Moving to Cleveland - anyone from there?

tigerb8

Cathlete
My son is a recent college grad and accepted a position in the Cleveland, OH area. He will be working in Wycliffe. Is anyone from the Cleveland area and can you offer any info regarding best places to live or places to stay away from. DS will be doing his apt. search online rather than in person so it would be great if someone who knows the area could recommend good areas. DS is single, 22 and would like to be in a "happenin" area.

Thanks for any help!

All I know is that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is there (and the building looks really cool...it was designed by I.M. Pei.)

That's my complete knowledge of Cleveland...Oh, and according to the Presidents of the United States of America (the band, not the guys who've lived in the White House), "Cleveland Rocks."

I live fairly close to Wickliffe(about 30 minutes away), but I'm too old to know where the "happenin" areas are.:p

ETA: I don't know where you're from, but NE Ohio is a great place to live! :) I hope that your ds is happy here.

Erica

We live in Louisiana so it will be quite a change for DS to live in NE Ohio. We lived in Norhtern KY for a couple years and traveled into OH but never made as far north as Cleveland. I hope he does love it there. Thanks for your reply.

Tracy, we get lots of snow here and have long winters. I moved here from FL - it's definitely a big change, but I love it.

Erica

We actually lived in VA for 9 years before returning to LA. We got a good amount of snow in VA so the snow won't bother DS. He LOVES to snowboard so he'll be looking for nearby resorts to ski on.

Does Wickliffe offer any newer apartments? He really hasn't investigated Wickliffe much as he thought it might be more fun to live in the city. But it might not be bad to live near work if there are great places nearby??

Thanks for your help Erica.

Tracy - I don't know that there really are any "happenin' places" in Cleveland. :( I'm so diappointed in this city. I'm from the eastern suburbs - only a little west of Erica and I see the city's political leaders taking it into more decline all the time. And I love Cleveland. I went to college here (CWRU) and then went out to California for law school. Didn't even cross my mind not to come back because it WAS such a great place.

But I see no real leadership, and a decline in all services and social outlets. I hope I'm wrong for your son's sake and that he finds the social climate different (I'm also older with family so not into the real night life anymore). DH and I used to have orchestra tickets and on Friday nights after the concerts just wanted to go out for coffee. Friday nights at 10:30 and most of the downtown restaurants and clubs were closed - pathetic.

Wickliffe is on the east side and I don't know if there's been any revitalization there or not. Willoughby has some nice areas (Pine Ridge apts) as does Mayfield Heights if he wants to stay on the east side. There are always some nice houses for rent - he may want to look into one of those home rental listing services. Good luck to him! (Go Tribe!)

Lorrie

I'll be walking the Komen 3-day (60 miles) the week after Cathe's RT. Here's my webpage.
https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=202302&supid=166016627

Lorrie!

DH and I both went to CWRU also - that's where we met! My oldest DS will graduate high school in two years and he's thinking about CWRU and I would love it if he goes (except for the cost!).

Erica

RE: Lorrie!

Have any of you heard of Ursuline College in Pepper Pike, OH. I went there for a year and a half before I ended up moving and joining the Army. My parents left Cleveland October of 2006 because the jobs just aren't there anymore. Cleveland is a great place with a lot to do but job wise and stuff it just is on the decline in my parents' situation anyways. My brother is about to move here to Texas too from Cleveland because it isn't what it used to be and he's tired of the long winters.

RE: Lorrie!

I live about 2hrs away but I go to cleveland about every 3months. I have a friend I grew up with that moved there 10yrs ago.

Someone on VF let me know about your post. We moved from NE Ohio ( hubby and I both born and raised in Cleveland) in June because of my job. I don't know any "happenin" areas either, but I enjoyed living there. Any of the suburbs or outlying areas would be best right now. The city itself needs some work ... and some better leadership. I'm ever hopeful ... :)

The Rock-N-Roll Hall of Fame is there, the Art Museum, a world-class orchestra, opera, plays, and plenty of great food! The Zoo is fantastic and the one here in Nashville doesn't come close to it. Tell DS to stay away from the Flats. Too much crime lately, especially at night. Wickcliff is a nice area. He should live on that side of downtown since he'll be working there, because the traffic trying to cross town during rush hour can be awful. I haven't lived in that particular area in close to 20 years, so I'm sure the apartment situation is different now than it was, but even back then there were very nice places to live.

I hope this helps a little! If you have more specific questions please feel free to email me at [email protected]. I can't check personal email from work but will do my best to check it at home each evening, and give you more suggestions if you need them.

Carol
:)

Hi,

My DH is from the east side of Cleveland, and works in Beachwood. We live in a suburb just north of Akron, but we are in Cleveland often due to our frequency to visit his folks in Lyndhurst and to do some fun things downtown occasionally.

There are some nice apartment complexes in the Willoughby area, right by Route 91, and the highway is close by also. Downtown wise, the happening areas are Tremont and Coventry ( very artsy area ), and the Warehouse District ( very sophisticated.) I would stay far away from the Flats ( crime and desolation). Mayfield is okay, but some areas are not very nice.

Hey! I graduated from CWRU as well! I loved the school.

I did graduate in 1989, though, so I guess I'm really showing my age.

Susan L.G.

Susan - I was there from 9/85-12/86. I got married to DH then and transferred to University of Akron after we got married and bought a house. So, I would have graduated in '89 as well! In fact, we attended my roommate's graduation in '89.

Showing my age also...

Erica:)

I feel like I've hijacked this thread - sorry!

Susan - I was there from 9/85-12/86. I got married to DH then and transferred to University of Akron after we got married and bought a house. So, I would have graduated in '89 as well! In fact, we attended my roommate's graduation in '89.

Showing my age also...

Erica:)

I feel like I've hijacked this thread - sorry!

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I relayed all info to my DS and he ended up finding a great apt. in Willowick.

Thanks for all your help in identifying the areas to consider and the areas to stay away from. It truly was a great help.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.