Need weight suggestions

lizh

Hi there,
I currently own dumbells that 3lb, 5lb, 8lb, and 10lb. I am doing XTrain and really need 12 lb but then I see Cathe and the girls using 25 and 30lb!! So I hope that I will need even heavier weight in the near future.

A set of 12lb cost about $40.00 so as I progress needing higher weights this can get expensive real quick! I checked on Craigslist and they are seem to be just as expensive when sold used.

So, all you experienced Cathe-ites....what would you do if you were me? Would you purchase the 12 lbs and slowly add to the collection over time or bite the bullet and get the adjustable weights (bowflex or powerblock)? (The space saving of adjustable weights is appealing, too.)

Can I realistically think I'll need these higher weights? I'm committed and 53 years old. Money isn't the huge factor, here...I just want to be smart about it.

thanks
Liz

Have you looked into buying a pair of 2 lb weighted gloves?
Amazon.com: Fitness by Cathe 2-Pound Weighted Gloves with DVD: Sports & Outdoors

That would give you the additional 2 pounds without spending a lot of money upfront.
I think your next purchase would be 15Lb dumbbells (with the gloves, you'd be able to increase to 17 pounds.

I bought weights slowly over the years. I had the 3,5,8, and 10. Then the gloves, then 15, 20, 25, 30 pound dumbbells. I spread out the purchases on an "as needed" basis.

Yes, you will get stronger ... I'll be 52 this year, but don't buy weights until you feel you are ready for them.

And that's my 2 cents!

Like the others, I built my weights up over time and I own dumbbells in 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, 12, 15 and 20 pounds. But when I needed to go heavier, I just bit the bullet and got SelectTechs. I am not sorry I did either. I don't use them in for any of the dumbbells I already own, but I use them for 17.5, 22.5, 25, 30 and 35. They go all the way up to 50 pounds, but I am not at that level yet. But the nice thing is, the heavier weights are there for me when I need them.

That's just my experience, however.

Hi Liz,
My heaviest dumbbell right now is 20 pounds. I am almost ready for 25. Anyhow, I bought 2lb wrist weights from target. They are good for me because I can use them with my 5 lb weights for some shoulder work to get 7lbs and for the 22lbs. I also have this old set of adjustable "dumbells". They look like mini barbells and use the plates I would use on my barbell. I use them for 25lbs, only for workouts that require one weight. These things are too long to hold two. The reason I mention this is, if you decide to get adjustable dumbbells, go to a sporting goods store first to make sure you like them. For me, they are too cumbersome.

Congrats on your weight increases! I am 44 and figure I will keep upping my weights as I get older. I agree with the others, only get them as you progress as they are needed. Dick's used to have them for weird sale prices, .50 lb. I haven't seen this in a long time.

Melissa

My DH has an adjustable weight set (Versa Bell II I believe) and it is really large/bulky. I would not want to use it in my workouts. Also it takes a few seconds every time you need to adjust the weight on each one. Kind of a pain I think anyways.

I'm currently doing STS for the 1st time and just about to finish up Meso 2. Loving it BTW! Decided to buy Pace weights. Expensive about $80 for 9lbs but so worth it. Each one is half a pound and they magnetically attach to metal dumbbells. It makes it easy to go up in weight slowly to the next 5lb increment.

Also I've been buying my dumbbells from Walmart. I live on an island with no Walmart and these are usually the cheapest I've found with shipping. The Cap Hex or regular. Whichever is cheaper. If you don't get one with a coating make sure you have a carpeted floor, a floor you don't care about, or a dumbbell rack. I bought a Cap A Type Dumbbell Rack on Amazon for about $40. Nothing special but does the job.

HTH!

Hi there,
I currently own dumbells that 3lb, 5lb, 8lb, and 10lb. I am doing XTrain and really need 12 lb but then I see Cathe and the girls using 25 and 30lb!! So I hope that I will need even heavier weight in the near future.

A set of 12lb cost about $40.00 so as I progress needing higher weights this can get expensive real quick! I checked on Craigslist and they are seem to be just as expensive when sold used.

So, all you experienced Cathe-ites....what would you do if you were me? Would you purchase the 12 lbs and slowly add to the collection over time or bite the bullet and get the adjustable weights (bowflex or powerblock)? (The space saving of adjustable weights is appealing, too.)

Can I realistically think I'll need these higher weights? I'm committed and 53 years old. Money isn't the huge factor, here...I just want to be smart about it.

thanks
Liz

Too bad you are not in Delaware! I'm selling my 12lbs and 15lbs pretty cheap !! And a nice rack

I use the BowFlex Selectechs & have done several STS rotations. I'm currently doing the 90 day undulating Xtrain rotation (love both!) I have individual dumbbells for 5, 8, 10, & 12. The Selectechs are bulky, but I don't find that to be a problem for the exercises that I use them for. The only time that I found the bulkiness to be a problem was dumbbell curls inclining on the ball - just not enough room for the ends of the dumbbell without changing my hand positioning outward. I also like that they don't take up additional space. One downside is that when you are doing the weight work (like dropsets or some supersets) where you change weight quickly, it's not as fast as having separate dumbbells available. However, I'm still a fan of the Seclectechs!

BTW, I'm 48 & have been doing Cathe's workouts almost exclusively for the last 2 & a half years. The weight that I lift gradually continues to grow, and I'm sure that you can expect the same. :} My Selectechs go up to 50 lbs and I've used up to the 40 lb (for plie squats). My son uses them as well. Good luck in your decision making!

Lily

I also accumulated mine over time, so to buy adjustable now would be to go backwards for me. Like someone else said, you shouldn't be spending more than $1/lb. I know all the fuss about Walmart, but they generally have good DB prices, and carry up to 35lb sizes in dumbbells. I may have gotten my 40 there, too, but can't recall. Target's a little pricier, and they carry the neoprene covered ones, which I don't like. The middle bit is thicker and hard to get my hand around. Kmart also used to carry DBs at a reasonably price, but I haven't been there forever. Our Kmart is kinda icky. Or try a Play It Again Sports, they run about $1-$1.50/lb there. If you're skeezed out by used fitness equipment, remember they're metal and can be cleaned pretty easily. Or, if you can, wait til spring and hit the garage sales.

Nan

I have 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 10, 12, 15 & 20lb weights and like others I accumulated mine over time as needed. I normally try not to shop from walmart but they are the cheapest for weights, especially heavier ones. (Adjustable weights just never appealed to me.)

I still get a lot of use out of my 12 lb weights (but maybe I’m just slow to progress?). The gap between 10 and 15 for some exercises is quite large for me and the 12s are still right where I’m at for some things. Actually, the jump from 12 to 15 is quite big for me too, so sometimes I use my 2.5 lb adjustable ankle weights to increase in weight.

It's not ideal but I'll load the ankle weights with 1-2 lbs and then kind of wrap them around the handle of the 12lb weight (the ankle weights have velcro straps and i'm too lazy to put them on my wrists each time). I also do this when increasing weights for shoulder exercises so that I can move up in .5 or 1lb increments. If this makes my grip feel too uncomfortable, I don't do it, but usually I manage.

I consider the weights investments and remind myself how long it takes me to actually need to get the next heaviest weights. There are very few exercises I currently use my 20lb weights for and I imagine it will be quite a while before I need to invest in anything heavier.

Don't know if they have a Play It Again Sports in your area, but that's always a great option!:)

I've been accumulating mine over time too. Since I started STS, I added the weighted gloves and Pace Weights, which help a lot. I try to buy the weights one at a time with coupons (if you have a Dunham's near you, sign up for their mailing list).

FWOnline.com is having a clearance sale on weights. They have reasonable shipping, too. It's worth a look no matter what you decide!!

Age is just a number.:D I'm 50 years old and use up to 50 lb dumbbells, and 110 for barbell squats. I have a squat cage for heavy squats.

I purchased adjustable weights for my two sons (for space saving reasons), but I have dumbbell racks in my home gym.
I prefer individual dumbbells. I also use pace weights & plate mates.
Here is an excellent video about shopping for dumbbells.
I keep my heavy dumbbells on the top rack too.;)
My Weight Room - YouTube

fit44,
I was going to get a dumbbell rack but didn't because i would till have the heavier weights on the bottom. So, it is safe to keep them on the top row? I worried the rack would tip over. Thanks,
Melissa

fit44,
I was going to get a dumbbell rack but didn't because i would till have the heavier weights on the bottom. So, it is safe to keep them on the top row? I worried the rack would tip over. Thanks,
Melissa

Yes, as long as it's a sturdy rack with a solid base. I've had no problems.
I have two tier rack style.

fit44,
Melissa

Hi Melissa. I just sold a smaller dumbbell rack on Craigslist. I had 20,25,30 and 35's on there. I did have the 30's and 20's on the top and could have put the heavier ones up top as well but I don't use them as much so they stayed on the bottom. I didn't have any issues with tipping and the rack was pretty small. I had 15's and lower on the sides. Chris

I recently got the bowflex selectec dumbells and I really like them. I like that you can jump in small increments. They are adjustable from 5 to 50 lbs. they go up in 2.5 lb increments until 25, but I figured out that if I wanted like 27.5 I can set one side to 30 and the other to 25. They are bulky for something's but I love not having to worry about weighted gloves or needing other dumbells.

All of my dumbbells have been such a good investment! I have 3# to 20# sets plus a barbell. I started my set way back in 1993 with years off here and there for babies, just life, and laziness. But I have been on more years than off and they earned their keep for sure.

Right now my next purchase needs to me 25 pounders and I am excited about that.

I never liked the adjustable dumbbells either.

Best wishes!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.