muscle animations

while i think the muscle animations will be interesting and informative.... i beg you please offer them either on a separate track or with a turn off feature! they'll be fun to see once... maybe even twice... but about the third time you do a dvd and have to re-watch them, they'll be annoying.... that's one of the bad things about dvd's... instructors (all, not just cathe) forget that these will be used over and over and the repetitive stuff can be grating (and annoying)

so please consider having them on a separate chapter/extra or as a separate choice (i.e. with animations/without animations/with music/withoug music/etc)

thanx
-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

I completely agree with you that is the first thing that i thought of when i saw that, i would prefer to just hear music over constant repetition, after awhile i get to where i want to pull my hair out if i have to hear ir again. Just my opinion. Melissa

I'm really excited about the muscle animations because it will give us time to fully rest between sets of exercises. I will often hit the pause button until I feel ready to move on to the next set when I'm really trying to lift heavy, now I won't have to make sure my remote control is nearby. Also I think they will be a great way to mentally prepare for the next set.

Maria

I agree.

I truly love that Cathe is taking superior steps to educate us, and personally I find biomechanics and kinesiology fascinating. However, considering the mental and physical focus that these new workouts will require, listening to a anatomy lesson could be one layer too many.

Please consider just playing some really motivating music. Those of us who are dedicated exercisers know that there is a lot of down time between sets. Based on my opinion only, I really don't need to be entertained between sets. I am just trying to build up the will to go on to the next one;)

Thanks for listening.

Debbie Russo

The animations will not be in anyway annoying or make you lose focus. They are not going to be a kinesiology lesson, but instead quick simple graphics that will occasionally pop up for a few seconds between some segments to graphically show what Cathe is talking about.

Well, I for one, really like the idea of some education during the rest periods. Something needs to fill the time and if the other options are to look at a blank screen with "motivating music" during the rest period, or to watch Cathe and crew take deep breaths with motivating music ... I much prefer to be educated, even if I hear the education again when I do the dvd again later in the year ... remember each DVD is only going to be seen once during the entire 3 month rotations ... not enough to get too bored with an educational piece. Besides repetition is part of learning theory.

Thanks Cathe and SNM for giving us the educational material!

Deb

Well said Deb... I agree.... It is not like we are seeing the same DVD each workout - each DVD will only be seen once in 3 months - I think we can all handle it without being 'annoyed'... I think it is a great idea/addition...

I agree with Deb and Anne. And I think that Cathe always seems to keep in mind that we will be doing these videos more than once or twice. That's what makes her the best! I think that learning more is always a great idea, knowledge makes it so that you're doing more than just going through the movements and doing what someone tells you to do.

I think it's a great idea, too! I'm just finishing up a three-week set of S&H, and one of the things I really love about those workouts is how Cathe gives form pointers during the longer rest periods. It always helps me cue in on my form!

I think it's a great idea :)! I find that the more I understand about what I am to be working and the right way to do it, the better and more effective my workout becomes.

I really like the concept and think it will be extremely useful. I appreciate Cathe's form reminders and a visual is even better! I've read that visualizing the muscle that is being worked while lifting wts and can greatly enhance progress. I think this kind of graphic will really help me in that regard. Thanks for being so innovative SNM!

Jonahnah
Chocolate IS the answer, regardless of the question.

I'm VERY excited about the animations and think it's an excellent addition to this series. I often refer to a muscle anatomy book during workouts so that I can visualize the muscle(s) being worked. It helps me with focus and form, so having these animations pop up just when I need to see the muscle I'm working on is a "bonus" I can't wait to see.

ahhhhh... so graphics and NOT talking? that's a different story! i don't always look at the tv when working out anyways.... i thought you meant that someone (cathe) would be explaining these little graphics!

i was concerned about having to HEAR the same lesson each time we do the dvd! pictures are another whole story!

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

but remember... we are going to be working the same pars and most likesly doing several of the same exercises... so i'm assuming that the same graphics/lessons will be used on multiple dvds... (i.e. tricep kickbacks.... i'm sure we'll be doing them several times over the course of the 4 months... so that will be numerous times we'll be seeing the very same graphics!

-------------

http://www.picturetrail.com/desertbriez

I agree. I was excited to read this in the blog. I love the idea of getting an education while I'm working out. The repitition doesn't bother me at all. Thanks, Cathe.

The scenario is something like this. Cathe and the crew have just finished an exercise and are getting ready for the next exercise. Cathe might say something like, “ okay, next we will be working our Triceps with an exercise that puts special emphasis on the lateral head of the tricep”. As Cathe says this an animated graphic appears as a video insert small pop up window showing where the “lateral head” of the Tricep is located and then the animation will show what this muscle head does. This will just be a pop up window in the corner of your TV and you will still see Cathe and or the crew. This will help everyone to more clearly understand what Cathe is saying.

Without the animated visual Cathe’s words would be meaningless for many. Animated graphics when done right bring clarity to what otherwise would be confusing. Using the above as an example; currently only a small percentage of people who exercise know what and where the lateral head of a tricep is located. But after listening to Cathe and seeing the animated graphic everyone who does STS will know what and where this muscle head is located and what it does.

To me the definition of boring is not learning anything new. Animated graphics are anything but boring and when done right I think you will really appreciate them and most definitely learn something that you didn’t already know. I understand telling a joke on a video gets old after the 1 st time, but animated graphics when done correctly can be watched one-hundred times and still not be irritating or boring.

>Will the muscle animation look like women, men, or will both
>genders be represented?

I thought I was being a bit pernickety but I wondered that as well. I'm so glad to hear both genders are included.

P.S. If the male cast members on STS look anything like the animation demos shown, I think female heart rates might go up for all the wrong reasons!! ;-) }(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.