mystified by barbells

clareMc

Cathlete
I have purchased the MIS video and currently do all exercises with dumbells. However, I sense I need more weight, especially for the legs and back, and will get different results by using a barbell as the video instructs.

I do not currently own one and have never done so. I have no idea what I am looking for even. What do I need? Which is the best to get for doing MIS and Power Hour? Where do I purchase the recommended barbell?

Thanks for all your help and advice

Clare

hi,
Can you teach me how to lift and unload a heavy barbell properly? From the videos it looks like you push it off your shoulders, bring it down to the clavicle and somehow flip it...why do u have to flip it? Plus are there tricks to getting it up over my head to my back once it gets heavier?

Hi Clare! While it is not mandatory to use a barbell for these videos, I think you will enjoy the versatility of using both hand weights and a barbell over time. Here is a link to a barbell company that we used with Power Hour. I suggest purchasing a barbell along with enough plates to take you to 75 pounds (not that you would be lifting that weight all at once:)!

http://www.troybarbell.com/

Hi Kiwi! Yes the quick flicking of the wrist motion is powered by momentum and used to eliminate as much stress from the shoulder as possible while getting in and out of set up positions. To do this while setting up for squats, bend your knees and pick up the barbell. Stand up with the barbell at your thighs. Now keeping the very bar close to your body pull it up quickly and flick your wrist quickly as you shift the barbell to the clavicle position. Then press the bar over the head and lower it down behind the head to the upper shoulders. To unload the weight, simply reverse the process. If the weight gets to the point of being so heavy that you can not safely lift it up over the head, either get a spotter to assist you or switch to dumbells and hold them at your sides. Good Luck!

I got my barbell at Sports Authority--5 ft. bar that weighs about 15 pounds, came with 2 dumbbell bars & enough weight to get me to 100 lbs on the bar.

Good luck!

Is it okay to use the curved barbell? I noticed Cathe uses the straight bar, but I find I can keep the weight balanced better when using the curved bar. I just feel like I can get a better grip when holding the bar (both underhand and overhand). The curved bar also fits better across the back of my shoulders when doing squats.

Are there any reasons why I should switch to the straight bar?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.