need your help re: fitness equipment

Autumn68

Cathlete
I just got $ from selling my old gold and it's enough to buy 1 thing and I wanted your opinions on what I should get. Perhaps you have one or more of these things and can tell me what you think of them.
1. Malibu Pilates Chair
2. Spinner sport spin bike
3. Boxing equipment (heavy bag, gloves)
I would love them all, but can only choose 1 thing. What do you think folks???
Thanks - Autumn

IMO, the Malibu pilates chair is a gimmick and sort of a one-trick pony.
I'd go with heavy bag and gloves or spin bike, either of which would be more versatile.
It really depends on how much you like kickboxing or spinning, and what room you have, as well as what you think you'd benefit from the most or what is the 'missing link' in your current fitness routine.

IMO, the Malibu pilates chair is a gimmick and sort of a one-trick pony.
I'd go with heavy bag and gloves or spin bike, either of which would be more versatile.
It really depends on how much you like kickboxing or spinning, and what room you have,

Mostly weightloss/cardio. I love kickboxing - but I Cathe only has 1 boxing dvd - I may be able to find more. I've always wanted the spin bike....have some room for it.

Although I dislike spin, I'm actually going to vote for the spin bike, I have seen you can buy at home spin dvds, so for someone who likes it, I think this would be pretty great to have, it's the kind of thing I want to like, but just can't. And the ability to get such a high calorie burn workout at home is awesome.

The heavy bag is great and fun when I go to a kickbox class with bags and instructors, but for me without a workout to follow, I don't think I could go long enough on my own to make it into a real workout, I always need someone or thing to follow.

The chair seems too "as seen on tv" to me.

Although I dislike spin, I'm actually going to vote for the spin bike, I have seen you can buy at home spin dvds, so for someone who likes it, I think this would be pretty great to have, it's the kind of thing I want to like, but just can't. And the ability to get such a high calorie burn workout at home is awesome.

The heavy bag is great and fun when I go to a kickbox class with bags and instructors, but for me without a workout to follow, I don't think I could go long enough on my own to make it into a real workout, I always need someone or thing to follow.

The chair seems too "as seen on tv" to me.

Thanks for your input. I too need someone telling me what to do, I don't want to think. There are not too many boxing dvd's with the bag. Maybe Cathe will come out w/ some more.
I've always liked spinning and have a home gym, and I'd rather invest in a bike than a membership which doesn't last. I'm leading twd's the bike.
Will sleep on it.

I vote for the bike. It could be used for Cardio Coach workouts, with spinning DVDs, or you could crank up some music and create your own "ride." Seems like more bang for your buck than the heavy bag. And don't waste your money on the gimmicky Malibu chair.

Thanks everybody. :) The theme here is, not the chair. I'm thinking of the bike, but dh said we should get regular bikes and use them instead. But I think there's a difference.

Autumn, I think a "regular" bike is the way to go. A regular bike can also function as an indoor stationary bike -- all you need is a trainer. This is what I have done. I bought a CycleOps Fluid 2 Trainer http://www.cycleops.com/products/tr...ypage_images.tpl&product_id=168&category_id=3 and I use it with my old hybrid bicycle (DH and I bought new bikes this year so I keep my old one in the trainer). It makes for an AWESOME workout, and you still have the option to ride outside, too!! You would need to get a training tire for the rear wheel but those are pretty cheap. AND, you won't believe how far they've come with the technology. Bicycles today have so many wonderful features, and many offer suspension which makes for a MUCH more comfortable ride. Honestly, I would rather have a regular bike in a trainer than a spin bike. It feels more like real cycling, and it has more uses.

Last edited:
I vote for a spin bike. It will last forever and it imminently versatile.

If you do choose to get a road bike and put it on a trainer be aware that it does not behave the same as a spinning bike. A spinning bike has a weighted fly-wheel which allows you to stand up and get even tension while you ride. I had an indoor trainer for my road bike and I was really frustrated trying to do "spinning" type rides. I could simulate outdoor rides, but standing up really wasn't an option. I eventually got a spinning bike and have never regretted it.

Whatever you choose to get have a blast with it.

are the prices you are thinking about for bike & boxing new or used? maybe you could get used and get both? they often have boxing stuff on ebay/craigslist. i think it would be hard to get a used spinning bike from a person,but there are fitness equip. stores that sell used equip. you could look into that in your area.

Autumn, I think a "regular" bike is the way to go. A regular bike can also function as an indoor stationary bike -- all you need is a trainer. This is what I have done. .

I agree. I vote for buying a bike. I do indoor biking with my bike on a trainer several times a week. Buying a bike and putting it on a trainer is more versatile because you can ride indoors or outdoors.

personally, i would have alot of trouble paying this much, i'm always on a budget. but there are times when its a good idea to get quality, that will last. an investment that is expected to last a really long time. so as you learn more about the bike, play devil's advocate. which parts might break? how would it be repaired? do you have kids? kids could break parts of it, in particular the resistance knob. and boxing equipment is alot less breakable. afterall its made to be punched. i only say this, because my bike is broken just about everywhere. its a reg. type not spinning. i wonder what the pedals straps are made of? mine are broken, obviously you dont want that. sorry to be such a downer. i think spinning is a great w/o and fun too.

I agree. I vote for buying a bike. I do indoor biking with my bike on a trainer several times a week. Buying a bike and putting it on a trainer is more versatile because you can ride indoors or outdoors.

Hi Michele, where can I find/buy a trainer?

personally, i would have alot of trouble paying this much, i'm always on a budget. but there are times when its a good idea to get quality, that will last. an investment that is expected to last a really long time. so as you learn more about the bike, play devil's advocate. which parts might break? how would it be repaired? do you have kids? kids could break parts of it, in particular the resistance knob. and boxing equipment is alot less breakable. afterall its made to be punched. i only say this, because my bike is broken just about everywhere. its a reg. type not spinning. i wonder what the pedals straps are made of? mine are broken, obviously you dont want that. sorry to be such a downer. i think spinning is a great w/o and fun too.

It will be hard for me to pull the trigger. We really don't have the $, but it's like found $, I sold my old gold and want something for it. I would like to buy a used one for cheaper but didn't find anything yet. Maybe I'll just keep my eyes on craigsllist for a while.

i'm not saying its a terrible idea. not trying to make you feel bad. its just, like when you buy a car. you want to compare your options. are there other brands of spin bikes that are high quality but cost less? i got the impression you want to buy this kind because its the best. it it is the best, you want to feel like you paid for durability, not a name brand. afterall, who else is going to see it? think about basics like will i be wearing shoes or just socks? will my feet fit in the straps with shoes on? my feet dont, but i wear ogre size 10. adding to your home gym is a great idea to invest in yourself. thats how i would think about it. investment, will you be using it for 10 years? 20? would you get tired of it?
one of the good things about the bike, its pretty quiet. unless you have a basement, or live alone, you might have to only box during the day.

Hi Michele, where can I find/buy a trainer?
Hi Belinda! I bought my CycleOps Fluid 2 at a local bicycle shop (when given a choice I almost always buy from local vendors because I like to support the local economy, even if it means spending more money). And the benefit of buying from a local store is that they can show you how to set it up. If that's not an option for you, I'm sure you can buy one online. You might try Amazon. :)

Hi Belinda! I bought my CycleOps Fluid 2 at a local bicycle shop (when given a choice I almost always buy from local vendors because I like to support the local economy, even if it means spending more money). And the benefit of buying from a local store is that they can show you how to set it up. If that's not an option for you, I'm sure you can buy one online. You might try Amazon. :)

Hi Michelle, I live in Germany! My only option is online:( I will check out CylcleOps Fluid2 on Amazon, hope they got it! I think a trainer is a great idea, winter is just around the corner (in our case it's almost here, I am running my heaters already).

Thanks for the info!

Hi Michelle, I live in Germany! My only option is online:( I will check out CylcleOps Fluid2 on Amazon, hope they got it! I think a trainer is a great idea, winter is just around the corner (in our case it's almost here, I am running my heaters already).

Thanks for the info!
Good luck finding one, Belinda!! Cycling is such a popular sport in Europe -- I would think you could find a trainer somewhere!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.