muscle weakness

lesliemarie

Cathlete
Hi Cathe
I have been stepping for awhile now, but the last three days I have noticed that my muscles are either going numb or weak and making it hard to step, I am stepping at 6" and can really do the power without feeling the weakness but when I do the low impact after an interval I really feel the weakness, I rather keep things more high moving. I feel great during the day, could it be coming from the back? or do I need to keep up with the ankle weight work on my legs, I have almost stopped doing that.

Leslie,

Could be your shoes. The cushioning and shock absorption might be worn out. Are your shoes specifically made for aerobics and stepping? It is very important to have shoes specific to the sport you are doing. Most aerobic shoes are made for both floor aerobics and step aerobics so you do not need a special pair for each. It is not recommended to step in a running or walking shoe because the cushioning for those shoes will not protect your foot in the proper places. If your ankles are bothering you, choose a shoe with good lateral support. I have weak ankles from years of gymnastic sprains and find a mid-cut shoe provides great ankle support.

Also, it is best to put a day of rest in between like cardio workouts so you do not overtrain. If you are stepping on consecutive days, perhaps try every other and see if that helps.

These are some suggestions and thoughts.

-Roe

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.