Music

Faithnveggies

Cathlete
What kind of music would you wish for? I love Top 40 remake fitness music /power mixes, am I the only one? I especially like music from BM2, LIC Cardio Hits, 4DS.

When filming, does Cathe have music or is that layered in later? How do we end up with the no music option?

It is so personal, too bad there is no way to make everyone happy. I am so motivated when there is music I like but have a dread factor when I actively dislike the music (which isn't often).

Music in Cathe Videos

When we film Cathe usually has music playing in the background so she and the crew can stay on beat. There are exceptions to this for workouts like STS which don't follow a beat. In cases like this the workouts are filmed without music and then the music is added in during editing.

Cathe's voice is recorded through the microphone she wears onto a separate audio track. The mike Cathe wears only picks up sound within a few inches of her mouth, so the background music is not picked up by her mike. Instead, music is recorded on a separate track directly from the source which is just a high end cd player.

The vocal and music tracks are then mixed together with the video for the normal play mode. Since these are all perfectly synced when they are recorded the vocals, music and video will match perfectly.

For vocals only option we just play the unmixed vocals only track instead of the mixed tracks.

I am one of those people that really does not get affected by what kind of music is playing. I mean, yes I love recognizable popular music, but it's not a deal breaker for me to like/dislike the w/o.

I have no special music request for Cathe's new workouts. All I care about is getting my butt kicked :eek:

Natasha

What kind of music would you wish for? I love Top 40 remake fitness music /power mixes, am I the only one? I especially like music from BM2, LIC Cardio Hits, 4DS.

It is so personal, too bad there is no way to make everyone happy. I am so motivated when there is music I like but have a dread factor when I actively dislike the music (which isn't often).

Faithnveggies, ITA on the bolded bits - there are so many great workouts that I don't do cos I don't like the music! I use the one device to play my workout dvds and music so I can't listen to different music and use the "music off" option unless I put earphones on and that ain't gonna work!

I absolutely love the music in LICircuit, BM2, Imax 2/C&W, SJP, KPC, Low Max etc but totally understand that with the change in legal requirements, using "real" songs has become a very complex and extremely costly process these days. Have to confess I'm not a big fan of the "soundalikes" although I know they are extremely popular with many of you out there - yeah I know, you can't please us all, can you Cathe! Personally I'd much rather hear some original "pumping" motivating music (such as in 4DS) than "soundalikes" (ok put the tomatoes down people). One thing I really miss though is the "Music Louder" option and would like to put a special request in for a return of this option in the new workouts.

The Intensity/Lower Body Blast/High Reps music was fabulous. I actually did Afterburn this morning and I could have sworn I heard one of the songs again in an instrumental without the lyrics.

I usually skip the cooldown, but when I did "step blast" last week I was so motivated to do it simply because I love the Tracy Chapman song - "Fast Car" - that plays during the cooldown. It's not actually Tracy singing, but I think the artist sounds pretty similar.

There are definitely some of Cathe's workouts that have better music than others, in my opinion. But, having said that, it's not a deal breaker for me. I pick a workout based on the workout itself, never on the music. It is a sweet bonus, though, when there's a motivating song playing!!

I hope the two new DVDs are sweat inducing, fun, invigorating and butt-kicking workouts. :p I'm sure Cathe will not disappoint!

I also agree with Natasha! The music doesnt bother me either! I just focus on Cathe and the crew and push through the workouts!!!! :)

Thanks SNM for sharing about how the workouts are filmed.

I didn't think music I dislike was a deal breaker either until I actually ran into some that I really disliked; but what I dislike may get someone else jazzed up- so who's to say.

Anyway, that was why I was wondering what others particularly enjoy.

I also wondered how much legality and cost impact the final music choices, too.

This is such a difficult topic because you can't please everyone. Music is very important to me because it helps keep me motivated! I like all of Cathe's music choices. Of course, there are some I like better than others...(I love 4DS music tracks and I even like Totol Body Trisets!)...but overall, I like Cathe's selections (vocals or not), and I'm confident I will like the music selections for the preorders too.

I do wish they would bring back the louder music option though! (Pleasssee!)

-T

I also love the kind of music in LIC, BM2, SJP, etc. I wish it was easy for SNM to give us this fun music. I like the music in Intensity too. Really don't care for the music in Total Body Trisets (I turn it off and am thankful for that option).

I'm really looking forward to the new workouts!

When we film Cathe usually has music playing in the background so she and the crew can stay on beat. There are exceptions to this for workouts like STS which don't follow a beat. In cases like this the workouts are filmed without music and then the music is added in during editing.

Cathe's voice is recorded through the microphone she wears onto a separate audio track. The mike Cathe wears only picks up sound within a few inches of her mouth, so the background music is not picked up by her mike. Instead, music is recorded on a separate track directly from the source which is just a high end cd player.

The vocal and music tracks are then mixed together with the video for the normal play mode. Since these are all perfectly synced when they are recorded the vocals, music and video will match perfectly.

For vocals only option we just play the unmixed vocals only track instead of the mixed tracks.

Cool! I wondered how it was done. Thanks for the response.
If Cathe ever does a STS 2, I would love it if they could use music for filming the warmup. It drives me nuts that the movement is sometimes "off" with the music. But the warmup is short and STS is awesome, so I deal with it.;)

I just did Drill Max for the first time today, got it 30 percent off when I pre-ordered. THAT music was awesome the whole way through. What a great workout that turned out to be!

I absolutely love the music from Low Max and IMax 2 - I love the techno/beat music but, like the others, I will love Cathe workouts no matter what the music is.

cammie-cam said:
The Intensity/Lower Body Blast/High Reps music was fabulous. I actually did Afterburn this morning and I could have sworn I heard one of the songs again in an instrumental without the lyrics.

ITA with you, Cammie. I love exercising to hit songs, but the soundalike songs skirt legalities for Cathe and I love to sing along (when I can breathe!). These workouts have the most inspirational music, IMHO. Not so crazy about the music in the newest series - some of it sounds tinny and amateurish. Hope Cathe goes back to the soundalikes for the two new workouts. That would make me really happy.

Since I work out in the morning, I need good, upbeat music to wake me up.

Choreography is my first criteria when deciding which workout to purchase but the music score comes in at second place.

Another vote for the Top 40 recognizable music such as in Low Max, Imax2 (even the fake vocals as I don’t know the difference singing along!). As some others noted I also personally find it very motivating and desperately need inspiration to try to keep up with Cathe’s workouts—so it’s a quasi deal breaker

I usually like most Cathe music but really do not care for new Low Imact Series soundtrack for some reason IMO it doesn’t have a fun vibe so have tended to skip those workouts (with exception of Yoga ones) even though the choreography and everything else is spectacular. For instance this am did Cardio Supersets and all the while was missing the rocking music of the original Supersets.

I recognize that music is intensely subjective and probably a big factor in cost but am holding out hope for a return to some of the oldies but goodies in next new videos or maybe that decision has already been made?

Last edited:
I did Cardio and Wts this morn and BG recently, I want to add those to my "love this music" list. why do you build me, buttercup....(yes I *am* singing it all day long)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.