My neighbor shot my dog

Jesus! That is just un-freakin-believable! What the hell is wrong w/this person that he would harm an innocent animal?

Press charges & sue the crap out of him. This must be the sickest, most twisted thing I've heard in a long time.

I'm so sorry this happened to you! So very sad!

I am saddened, shocked, and angered by this.

Though it will not bring your beloved dog back, I hope you can find some legal remedy for this. People shouldn't be allowed to shoot whatever they wish.

i can not imagine what you and your family are going through right now. I will say a prayer for your doggie and your family.

I have always found this poem comforting in the times that an animal is lost.

Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

That is just so awful. I am so sorry for your loss. How anyone could hurt an animal and dump it like that really escapes me. And labs are SO friendly and sweet. Punishing the guy who did it won't bring your sweet dog back, but hopefully it will stop him from hurting someone else's pet in the future. I agree that if he's unstable enough to kill a pet that I'd be afraid for my kids to get anywhere near his property.

Again, my condolences are with you and your family.

My husband and I really think that our neighbor just shot him just because he wanted something to shoot. I think that is the worst part. When we filed the report with the police, they knew this guy and without giving more info than they can legally, he implied that they have had a lot of problems with this jerk.

Thank you all for the support..

I am OUTRAGED on your behalf and on behalf of your dog. Just a puppy at that.

WTF? Just...God, I am speechless!

People suck.

Please accept my condolences.

Jeanine

We find beauty in the most incomprehensible places and the otherwise homely faces. It is our gift to see beyond the dirt, terror, sadness and defeat and find the true soul that lies within. We are Rescue.
www.cfgdr.org

Oh my!!! Words cannot even tell you what I'm feeling for you right now! Poor thing!! My dogs are like my children. I would be devestated. I'm so sorry!!

OMG! Where do you live??? This is an outrage and the saddest thing. I am sickened and feel so bad for you, I just cannot imagine!

Ok Mindy, I also share in the condolances for your loss, but I must have missed it. How do you know that this person shot your dog and dumped him in the ditch? Perhaps he is "crazy" (though you say "some say he is crazy") and perhaps the police have had trouble with him in the past, but how did your family make the connection that he was the one who did this awful thing? It just sounds odd, esp if as you say, he has never complained to you. Have you heard him yelling at your dog when your dog went on his property? How far behind you does he live - I mean 6 acres is a pretty vast expanse? I truly feel for you loss, but before I share in the damnation of this person I'd feel better knowing that it really was him.

Lorrie

www.picturetrail.com/lsass

I feel horrible reading about this. I'm so sorry.

Here in the great state of Montgomery County, Maryland, if your dog goes into another person's yard and the neighbor feels threatened, they are within their right to defend their property (children, livestock, etc.). This means it is legal for that person to shoot your animal (to kill it, not just scare it or hurt it) if it is their property. However, they cannot shoot onto your property to prevent your dog form coming onto theirs.

However, although you have to say admit dogs are not predictable, the fact that he shot a dog as goofy and friendly as a lab makes me sick.

I'm so sorry...

Susan L.G.

I'm really sorry to hear about your dog.
It's too horrible to imagine.

I know you said you have 6 acres with a fence, but with some nut shooting your dog, you might want to get an invisible fence around your property so your next pet won't get out.

Did the police say whether or not their going to able to prosecute?
Where do you live? do they have animal cruelty laws?
How old is the neighbor? If he's a young kid or teenager, you might want to get social services involved. Is he an old coot?

How did you know it was your neighbor?

>Ok Mindy, I also share in the condolances for your loss, but
>I must have missed it. How do you know that this person shot
>your dog and dumped him in the ditch? Perhaps he is "crazy"
>(though you say "some say he is crazy") and perhaps the police
>have had trouble with him in the past, but how did your family
>make the connection that he was the one who did this awful
>thing? It just sounds odd, esp if as you say, he has never
>complained to you. Have you heard him yelling at your dog
>when your dog went on his property? How far behind you does
>he live - I mean 6 acres is a pretty vast expanse? I truly
>feel for you loss, but before I share in the damnation of this
>person I'd feel better knowing that it really was him.
>
>Lorrie
>
>www.picturetrail.com/lsass

Another nearby neighbor saw our dog go into their yard, heard a gunshot, then they saw the guy dump something in the back of his truck and leave. Appearantly this guy likes to shoot things, he has shot at their house and shoots random things in the yard (deer, hogs, coyotes). So the neighbor that saw what happened called my husband to let him know. He shot my dog at 11:15am (according to the neigbors) and I saw him washing out the back of his truck around 11:45. And now that the shooter knows we have called the police and filed a report, he has left. Usually if you are innocent, you dont run from the police. So I feel pretty confident that he did do it.

I have never heard him yell at my dog, he has never complained or anything. Again, I think he just likes to shoot things and my dog was an easy target.

Do you have a local chapter of PETA? Do you think they could give you some advice? Also, are you in the city limits? Isn't it illegal to discharge a weapon in the city? I don't know what your finances are like, but I would slap him with a lawsuit if at all possible financially. Since you can't shoot him and dump him in the ditch, I guess legal means are all you have. I am so sorry that someone would harm a member of your family like that.

>I'm really sorry to hear about your dog.
>It's too horrible to imagine.
>
>I know you said you have 6 acres with a fence, but with some
>nut shooting your dog, you might want to get an invisible
>fence around your property so your next pet won't get out.
>
>Did the police say whether or not their going to able to
>prosecute?
>Where do you live? do they have animal cruelty laws?
>How old is the neighbor? If he's a young kid or teenager, you
>might want to get social services involved. Is he an old coot?
>
>
>How did you know it was your neighbor?

We live in Enterprise Alabama and if we can prove it, we can prosecute. The crazy man is 40ish, he doesn't work and he lives with his parents. He also has had some "stalking" issues with other neighbors. I just think he is not mentally all there.

How horrible! I'm so sorry for your loss. Why is your neighbor carrying a gun around anyway? That would definitely concern me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.