Need Help with vacation to San Diego!

Jody

Cathlete
Need a little vacation help! My hubby and I are going to San Diego for our 5-year anniversary at the end of April, and I am trying to get suggestions on the best restaurants, shopping, etc. We will have a rental car, so we aren't limited to a specific area, although we are staying at the Del Coronado on the island (very expensive, even with the deal we got, so I hope it's worth it!).

Since we are from the Midwest, I am definitely looking forward to having lots of (good!) seafood. I don't mind spending a little $$$, but would like some affordable options too.

I'm sure lots of you live in the area or have visited, so I'm hoping you can provide some assistance - thanks in advance! :)

I have stayed at the Del, and it is definitely worth it. There are a ton of really good restaurants within walking distance, so you don't have to go far. There are some really cool shops also..Have a great time..I am jealous.....Brandi:)

We have a boat there on Shelter Island.I have stayed downtown at the Marriot hotel, its within walking distance of the gaslight or gaslamp district which houses more incredible shops and restaurants than you can imagine.

Seaworld is right around the corner, the zoo, all of those boats you can tour down on the waterfront...wow, there is so much to do in SD! Hopefully Leanne will see this post, she lives there. Have a wonderful time, the weather is getting really perfect there right now, so make sure you pack lighter clothing and bring along a light jacket/parka to wear at night when it gets cool.:)

Hi Jody,

I live in San Diego. Lots of great seafood restaurants in the area. I highly recommend the Crab Catcher in downtown La Jolla. Great food, not bad prices, and killer sunsets as you overlook the ocean.

For a quick lunch on checkered paper table cloths, go to Point Loma Seafood. This is a place where the locals go (and tourists discovered a couple of years ago. Even Arnold goes here!)

Hope this helps!
Lorrayne

I've only been to San Diego once but found Osetra (link: http://www.osetrafishhouse.com/index2.cfm) and Ocean Room to be very good seafood restaurants. They are both in the Gaslamp district which is a cool place to take a cab and walk around during the evening. I hope you guys have a fun and romantic trip!

Hi Jody,

Like Lorrayne, I live in San Diego, too. You've already got some great recommendations from others, but I wanted to second the idea to go to the Crab Catcher or Point Loma Seafood.

La Jolla is also a fantastic place to just go to for a nice stroll in the evening. They also have wonderful little shops and boutiques in La Jolla, but many of them are really expensive.

Don't forget, too, to visit Old Town (which is just a little ways north of downtown) for great Mexican food! The Old Town Mexican Cafe is a great restaurant -- but be warned that their margaritas are HUGE! There are also some fun little shops in Old Town where you can get souvenirs.

Since you're staying at the Hotel Del (which is such a romantic, wonderful place! you'll love it there!), you might even want to take a Harbor Excursion Cruise around the harbor at night. It takes you under the Coronado Bridge and around most of the bays and inlets. I think that they might even be offering whale watching tours right now during the day.

If you can squeeze in the visits, definitely try to make it to Sea World and the zoo; they're both fantastic! (The Wild Animal Park is a bit of drive, but it's also great; wild animals roam around the largest area and aren't enclosed in cages.)

Heading to the Gaslamp District (in downtown, not too far away from Coronado) is always fun; in the evenings, the restaurants and bars are really happening, and there are always fun events going on. Horton Plaza is the big shopping mall located in downtown, and there are some nice stores there. If you want to venture to an even nicer mall, Fashion Valley is in the Hotel Circle area (sort of near the Chargers Stadium) and it has a lot of upscale stores.

If you want more ideas, let me know!:) Hope you have a wonderful visit and anniversary!

Just got back online tonight...you guys made my day! :D Thank you so much to everyone for your suggestions - this was exactly what I was looking for. Now I'm really excited to go on vacation!

Brandi, do you remember any of the restaurants you visited while staying at the Del? If not, no problem, I'd just like to narrow down my choices. I'm glad to hear rave reviews of the hotel - I don't mind spending the $$$ if it's worth it!

Lorrayne and Leanne, if either of you don't mind, I may email you guys in the coming weeks if I have any more questions - it's nice to have a couple of locals there!

Thanks again (and if anyone else cares to chime in, please do!).

Hi Jody,

Yes, feel free to email me. Regarding a great restaurant to eat in the Hotel Del, please eat at the SheerWater. Great food and the prices aren't too bad. Yummy! :9
Lorrayne

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.