Need to make some decisions...

Dela

Cathlete
I found that Athletic Training and Afterbun have some moves in them that just do not work well with me and caused a pretty lengthy injury. I don't want to give up completely on the set, so was looking for some opinions on the dvds that don't cause any tweaking or back tighness.

Those I think will be fine:
Yogamax
Yogarelax
Turbo Barre.

Those below I hope will be ok, but I'm hesitant, so most curious on your thoughts about safety for these 3:
Slide and Glide
Trisets
Cardio supersets

The following I can't risk doing again, I don't know what caused the injury exactly during the workout, so I don't now how to modify for it.
AT
AB

And I'm just not a step person, so the step dvd is unlikely for me too.

The only one I did not try yet is Turbo Barre, but I'm very interested in this one before I decide what to do with the set.

I may try selling or trading it whole, then buying back the one or two I really want.

But I'll try out TB tomorrow and revisit trisets first before making any decisions.

I am so sorry to hear about your injury. What got injured btw?

I have recurrent back/neck injuries from a car accident, plus my knee's can hurt if I engage in too many forward lunges or high impact exercises. That being said, I understand how these workouts can cause injury when doing the moves incorrectly or not modifying. If it's your back that hurts, S&G, CS, and Tri-sets can aggravate the injury most definitely. They all involve plank positions, which IMO, put strain on the back. BUT there are ways to modify so you can enjoy these workouts without risk and pain. For the plank positions(ie- burpees, mountain climbers) don't go as fast, deep into the motion or just skip them altogether and do another exercise that you feel comfortable with and get the heart rate up (jumping jacks, jump rope). I also find that doing push-ups on the step with 2 or 3 risers is easier than doing them on the floor and puts less pressure on the back, while still reaping the benefits of plank related exercises.

As far as Step Challenge, I was a serious step novice until a few months ago. I was so horrible at step and dreaded any complex choreo. But I stuck with it and now Step Challenge is my favorite! If I can do it, anyone can! This one does not put a lot of pressure on the back.

IDK, I love this series so much that I can never picture myself getting rid of any of them! Not even with my back injury! I just play it safe and listen to my body. Perhaps wait until you've recovered from your injury and give them another try (maybe get a doctor's approval if you are hesitant). But you know what's best for you, no one else can tell you otherwise.

Take care,

Natasha

Thanks for replying, it was my back that I hurt, and if I had just rested it after I first felt pain and not pushed on with my rotation for another 2 weeks, I likely would not have created the situation I did. Right now, I feel 100% better which is great and am starting to slowly incorporate some more advanced workouts again, but it's been long enough now that I have some rebuilding to do and am doing more modifying than usual. But like you said, only I will know what I'm comfortable with.

Thanks for replying, it was my back that I hurt, and if I had just rested it after I first felt pain and not pushed on with my rotation for another 2 weeks, I likely would not have created the situation I did. Right now, I feel 100% better which is great and am starting to slowly incorporate some more advanced workouts again, but it's been long enough now that I have some rebuilding to do and am doing more modifying than usual. But like you said, only I will know what I'm comfortable with.

Dela, I remember when I first did Insanity I was aggravated that my knees were *talking* to me and I made some changes such as ChoPat knee braces to make sure my patella stayed put while I strengthened the surrounding muscles and ligaments during all the jumping. Since that one little tweak healed, I've not had another problem, but I still wear them from time to time if I'm going to be riding heavy on the weekends. Even though its a low impact workout some of the moves are probably new to your body and caught you off guard. One of the modifications I've done with this series is limit the sliders in part because I'm clumsy and for me I need the full movement most of the time. Its pretty easy to do if you try it. Sometimes when you try something new, it may alert you to an imbalance in muscle strength in your body. Although some moves will never work for everyone. Like deadlifts for me, no matter how careful I am with this move and how perfect my form is, I can only do 70 standing, but can do 210 seated with a cable and bar.

Regarding TurboBarre, I think this is a very good workout and the abs section is awesome. I would try this one.

Knee Brace

DirtDiva
I was ready your post and was wondering which ChoPat knee brace you use and how often you wear it.

I have been having a lot of knee pain and was wondering about a good knee brace to wear while working out

Thanks
Sharon

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.