My P90X Results

marcy

Cathlete
My P90X Results

For those of you who haven’t tried it yet and are still interested in what kind of results you’ll get with P90X, I thought I’d post and let you know. I did the Classic Rotation for heavy lifting (8-10 reps).

My goals: To get stronger, have more “cut” arms, reduce body fat, lose inches (not necessarily pounds), be able to do one chinup/pullup, take a break from Cathe; gain back my flexibility

Measurements:

Waist - Lost 1/2 inch
Chest - Lost 1 inch
Hips - Lost 1 inch
Biceps: Gained 1/4 inch
Thighs: Lost ½ inch
Calves - Lost ¼ inch
Body Fat: Went from 23.7% to 22.7%
Weight: Went from 122.6 to 122.0

Resting Heart Rate: Started at 65; ended at 55

Accomplishments:

Went from Size 4/6 to size 0/2
Increased my strength, balance and endurance
Rediscovered love of yoga (found I need it much more and will try and include it in my rotations from now on)
10 reverse grip chinups
4 clapping pushups
16 one arm pushups
being able to hold wall squats for full minute and single leg wall squats for 90 seconds
Able to hold crane pose for 60 secs.
Plank to Chaturanga ISO held for full minute
Did towel hopping for 40 secs.

Toughest moves for me:

B&B - wide and corncob pullups; hammer curls, strip set curls
Core Syn - Plank to chaturanga run (the toughest), towel hopping, wall squats
ARX - fifer scissors, bicycles
CST - Pour flys, weighted circles, floor flies (these never got easier), 2 twitch pushups, clapping pushups

Toughest workout: CST

Favorite workouts: Legs & Back, Core Synergistics, Plyo X, yoga

Most Improvement in a Workout: Chest & Back

Biggest Surprise: Liking pushups! I never knew that many types of pushups existed.

My favorites: Wide Fly, One-Arm, Plange, One-Arm Balance and Diamond

Totals:

Chest & Back - 908 pushups
Chest, Shoulders & Triceps - 457 pushups
Core Synergistics - 296 pushups

For a grand total of: 1,661 pushups! (I guess these really helped because I went down a band and a cup size).

Legs & Back - 9 full chinups
Chest & Back - 1 full chinup

My Journey:

My journey did not start well as the day before I was in the hospital for an asthma attack and was also recovering from a slight shoulder injury. I was determined that the next day was going to be the start of my rotation and nothing was going to stop me. It was planned for months (along with a few other people) and I wanted to start off at the same time with everyone else. I did take it a little easy the first day - I only did one round of Chest & Back. The first week was a little rough but then I was back to normal.

I tried to increase my reps and/or poundage for each workout.

Phase 1: Very tough - was constantly tired and hungry and somewhat irritable.

Phase 2: A lot easier although workouts were harder for me. I had more energy and was less tired.

Phase 3: Felt good but really fell apart with my eating. I was a lot stronger and workouts got easier. Was able to finish workouts in less time. Got burned out on some workouts. Switched Cathe abs for ARX, did Amy Bento’s Hi/Lo Xtreme for Plyo X and substituted Tracey Staehle’s Sweatfest Kickbox for Kenpo.

I couldn’t wait for recovery weeks. Even though they were still tough, it was a welcome change from all the heavy lifting. Also, the workouts were shorter (with the exception of Yoga X) and I was able to finish without a problem.

Chest & Back: Liked this workout - tough, but liked push/pull method. Had more energy this way. Got up to 33# on Heavy Pants, 35# on Lawnmowers and 21# for back flys.

Plyo X: Not as intense as Cathe’s IMAXes but a good, solid workout with room to improve. I started to jump higher, do more moves double time and was able to finish workout in less and less time - definitely improved my endurance.

Shoulders & Arms: Liked this one too. Really liked alternating body parts (instead of exhausting each muscle group a la Cathe). For shoulders, I got up to between 13-19#, biceps - 15-17.5# and triceps - 16.5-19#.

Yoga X: I really did like this workout (even though it was a little long) but after all the wonderful suggestions from everyone, I had to branch out. I did Baron’s Next Challenge (really liked this one) and Ultimate Challenge, David Swenson’s Short Forms and 2nd & 3rd Series (toughest yoga workout I’ve ever done), Mark Blanchard’s Progressive Power Yoga, Yoga Zone’s Power Yoga for Strength & Endurance, Shiva Rea’s Fluid Power (vinyasa but a nice change of pace - you might like this a little more if you have some dance background) and Bryan Kest’s Energize, Tone & Sweat. Yoga really improved my balance and flexibility. Yoga was probably my favorite workout of the entire rotation.

Legs & Back: My least dreaded workout. Liked that it was mostly a non-weighted leg workout and that it stuck in back exercises at exactly the right point not to get too exhausted with legs. Wall squats and chair salutations were toughest for me but gradually improved. Yoga obviously helped with the chair salutations. I made the most gains with chinups/pullups with this workout. I also worked on my balance with the deadlift squats. I only used 5# for the calf raises and lunges.

Back & Biceps: Shortest workout but took me the longest to get through with all the weight changes. For some reason, the hammer curls really got the best of me in this one and there are quite a lot of them.

lawnmowers - 35#
elbows-out lawnmowers - 36#
reverse grip bent-over rows. 31#
21s & One-Arm Cross Body Curls: 16#
Standing Bicep Curls & One-Arm Concentration Curls: 19#
Open Arm Curls: 18#
Static Arm Curls: 15#
Congdon Locomotives, Crouching Cohen Curls and One-Arm Corkscrew Curls: 19#
Seated Bent-Over Back Flys: 21#
Curl Up/Hammer Downs, Hammer Curls, In/Out Hammer Curls: 15#
Strip Set Curls: 19#, 16#, 15# and 13#

Chest, Shoulders & Triceps: Toughest workout. Many different kinds of pushups. Floor Flys never got easier for me.

In/Out Shoulder Flys: 13#
Chair Dips: 45 with leg raise
Pike Presses: 15
Side Tri Rises: 30
Scarecrows and Overhead Tricep Extensions: 14.5#
Y-Presses and Lying Tricep Extensions: 16.5#
Pour Flys: 11.5#
Side-Leaning Tricep Extensions: 16#
Weighted Circles: 8#
Throw the Bomb - 15#
Slo-Mo Throws - 10-12#
Front to Back Tricep Extensions: 13#
Fly-Row-Presses: 12#
Dbbl Cross-Body Blows: 16#

ARX: Tough at first but got easier. First five moves were always tough for me, but I was able to put my arms up for these exercises at the end. Did 50 Mason Twists most times. Didn’t do this as much as I was supposed to. Ran out of time a lot so didn’t always get this done. Sometimes I was able to make it up and sometimes I wasn’t. I can feel a real improvement in my core muscles. This workout definitely helped with balance moves and I was able to hold yoga poses better with a stronger core.

Core Synergistics: Really tough workout but one of my favorites. Had a lot of different moves I never did before. I liked the Dreya Rolls - was able to do little jump at end of each rep by my last CS workout.

Kenpo: Not intense enough for me but still liked the workout. It moved along very quickly for me. I started to use 1.5-2# weights to add to the intensity and it did the trick. I liked all the blocking moves. This was not as intense for me as Cathe’s Kick, Punch & Crunch or Kick Max but was a good workout. I didn’t like all that stretching before the workout. I don’t like stretching cold muscles so I started jumping right to the main part of the workout and adding the stretching at the end. I didn’t do this one as much as I was supposed to since I dance for 3 hours a week, I didn’t feel I need so much cardio.

X Stretch: Nice, feel good workout. Definitely felt stretched out and more flexible from this one. I usually don’t have time for such a long stretch but this felt great during recovery week.

Cardio X: Never did this but might use it for a light workout day in the future.

I tried to follow the eating plan (I picked the eating plan from Phase 2) and was pretty good for the first six weeks but then really fell apart with my eating. I used the portion plan. The nutrition guide was helpful and I actually used a couple of recipes from it. The only thing that really helps me with my eating is writing everything down. Every time I stop writing things down, my weight goes back up.

I feel very happy with my results but I know with more clean eating, I would have had even better results. I feel I accomplished the goals I set for myself. I definitely plan on doing another round of the X but not for a little while (when I will try to be much better with my eating.) I am back on a Cathe rotation this month and am watching my eating carefully and am already seeing results. I've had DOMS every day this week. I still plan on inserting chinups/pullups in my workouts. I don't want to lose momentum and I feel they really helped lean out that back fat. I found I really missed Cathe's warmups and stretches.

I did this with a few other Catheites and it really helped checking in with everyone each day to share the ups and downs.

Marcy

Marcy,

Thank you for sharing your X experience. I graduated earlier this week. I haven't had time to digest all that I've accomplished with the X yet. Still need to take my progress pictures and take the fit test before I go over all my stats. That will have to wait since I injured my foot yesterday. I must say that your strength and endurance progress are much better than mine.

Oh, if my check-in buddies don't mind, maybe we can get together and order X grad tank tops. We only have three recent grads and the minimum order is 6 tank tops.

Ballistic Hugs on a job Well Done!:)
Wendy

Jamarba/Wendy/Gayle/Cody: Thanks for the kind words.

Wendy: I'd be happy to join in with you on your order. Just let me know.

Marcy

Way to go girl!!

Thank you for the thoughtful recap of your journey and accomplishments.

P90x is a fantastic program.

Marcy!
Way to go, girl!! Thank you for posting your experience in detail. What an accomplishment. You should be so proud and I am very happy for you!

Gin:)

Hi, Marcy!
This looks like a tough program; congratulations for completing! How long does this program last? Where can I find info? Thanx, Nancy~~~

Hi Nancy,

Thanks. P90X takes 90 days. If you do a search under P90X, you'll find plenty of threads about it. Also, there's a short recap of each workout on beachbody.com.

Marcy

Marcy, congratulations!!!! I just finished up my first P90X round on Friday!!! It is amazing the results! I will post mine later if you're interested. I'm having trouble w/ my camera loading my after shots, but I did take them y'day!

I didn't follow the eating plan either, just stuck to clean eating. I did Classic w/ doubles after Phase 1. I definitely will keep up the pullups/ chinups as they are so effective! I missed Cathe too & did do Butts & Guts or GS legs for some *good* leg work.

And congrats on getting to a size 0/2!!! That's awesome!

It was great reading your accomplishments, it's great to see how far you can come in 90 days!!

Hi Jess,

Thanks. I would be interested in your results as well. I just did Cathe's BM2 Upper Body 2x premix and she can still wipe me out. Some of the ab work in this was similar to ARX, except Cathe had more reps than Tony but I made it through. I thought ARX was intense at first although it did get easier but Cathe just keeps on going and going...

Congratulations on being a P90X grad!

Marcy

Did all you girls do the P90X classic rotation or something different. I am just finishing the classic rotation and I feel stronger but I havent lost any real weight. I know that my Body fat has changed. Just curious? Kim

I did Classic doubles. I didn't lose any weight (wasn't really looking to lose much), but lost over 10" from my chest, hips, waist, & thighs! And I am a lot stronger, especially w/ the pullups & pushups. HTH!

Thanks, Marcy!! Here are my measurements:

Chest- Down 3" (but yes, I still have jugs!), and down 1.5" (under the band)

Waist- Down 1.5"

Hips- Down 2"

Thighs- Down 1.5" (and let me tell you how thrilled I am with this, I haven't been able to shrink my thighs in AGES!) , so 3" total

Arms- STS (stayed the same) but look a LOT more defined!

So I didn't lose any weight, but lost 10.5"!

And my fit test results:

Before:
1. 1/4 pull up: (couldn't hardly lift myself at all!)
2. 10" vertical leap
3. 38 pushups (manlies or on toes)
4. 8" reach past toes
5. 4 minute wall squat
6. 12 reps @ 20 lbs
7. 50 in & outs

After:
1. 4 wide pullups, 2 close pullups, 5 chinups!!!!! (My goal was to do just ONE so I WAY bypassed that goal!)
2. 13" (thanks to Plyo!)
3. 50 pushups (on toes) and could probably do another set!!!
4. 10" reach past toes (thanks to Yoga!)
5. SEVEN minute wall squat!!! I was going for 5 minutes and then just kept going!
6. 20 reps @ 20 lbs
7. 80 in & outs

I'm planning to do another round in August, I think I'm going to start on the 20th. I'm going to do Classic Doubles & add in more Cathe leg/ butt work this round! :p

Marcy,
Wow! What a very detailed and informative summary of your workouts and success! I started another round of P90X yesterday (classic). I have done the lean and the classic before, then I took a break and did some running and Cathe workouts, along with Squeeze. I feel I need a more structured routine now, so I am going to revisit P90X. I am going to substitute Cathe cardio workouts for P90X cardio just because I will miss Cathe if I don't do her workouts for 90 days. I didn't really care for the P90X cardio workouts, so I will give this a try.
Thanks again for sharing!
-Jen

Marcy,

Congratulations! Thanks for the great detail. I've been on fence on whether or not to purchase P90X and now I may go for it.

Thanks,

That's what I did too, Jen. I did sub IMAX 2 for Plyo a couple times, I subbed KickMax or KPC for Kenpo (never could get my heart rate up on that workout!), and did her B & G as an *extra* leg workout. I can't give up my Cathe for 90 days, no way!! ;-)

Congrats !!!! Great results!

Wow our rotations sound similar. I'm on phase 3 of my 3rd round and has added in quite a bit of cathe.

First round - classic
2nd round - TJ doubles
this round - doubles (either Tj - or 1/2 of Imax in the am - empty stomach) - added in B&G as an extra day. Subbed L&G for L&B. I figure one day of back is enough.

I was feeling really good but this am took close up shots of my trouble areas outside in the sun - DUMB move huh!

Marcy - CONGRATS!! great results!

Jess congrats on the 3 inches lost on the thighs and the pullups! WOW. VERY impressive! GREAT work!

Hi Everyone!

Thanks again for all the kind words.

Jess - Awesome results! I still have jugs too but it feels great to be smaller in that area. 7 min. wall squat -- SUPERB! 80 in and outs! Very impressive! All right, I'm going to have to do another rotation to catch up to you!:) If you use hand weights during Kenpo, it helps with the intensity.

Jen - I agree the X cardio workouts weren't intense enough for me so I'll probably substitute IMAXes on Plyo X day although at the end, I liked seeing how high I could get in Plyo X and how much I could go double time. I always looked at Dom for inspiration.

Jane - Go for it! You won't be sorry.

Robyn - Can't wait to hear your results. Wow, 3 rounds! WTG!

Marcy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.