My ipod just died!

SirenSongWoman

Cathlete
I was just coming to the end of challenge 1 (Cardio Coach 5) when it froze. The PAUSE signal was on and I can't get it off. It's one of the old ipod nano's (the long, skinny 4GB type) and was often a little shaky but now it's not working at all. The screen is blank and it won't come back on. I don't know why this stuff always happens after my two off days (Tuesday/Wednesday). I really don't need the expense right now but I really need my Cardio Coach. Sorry. I'm just really frustrated, don't know what to do, and just had to vent. Thanks.

D*mn.

This actually happens to me on a pretty regular basis with every iPod I own. Usually it just *resets* itself within a minute or two(although you do lose your place on whatever you were listening to) although I have had it last for over an hour, in that case I just plug it in and leave it which is a little frustrating.

I doubt that it is *dead* more like in a little coma. :)

That happened to me once. Sometimes they just freeze up and you might be able to reset it. There's a tutorial on Apple's website that will show you how to do it. It worked for me! http://www.apple.com/support/ipodnano/earlier/

Oh here, this page tells you how to rest it. http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/tutorials/troubleshooting.html

Thanks, Michelle. Tried everything but the PAUSE symbol will not disappear, no matter how many times I toggle the lock/unlock switch. I don't know when I'm going to have time to run to the Apple store but it looks like that's what I need to do. Thanks.

This has happened to me several times too. Try the reset that Michele posted a link to. That has always worked for me. Not sure of the key combination, but you basically hold down several of the directional buttons at the same time and it resets. Give that a go before giving it up for dead. ;)

If you have an Apple store near you, they have free help at their "genius bar." You can make an appt over the internet through the Apple website or just walk in. Good luck!

Okay, it's working now. Although it was fully charged I plugged it into the charger and let it sit. Lo and behold, the PAUSE symbol disappeared and it's now unfrozen. Of course, my morning CC workout time is over and I have to hit the shower in five minutes...

It sounds to me like these "freezing" issues happen a lot to a lot of ipod owners and I was wondering if this happens a lot with non-Apple mp3 players or if it's an Apple issue? I doubt I'm going to feel like hitting the treadmill when I get off work tonight (whatever time THAT may be) and this is my cardio day... I moved all my workouts to mornings to avoid the consistency issues that plagued my post-work workouts and I'm afraid my mp3 issues are only just beginning. Man. This just blows.

Thank you all for letting me vent and wale.

I've had my iPod Nano for about 2 years now, and aside from that one time when it froze, I've never had any other problems with it. I have the slim, black 8 GB Nano if that makes any difference.

I have the 2nd generation nano like you do. I've had several freezing episodes, so my DH typed out the instructions on a small piece of paper and slipped it in between the back of the nano and my clear plastic case, facing outward, so that if it happens to me at the gym, I can see the instructions thru the plastic and reboot. The instructions read as follows:

1. Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again).
2. Press and hold the Menu and Center (Select) buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 8 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

Don't buy a new nano, just buy a clear plastic case. :)

Last edited:
It sounds to me like these "freezing" issues happen a lot to a lot of ipod owners and I was wondering if this happens a lot with non-Apple mp3 players or if it's an Apple issue?

I have owned many Mp3 players since 1999. The iPod was the worst one I owned. Constant freezing, skipping, battery dies for no reason. I don't have issues with any other players.

Yes, I have heard the iPOD is less than stellar and that the Sansa is pretty good (I own one) I am debating getting the iPOD next but when people make such comments I think "hhhmmmmm...Do I really want to put myself through that" The problem is everything is geared to iPODS.

My DH just bought the iPod Touch and he LOVES it. It has a beautiful screen and he enjoys downloading and watching his favorite German TV programs. He hasn't had any complaints at all. I've never owned any other kind of MP3 player so I have nothing to compare it too, but I love my Nano. I honestly have never had a lick of trouble with it.

Yes, I have heard the iPOD is less than stellar and that the Sansa is pretty good (I own one) I am debating getting the iPOD next but when people make such comments I think "hhhmmmmm...Do I really want to put myself through that" The problem is everything is geared to iPODS.

That's exactly the problem. EVERYTHING is geared towards the ipod. And my laptop is a Mac so I worry using another mp3 will be a bigger hassle. Most of my co-workers love the newer nano but the older one's (like mine) get so-so marks. I just could not get the PAUSE off that thing, no matter what. The only thing that worked was plugging it into the charger and leaving it sit. But it blew my workout, which is the thing that really angered me because my time is so limited that I had to forgo one of my rare cardio sessions.

Since my Nano never acts up at work but acts up considerably when I'm on the treadmill, where I continually mist myself with water, I wonder if moisture is the real issue... I'm doing Cardio Coach again on Saturday. This time the Nano is going in a protective ziplock bag, where it's going to stay. If I have no further problems I'll know moisture was the issue. I really wish I'd gotten an armband when they came out with those things.

Thank you all for your advice.

Yes this has happened to me on the treadmill while I was ABOUT to finish my last mile, and poof the thing freezes. I has to walk a half a mile to TRY to reset the thing.
I noticed mine will only do that when I am running extremely fast and I can feel the Ipod really bouncing all over the place!! :eek:
I am glad you got it to work, isnt it like having your car break down?
Have a good Friday!!
Angie

I also have a 2nd gen nano, but have had little trouble with it. It gets a bit wonky when the battery gets really low. But I have also had it in a double silicon case since I got it. The only part that is exposed are the connections and hold button.

I don't think the 3rd gen nano would work for me because of its shape. I like to hold the nano in my hand while I'm exercising, and the 2d gen fits my hand perfectly. Also, I don't really need the larger screen, as all I use the screen for is choosing songs. I agree about the "pause" button! It's a pain! And so is shutting it off. But I still love the thing. :rolleyes:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.