Need BC advice

LauraMax

Cathlete
OK I am blushing as I type b/c this is obviously a very personal issue, but I'm semi-comfortable asking here since we're mostly women. :)

So, I'm 43 & have been off the pill for about 3 years. I absolutely do not want to go back on it b/c of my age & family medical history. What "semi-permanent" options are out there? Does the IUD still exist? And I seem to recall that there are a few other relatively new methods but I haven't paid close attention so I can't remember what they were. :eek:

Would those of you who're using some kind of alternative form of BC feel comfortable enough advising me? Of course I will be seeing a doc, but I'd like to do a little research of my own first. Any input would be much appreciated!

The IUD is still around and I've heard good things about it. It's more of a longer-term option like if you don't want to get preggo in the next 5 years or so.

I've been on depo & the pill and I hated both of them. Depo made me depressed and I wasn't a fan of not getting my period every month. The pill made me anxious and caused my BP to skyrocket. Then I tried the Nuvaring and I absolutely LOVED it! You don't have to worry about taking it like the pill and I didn't have crazy mood swings. Some people are kinda squeamish with putting it in/taking it out but I didn't have a problem with it because hello it's your own body ;)

I had a Meridian IUD inserted about 18 months ago and I could not be happier with it. It is good for five years (I'm pretty sure).

I have Implanon and love it. Very low dose hormones, actually helped me lose weight (most BC options have me packing on the pounds), convenient and lasts for three years.

Laura:

what sort of person are you and how is your health?

The Nuvaring worked for me for one year and then unleashed migraines. It is still a hormonal bc method, bear that in mind. Low dose, but effects similar to bcps.

One form of the IUD also comes with hormone steadily released --progestin-- so research this before deciding. IUDs can make periods slightly heavier than normal. If yours are already on the heavy side, maybe avoid this. Otherwise this is an excellent form of bc. It can be removed at any time.

If you are anti bcps because of the hormone risk to your health, than beware of anything implanted in your arm beneath the skin, injected into you (depo provera) and beware patches of all kinds as they all contain hormones. Some, once implanted, will effect you for three months without stop so if you are reacting negatively, that's a whole pile of shit to deal with.

Before I tried the bcps and Nuvaring, both of which I had to give up because the migraines were destroying my life, I used the diaphragm and found it to be the best method for me ever. No hormones, no irreversible effects, no side effects at all, no weight gain, no headaches, no threat to the health of a 40+ year old woman, easy peasy to use. Low cost. You get fitted for it by your doctor and then you are good to go. Not hard to insert, doesn't spoil the mood with a man you know, love, and trust. I will be returning to it.

Clare

I have a Mirena IUD. Actually I am on my second one. I had my first one for 5 years, when it needed to be taken out I had a second one put in. I could not be happier with it. It works not only for its intended function, but also has some wonderful side effects...like no period for 6 years now, no PMS, no migraines that I used to get with my period, no out of control mood swings. Without those monthly fluctuations I feel like a much more centered person. For me the IUD has been wonderful. I hope you find an option that is as comfortable for you as this is for me.

I have had the Merina for 2-3 years now and friggen LOVE IT! I have almost NO period and no issues what-so-ever. I will have to replace it one time - I got it at 40 and will have to replace at 45 - but cannot say enough good about it. Only takes a few minutes to get it and dont have to think about anything afterwards. :)

ETA - the old school IUD does cause heavier periods... BLEECH!! Mirena doesnt...

And I tried the Nuvaring.... and ummm NO - although I couldnt feel it in there day to day - it is a ring that you insert and remove every three weeks - and TMI - but... with anything sexual - you either choose to remove it or whatever... but if you leave it in - it can be felt. It is the size of a normal coated pony tail holder. I does have one of the lowest doses of progesterone though.

Last edited:
I've had a Paraguard (no hormone) IUD for 8 or 9 years now. It's due to be replaced in 2012. No babies!!! ;):D:D:D So it must work. Normally, to have an IUD they prefer you have had at least 1 kid, and I thought you were childless, but I could be wrong? I will replace it with another of the same.

The Mirena IUD has low dose hormones and is good for 5 years, the Paraguard does not, and is good for 10. The Paraguard can cause heavier bleeding and cramps, while the Mirena is supposed to decrease that stuff.

As far as other risks - pregnancy, tubal pregnancy I think they are about the same. I think a tubal pregnancy risk is higher w/ an IUD than with other BC, but the overall pregnancy risk is less than 1%. No STD protection, obviously. They both carry a slight risk of falling out, but from what I understand, if that's going to happen, it will happen during the 1st couple of months.

When I asked my Dr about why the Paraguard has to be replaced after 10 years, if there are no hormones, he said it just makes it easier to get out. The longer it's there, the more risk it implants and then if you want it out, it has to be surgically removed, instead of just pulled out by the Dr. In theory, it could stay forever if you didn't want to get pregnant. The Mirena has to be replaced b/c of the hormones in it.

DH didn't like it at first b/c he could feel the string - it's like fishing line, but the Dr. trimmed it a little shorter and now he's used to it so it doesn't bother him.

I like my IUD, I paid for it once almost 10 years ago, and haven't worried about it since! It was a bit uncomfy to have it put it, and I had cramps for a day, but that was it. I chose the Paragaurd b/c it's hormone free, and BC pills give me nasty headaches, so I didn't want the Mirena with all the hormones in it.

Nan

OK, sounds like the IUD is the way to go, but I am concerned about health issues & hormones, which is why I don't want the pill. I'm 43 & don't want kids (did at one point, but not at my age). My periods used to be like clockwork & very heavy, now they're completely unpredictable. Could be heavy for 6 days, could be nothing at all. I think I'm peri-menopausal but still, need to avoid the risk of pregnancy, lord help me! ;)

So I guess the paraguard would be my preference, except I don't want heavy periods & cramping. :confused: I'll check out the meridian too--if it's hormone free maybe that'll be my best option?

Thanks for the advice on such a sensitive subject, ladies. :)

This is a permanent procedure but it doesnt mess with the hormones in the body. It called Endometrial Ablation. Basically it destroys the uterine lining preventing pregnancy and a period without affecting hormone levels.

Well, I was all ready to give you BOOTCAMP advice! LOL! Guess I'll just sneak right out of this thread! :p

Laura, if you're sure you don't want kids would you consider a permanent procedure? Just curious. I'm often on here when the subject comes up extolling the virtues of my tubal ligation, LOL! Definitely one of the top 10 things I have ever done for myself.

I have a Mirena IUD. Actually I am on my second one. I had my first one for 5 years, when it needed to be taken out I had a second one put in. I could not be happier with it. It works not only for its intended function, but also has some wonderful side effects...like no period for 6 years now, no PMS, no migraines that I used to get with my period, no out of control mood swings. Without those monthly fluctuations I feel like a much more centered person. For me the IUD has been wonderful. I hope you find an option that is as comfortable for you as this is for me.

I have a Mirena also-I've had it for 18 months. I agree with everything. The only difference is that I still get a period but it only lasts 2 days and is really light. I totally recommend it also.

This is a permanent procedure but it doesnt mess with the hormones in the body. It called Endometrial Ablation. Basically it destroys the uterine lining preventing pregnancy and a period without affecting hormone levels.

I had this done...NO affect at all!!!! In fact my period got heavier and lasted longer. Was totally pissed! But it does say will help 9/10 women...I must be that one it doesn't help...just to let you know

Laura, if you're sure you don't want kids would you consider a permanent procedure? Just curious. I'm often on here when the subject comes up extolling the virtues of my tubal ligation, LOL! Definitely one of the top 10 things I have ever done for myself.

Suzanne:

I could not agree more!!!

Lisa

I just turned 39 years old and have one child. I am pretty sure I am done having children now but will give myself until I turn 40 to be sure. If I am not pregnant by then then it's not happening and I will be going the tubal ligation route to avoid any mishaps for sure! Perhaps I should just schedule it for my 40th B'day right now! I can also re-schedule if I lose my mind and am preggo by some chance! :D:p;)

I had this done...NO affect at all!!!! In fact my period got heavier and lasted longer. Was totally pissed! But it does say will help 9/10 women...I must be that one it doesn't help...just to let you know

I don't need it for birth control as I have had a tubaligation already. However, my periods are on and off all month. In fact, I will start doing a Cathe DVD and feel a gush. I've figured this procedure is going to cost about 2,000 and it might make things worse? Nothing is simple is it? Thanks for letting me know your experience.

Sarah

I don't need it for birth control as I have had a tubaligation already. However, my periods are on and off all month. In fact, I will start doing a Cathe DVD and feel a gush. I've figured this procedure is going to cost about 2,000 and it might make things worse? Nothing is simple is it? Thanks for letting me know your experience.

Sarah

Thats waht I ended up paying the insurance company took care of the other 14,000!!!!!! Unbelievable what they charge for an out-patient procedure

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.