Morning Workouts

LaBonita

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get up in the mornings? Mornings are the only time I can work out (I only have a 1/2 hour lunch - when I take a lunch - and evenings are jam-packed). I hate getting up in the mornings. I always have the best intentions, and normally can wake up 1 or 2 days, but then I start to slack and can't get myself out of bed. Any tricks anyone uses? I may try the alarm on the other side of the room thing, but I wanted to know if anyone had any tricks up their sleeves that help them get out of bed in the mornings? Thanks for the help!! :D

I get up at 3am every morning (except Sunday, my day of rest) to workout. I always used to workout in the evenings but then I changed gears and started working out in the morning so it wasn't so late by the time we ate dinner and then it free'd up my nights to do what ever else I needed to do.

I consider myself fortunate that I don't have any problems getting up early in the morning to workout. I do have days where I don't feel like working out but I know if I don't get myself up I'm going to feel lousy later on for not working out. The guilt gets to me so I just get up and I always know that once I get started, I'm fine.

I would maybe try the alarm across the room so you have to get out of bed to turn it off.

Unfortunately I'm not much help but once you stay consistent with it, it does become easier and your body gets used to waking up earlier.

Good Luck and I hope you find something that works for you. I do like getting my workout done in the morning and knowing its out of the way.

Brenda

Hello!

I get up early as well - 4 a.m. Brenda is so right in that your body kind of gets used to it and I typically wake up just before my alarm is set to go off. I also agree that it is so nice to know that it is done before the day gets started. Such a sense of accomplishment! I will say that it isn't always super easy to spring out of bed that early but I don't make it an option to stay in bed instead...Gotta work out! ;)

Good luck!

Natalie

P.S. You might try going to bed somewhat early if that is an option. I am typically in bed by 8:30 in the evenings. :p

My biggest problem with getting up early, especially in the winter, is waking up in the dark. I finally broke down a few years ago and got a "rise and shine" light from verilux that simulates a sunrise. I'm soooooo glad I did...it makes a huge difference. I don't feel less tired, I don't leap out of bed, but I do actually get out of bed when i should and feel less crummy about it. On days I've gotten a good nights sleep I wake up just with the light...other days the alarm wakes me, but it's so nice to wake up to a light room.

I got one for my sister and she loves hers too and says it makes a huge difference for her. I got her a Phillips brand, since they changed the rise and shine and the new style looks funny (to me) and I think it doesn't have a battery back up if I remember correctly...that's a deal breaker for me.

Good luck with your morning workouts!

I've heard of people sleeping in their workout clothes so that when they wake up they are already dressed for a workout. Maybe that would help motivate you.

I prefer to work out in the morning before work because I love starting my work day with a great attitude and knowing that whatever happens for the rest of the day at least I got my ME time with Cathe and the crew:D

Good luck - and keep practicing!

[QUOTEI prefer to work out in the morning before work because I love starting my work day with a great attitude and knowing that whatever happens for the rest of the day at least I got my ME time with Cathe and the crew:D

Good luck - and keep practicing![/QUOTE]

That is exactly what gets me up at 5am every day - knowing I'm starting my day doing something for me :)

I also get up early (6am) to workout. I can honestly say I hated mornings for the longest time. I would hit snooze on the alarm clock several times and finally get up with enough time to take a shower, get dressed, and drive to work. With minutes to spare.

I started getting up early to workout, and thought it was going to kill me. Well, let me just say......your body gets use to it. Now, if I don't workout in the morning I drag all day. I need my morning workouts now!!!!!:)

Good luck...just get up and workout for 1 week in the morning, and you will see a difference. :D

I am so NOT a morning person either. When I was a SAHM it did not seem like I felt human until 10 am. But now that I have gotten a job, I have just had to steel my mind, by an act of my will, to get up early and that is what I do.

I hate to make it sound so simple...but my mom always told me that people do exactly what they want to do (notwithstanding physical impediments) and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

So, if we want to get up, we will and not make excuses...and if we don't, we won't. :eek::)

However, I do understand the "not wanting to" part. I hope this does not sound harsh, because I don't mean to be. It is just that I have struggled with this too and this is the thought process I have had to go through to move my bloomin' ..... (you know if you've seen "My Fair Lady")

Best wishes!

I am an early riser by nature so I prefer to workout early in the morning e.g. 5am. I notice that if I do a few things in particular, I can spring from my bed with ease
- eat dinner early and make it a light meal e.g. finish eating by 6pm if possible and I don't eat later in the evg either
- I avoid alcohol (except on weekends :D)
- I get to bed on time so that I get 8 hrs of rest (or 7.5 once I drop off) so that means lights out at 9pm

this works for me. it's not always easy to follow but I've been working out in the a.m. since 2003. good luck!!!!

I struggle with getting out of bed to workout during the winter, when it's cold & dark out. Blah! :-( Now that the mornings are getting brighter, I expect to get my groove back. I got up this morning and worked out, folded some laundry, gave my dogs all their meds, made myself a nice, hot breakfast, and I felt GREAT!! I have a 45 minute commute to my job, but luckily, I don't have to be there until 10:45 AM, so that really helps me. I don't know if I could be as disciplined with an 8:00 AM start time. I agree with another poster... Go to bed early. After a good night's sleep, you'll be ready to get up and go. I don't like any artificial light though. I don't turn on the lights in my gym. Natural light for me only. Weird? Perhaps. Good luck!! Once you do it a few times, you'll be really pleased! :-D

I wake up at 4 am to get my workout in. If I do t get my workout done in the morning it will never happen. It is so hard to get up. I've been getting up early for awhile and I'm still not used to it, I'm not going to lie. But I feel SO much better after I do my workout. I've noticed that my mood is a whole lot better too (my husband and kids appreciate that!). :). I have more energy in the afternoons to get stuff done too.

One thing that helps me is to have everything ready the night before. I have my workout clothes ready to go. I know what I'm going to wear to work the next day. I have my food ready for the next day too. That way I can do my workout, take a shower, grab my stuff and go.

Good luck!

Jenniferlove said:
I've heard of people sleeping in their workout clothes so that when they wake up they are already dressed for a workout. Maybe that would help motivate you.

I prefer to work out in the morning before work because I love starting my work day with a great attitude and knowing that whatever happens for the rest of the day at least I got my ME time with Cathe and the crew:D

Yup that's me!!! It save me time I always make sure too that I know which workout I'm going to do the next day.

I am also a morning exerciser. If I don't do it first thing in the morning, even on weekends, it doesn't get done. Sometimes I sleep in my workout clothes, I go to bed early...

Once you are in the habit, your body goes on autopilot. By the time I realize I could go back to bed, I've already started the video, or pulled into the parking lot of the Y.

Driving to work in the morning, I feel like I've accomplished something before the day began, and it is very satisfying.

Bridget

Thanks so much for all the help ladies!! I think one of my main problems is I go to bed so late (sometimes 11 or 12) and expect to get out of bed at 6. This is because my boyfriend plays volleyball and doesn't get home until 10:30 or 11 - some days I wait for him to eat, other days I eat before he gets home. And either way, even if I go to bed before he gets home, he always wakes me up, and I end up falling asleep again at 12 or 12:30. :( So definitely something I'll need to work on. Thanks again!

Glad to see I am not alone in my morning workouts. I get up at 5am, have about 8 ounces of water and am working out by 5:20.

How quickly do you go from waking up to working out? And do you eat or drink beforehand?

Susan

Susan---I wake up at 5:45--- and am exercising at 6am. I grab a water on the way to my exercise room. I eat breakfast after I exercise and shower.

:D

Glad to see I am not alone in my morning workouts. I get up at 5am, have about 8 ounces of water and am working out by 5:20.

How quickly do you go from waking up to working out? And do you eat or drink beforehand?

Susan

I get up at 5 and am usually getting ready to work out by 5:30. Technically I should be STARTING my work out by then but I'm always late. :rolleyes: I adore my morning "quiet time" with my coffee and usually don't want it to end...especially that early in the morning, hence my late starts!:p

As for eating, I play it by ear. On weekdays most of the time I don't eat first but if I do it's a piece of fruit. On weekends it depends how quickly I get to my work out after waking and 9x out of 10 it's not fast enough so I need to eat before I start and on weekends it's usually something heavier then fruit b/c it's later in the day and my body is hungrier so usually a bagel thin with P/B. That's what I eat during the week at work around 9:30am anyway so it makes sense!:)

Last edited:
Nightowl

My workout time is usually between 10:30pm and midnight. I know it's a little crazy but the mornings are so hectic I can't imagine doing them then. I admire all of you who do though!

Hi there,

I have to w/o according to my daughter's schedule. Regardless, I am a lark, up by 5-6am every day (in bed early too!!). I have had the pleasure of getting my sweat-on in the morning. Just like Wendy though, I must relish my morning coffee and have breakfast, or else I have no energy. I also love my bagel w/peanut butter or almond butter. Once you get accustomed to w/o in the morning, it just becomes second nature. Be sure to give yourself plenty of sleep. If you usually go to bed by 11pm and get up at 5am, you might find yourself groggy and hitting the snooze button often. Try to change your schedule slowly to be in bed by 10pm (the latest) and get at least 7hrs sleep.

Take care,

Natasha

Jenniferlove, this is such a great idea, but I laughed out loud because MY workout clothes smell like grim death!:eek: I couldn't sleep in them! Ha!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.