need help from dog lovers.....warning....this is gross

I just saw a tv show with a dog trainer who addressed these issues. The trainer did suggest feeding the dog pineapple because it did something to the taste of the poo. For a dog that eats too fast, the trainer had the owner pretty much hand-feed the dog just a little at a time so the dog couldn't wolf down an entire bowl of food at once. I'm not sure how that helped teach the dog to eat slower and less frantically, but it did.

Erica

I have a pretty funny story about this issue. When we got our dog(golden retriever mix), he was already about 5 yrs old. We had adopted him from a shelter. We already had 3 cats. The cats would sometimes use our dining room carpet to poo on. Well, after we got the dog, I noticed that the cats stopped doing this. One day, I caught the dog in action - the cats hadn't stopped, but the dog had been cleaning up for them! I haven't seen him do it since, but I never see cat messes either! Lucky for me my dog is not a licker, but sometimes he does have awful breath! As gross as this is, I don't think it has had any adverse effects on him, he doesn't go after his own, and he doesn't touch the litter box. So it seems to me that its a win-win situation. :)

Phyllis

Check out picturetrail for my Europe pictures!
I have to exercise early in the morning before my brain figures out what I'm doing :)

http://www.rykat.org/forums/style_emoticons/default/arrowhead.png

http://www.picturetrail.com/pwmatt

>we got the dog, I noticed that the cats stopped
>doing this. One day, I caught the dog in action - the cats
>hadn't stopped, but the dog had been cleaning up for them!

Like a doggie nanny for the cats, LOL!

RE: need help from dog lovers.....warning....this is gr...

I wonder how many calories are in poo?

Just wondering cuz i have 3 dogs and my Boston Terrier eats hers and the other twos as well and we're trying to watch her weight.

RE: need help from dog lovers.....warning....this is gr...

You can try digestive enzymes or anything with them in them: pineapple, meat tenderizer, forbid, etc. Or you can pick it up immediately and hope they outgrow it.

Colleen

UGH my pug does this all the time! When my Cosmo--a large mutt--was around, he'd literally stand behind her waiting for a warm meal! :eek:

I tried everything--changing food, meat tenderizer, supplements from the pet store, nothing worked.

When I asked the vet he said the solution was a simple one: clean up after your dog immediately. ;-)

>I can't believe I even posted this because it's so gross and
>I don't want to offend anyone. x( But my little boy is SOOO
>cute and he JUST started this. He cannot be this cute and
>have such a disgusting habit.

It's really easy, but will require effort on your part.
You will have to pick the poop up immediately. Remove the opportunity and he will out grow the habit.

Rascal did this for a while when he was younger, don't know why. Fortunately we were able to more or less train him out of it. The "LEAVE IT" command is a great tool.

Now to get REEEEEEEEALlY gross, one of the worst messes ever, was when he ate his own poop, came inside, and vomited it up. I have **NEVER, EVER** encountered a stench so bad. I had to put on a respirator to clean it up. :eek: :eek: :eek:

>Rascal did this for a while when he was younger, don't know
>why. Fortunately we were able to more or less train him out of
>it. The "LEAVE IT" command is a great tool.
>
>Now to get REEEEEEEEALlY gross, one of the worst messes ever,
>was when he ate his own poop, came inside, and vomited it up.
>I have **NEVER, EVER** encountered a stench so bad. I had to
>put on a respirator to clean it up. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Gayle,

That sounds awful!!! Maximus had a taste for the poo when he was a pup. I too, quickly trained our boy to leave it alone.

Now, he is THE pickiest eater on the planet. He examines everything I give him.
I feed BARF and their poop turns to white powder in the yard after a day or two.

Kathryn,

My boxers are just like my human children. It's always someone else's kid that will gross you out, but never your own.
And yes, my guys give me kisses on the face.:*

I know eating doo-doo is gross, but I hear that it's normal for a dog to do that. Not that I condone the practice or like it, mind you! And I wish I could make ours stop!

I wish mine would so I wouldn't have to go out and shovel her bombs from the backyard :eek: :7 :7 :7

Yep, as everybody's been saying, this is fairly normal. Do a keyword search for Foster&Smith - they sell something called "Dis-taste" for this very thing. Haven't had to use it with my dogs, but I really like their catalog - these guys are vets, and the items they sell are good quality and relatively inexpensive compared to other vendors.

Beth

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.