regret it more and more everyday. I've been working in customer service for 11 years and although I make a pretty decent salary, I'm not satisfied. I want to do more with my life and I want to be a good role model for my daughter (whose only 7 mo so I want to get my butt in gear asap). Except, this isn't something I've just decided on. I've been planning on going back to school for almost 5 years now but life keeps getting in the way of me returning full time so I've been taking at least 3 classes a year for the last 5 years. But Fall 2010 is my goal to go back to Nursing school full time. With all the credits I will have, I will be able to get my BS in 2 years.
I'm still not 100% sure if nursing will be for me cause I'm used to Mon-Fri, 8-5 hrs and I know nurses work alot of crappy hours. At the same time, I feel that it's a great career move because I can get a degree in a short amount of time in a field that will have great versatility. My husband is an ocupational therapist and it's really inspired me to want to help people. I think nursing will be very rewarding. Look at me writing a book here!! But I'd love some other nurses to respond with their work experiences........rewarding? hate it? flexibility? I hate the thought of missing holidays and special things with my family cause I'm working the time. N

You've inspired me. I took a buyout three years ago. I was a reservation agent for a major airline for 10 years. I hated it! When I left that job DH's home based business was doing well enough for both of us to make a living from it. Now it's starting to look like one of us will need to get a job. I'm 49 and never went to college. When I lived in Italy I had the incredibly valuable skill called "knowledge of the English language". Even though I didn't have a degree I was able to make good money as a teacher and a translator. Due to my lack of formal education I was going to apply for jobs at grocery stores (hopefully Trader Joe's) and if the situation were to get really dire, call centers :( It never occurred to me to train for something better.
So I say go for it. I'm sure you'll do great.

I have no problem with changing careers! I keep doing it! My last career change was 8 years ago now when I went back to school to be a paralegal. I wanted to go to nursing school, but because of the timing, I wasn't going to be able to finish before we had to move again (my DH was in the USMC at the time), so I went with the paralegal degree. I was able to start mid-term and double up on classes so I could finish before I moved.

I still want to go back to school again! Next time will be either for music or astrophysics or maybe even cooking school! I have such a wide variety of interests!

So, I say go for it! Do what moves you!

I went back to school at 50 to earn a bachelor's degree in legal studies to become a paralegal. After this semester I just have my internship, then I'll graduate shortly before my 54th birthday:eek: I am concerned that many firms may not hire me because of age, but then again, maybe my maturity will work in my favor. I hope!

My cousin did that to put herself through college and it worked out really well. She seemed happy. Now she is a middle school music teacher (teacher of the year in CA.) So, I see no problem with that decision. I think you will like your new job.

Alisha

Thanks for all the inspiration. I've registered and started classes. I'm taking 7 hours and they are all biology classes and labs. I'm behind as I registered late which means I missed the first class or two and I'm behind the eight ball. I'm studying like never before. I hope it eases up once I get caught up. If not, I don't know how people carry full loads.

Going to change my signature. Thanks Jill for that recommendation. I need every positive morsel I can get right now.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.