Need help with cookware

jackie7

Cathlete
Another of my non stick pans is flaking, so I need to go back to stainless steel. Does anyone have any recommendations for me? Thanks

I subscribe to Cooks Illustrated and they recommend All-Clad Stainless Steel - if you can afford it. For a best buy, they recommend Tramontina 18/10 TriPly - Clad cookware - which you can find at Wal-Mart. I don't have it myself because I'm still happy with the stainless steel set I purchased from Wolfgang Puck years and years ago from HSN. He still sells it, so you can check that also.

I do have the enamel dutch oven from Tramontina (rec'd by Cooks Illustrated) and loooooove it.

Hi Jackie,

If you need a pan with a nonstick finish then I would avoid stainless steel because you would need a tremendous amount of fat to keep food from sticking, especially delicate proteins like eggs.

I use All Clad cookware and I love it, but for times when I need a nonstick surface I prefer Farberware skillets from the Millennium series. http://amzn.com/B000085OX8

No matter how expensive the pan, nonstick finishes will degrade at some point. The Farberware pans are affordable and it's not a great loss when the time comes to throw them away, and they're good little skillets! The TRICK to getting the most out of your nonstick cookware is to keep the heat to medium or below (no need to use higher heat settings), and avoid cooking sprays like Pam (if you must use something, just use a little olive oil).

Another option is to use a well seasoned iron skillet.

P.S. Speaking of Cook's Illustrated, I've been a subscriber since the beginning and that's where I learned about the Farberware nonstick skillets. They really are wonderful for the money and you can get them at places like Walmart or Bed Bath & Beyond.

Last edited:
I have the professional cookware from Pampered Chef and love it! I've had no issues with it at all and I've had the cookware since 2001! It still looks brand new and, yes, I do use it all the time! I gave a party and was able to get it at half price.

** Voting for a cast iron skillet! ** they are so wonderful!

and i love cook's illustrated/country too!:D

I gave up on non stick. I use stainless. Kitchen essential from calphalon has been my choice. We have been buying one at a time.

I still have some of my Calphalon stick free...but it sure didn't last long...then my hubby started putting it in the dishwasher...I bought the cookwear before I met him. He doens't get it...but...whatever...that's another issue.

I cook eggs with no problem. I spray a little olive oil cooking spray in the pan and they come out fine...even over easy eggs, so long as I don't poke them too hard when I flip..couldn't do that even in a non stick pan.

C

I have the professional cookware from
Pampered Chef and love it! I've had no issues with it at all and I've had the cookware since 2001! It still looks brand new and, yes, I do use it all the time! I gave a party and was able to get it at half price.

I have the same set- LOVE it! I also have a set from KitchenAid that is very much like my Pampered Chef Professional set. No problems with either set and I use them a lot!

Another fan of well seasoned cast iron here. Lodge is good. If you can find it Griswold is the most amazing cast iron on earth. It's not manufactured any more so you'd have to find it at flee markets or thrift stores. Hopefully at a decent price. The most sought after pans go for 100's of dollars on ebay. I have eliminated all coated non stick pans from my kitchen. Cast iron will last for generations. Almost makes me wish I had kids to pass mine down to!

I recently got rid of my flaking non-stick cookware and replaced it with Cuisinart Chef's Classic stainless steel. I did a lot of online research before deciding on it. It was cheaper than All Clad and got great reviews. I really like it.

** Voting for a cast iron skillet! ** they are so wonderful!

and i love cook's illustrated/country too!:D
I agree: cast iron is wonderful for many things (and stainless steel does a good job on what cast iron doesn't do as well). It's pretty much non-stick if you season it well.

For those of you using non-stick, don't you worry about where the non-stick stuff goes (into your food and body) when it 'wears off'? I got rid of my non-stick cookware years ago.

Not really. I look at it like this:

If it's not in my cookware,
it's in my water, if it's not in my water,
it's in my air, if it's not in my air,
it's in my makeup, etc.....

I think you get the picture! :confused:

Then there's my food . . . . :confused::confused:

I agree: cast iron is wonderful for many things (and stainless steel does a good job on what cast iron doesn't do as well). It's pretty much non-stick if you season it well.

For those of you using non-stick, don't you worry about where the non-stick stuff goes (into your food and body) when it 'wears off'? I got rid of my non-stick cookware years ago.

You have to have the right pan for the right job so I have all kinds of pans.

I love my all-clad but have friends who love Pampered Chef. My all-clad set is 13 years old.

I also have cast iron for certain recipes.

And I have a non-stick for eggs - I have a Scanpan brand from Sur La Table. It is PFOA free. It's a little pricy but shows no signs of wear no matter what I use with it. My other non-stick skillets I would have to get rid of every year or so (which I didn't feel good about) when they started flaking. So this new pan is worth the money considering that.

Here's the description:
You voted this as one of your favorites: Scanpan is the first producer of nonstick cookware that is certified PFOA free, so it’s safe for you and the earth. The unique cooking surface is safe for metal utensils and allows for browning, searing and deglazing—things you can’t do with traditional nonstick. It requires little to no fat for cooking, so you can enjoy a healthy meal.

The Green Tek nonstick surface is created by firing a ceramic-titanium compound into the pan. A specially formulated nonstick compound is then embedded in the surface. Its pressure cast aluminum construction is denser than most aluminum cookware, allowing for superior heat retention and quick distribution for reduced energy use.

This skillet is an essential in any kitchen. Great for high-heat cooking such as browning, searing and deglazing. Its clean, elegant design is unique and modern. Dishwasher safe. Made in Denmark.

I have All Clad stainless and love them. I also have one non-stick frying pan for eggs and a good cast iron pot for roux and things. Cookware and More is a great place to get All Clad pans at a lower price. They sell mostly seconds and irregulars, but I have never had any issues or noticed what made them seconds. I think they are having an open stock sale now too:

http://www.cookwarenmore.com/

You can also often pick up one All Clad piece for a great price in the stores. They typically will have a featured item that they are selling for much less than it's normal price. HTH.

Pam

I have a full cuisinart set my mom gave me for a wedding gift. that was about 10 years ago and they are still in excellent condition. But I also love my cast iron. I use it most everyday for something. I make eggs etc in the cast iron and most boiling/soups etc for the stainless. I put a glass lid on my cast iron though when I want to have a cover. It was from an old nonstick I tossed.
I noticed nonstick has a smell when you cook with it. I also noticed how quickly they flake/chip. Then I read some awful stories online about nonstick/teflon and tossed the ones I had. Haven't looked back. I don't need them. The cast iron is best but a good set of stainless is great as well.
Yeah its frustrating when it seems everything is bad... but I just do the best I can to avoid things I don't feel are good.

There are several brands on non-toxic, non-Teflon, non-stick pans on the market now, at a few price points (although none of them are cheap). Scanpan was mentioned, and Green Tek; there's a brand I believe is called Swiss Diamond (it's expensive). Crate and Barrel carries one of the lines, and is reasonably priced - you can order online, as well. I have my old Teflon pans, but I am very cautious about how I use them - I wash by hand, use only plastic or wood utensils, and don't use for high-heat cooking, to prevent deterioration. Once any of it starts flaking, it's being replaced with the non-toxic stuff. I hate they sold us this stuff in the first place, suggesting it was safe. sigh

so there are "safe" non stick cookware? I thought all this non stick stuff was made in a lab by chemical companies. I wonder what they could use that is natural? I'll have to look into it out of curiousity. although I'm quite happy with my cast iron and stainless steel pots/pans.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.