More 1RM Test Questions...Am I Overthinking This?

sunsdaughter

Cathlete
good evening, cathletes!
i keep thinking of all these ?s as i progress thru my 1RM testing. y'all help me out here. :)

1) what do you do when, for a given exercise, your workout card says that you'll need an uneven number of poundage, like, 13 lbs? do you go with your 12 lb dumbbells, or do you use adjustable dumbbells, or round up to 15 lbs? i could totally be overthinking this, as i tend to be an overthinker in general. :)

2) how exactly are you using resistance tubing for pull-up substitutions?

3) just curious...what's the highest weight dumbbell you have?

i just have 2 more pages of 1RM testing to go, which i should easily finish by tomorrow. then, a couple of days away from weights, then at the start of the week, i'm STARTING STS!!!!!!! :)

Hi there! Here's my answers to your questions...

1. I am lucky...I have 1.25 lb plate weights. I can usually get my dumbbells pretty close to the weight I need. If I can't, then I will either go higher or lower depending on how I feel that day. I try to vary it as well. If I go lower on one exercise, I will try to go higher on the next one.

2. I have the turbo tower...no bands for me!

3. I have enough plates to make a pair of 51lb dumbbells. I believe the maximum dumbbell weight I have used though was around 32.5 or 35lbs. I can't remember for sure....I just know that it was in the 30's.

Good luck with the 1RM tests! If you start burning out on them, just remember that there is a chart you can use that shows you which exercises in STS depend on the 1RM the most.

Hi there!

I can try to help you out here...

Q #1 - I have 2lbs weighted gloves that took me up/down small lbs increments. For example, with my 12lbs dumbbell, I could go up 1/2lbs increments to make 12.5, 13, 13.5, and so on. This is the concept of micro-loading. Of course, you can round up/down to the nearest weight you have, but sometimes a 3lbs jump is hard, especially for smaller muscle groups like triceps.

Q #2 - I have a Turbo Tower. Sorry :(.

Q #3 - I have adjustable dumbbell's that use weight plates (they can also fit on a barbell). Because of this, I can go pretty high in dumbbell weight. I am going to be honest though, I can rarely lift more than 30lbs (each hand). My forearms just give out! I prefer to use my barbell if I'm going to lift heavy, that includes lower body and upper body exercises.

Good luck! And yes, try not to over-think it too much. Challenge yourself, have fun, and eat well. You will see results if you are consistent, even if you cannot acquire all the equipment your heart desires ;).

Natasha

Hi,

I'll chime in, too.

1) I have weighted gloves like Natasha. It's really helpful to have an option for going up in tiny increments.

2) I don't have a Turbo Tower! I have the heavy (red) tube. When I do the "pull-ups," I change my hand grip for each set of the three Cathe does.
I'll do an overhand grip, an underhand grip, and a grip where my palms face each other. With the tubing in the door frame, I can put my feet against the door/wall while sitting on the floor and keep my lower body perfectly still while concentrating on my back muscles completely.

3) I have 30 lb dumbbells, but it really took me a while to work up to them. I also have a weighted vest (20lbs) that helps me with squats. I do not have a barbell.

You will be tweaking the program as you go along, so don't get too caught up in trying to keep up with what your 1RM calculations tell you to use. It's a great starting point and you need to push yourself, but I think you'll find you may be increasing or decreasing your calculated weight a bit as you work through the 3 months. Be sure to update any changes on line so you'll have a more accurate weight assessment as you continue through the program.

Have FUN!

Before you but them online, you might want to check out your local Marshall's. I just picked up pair of weighted gloves that are 1lb each for $5!!!! I also got my 10lb weighted vest for $10 there! :D

1} similar to the weighted gloves I also have 3lb dumbbells with a strap that makes it easier to hold two weights together.

2} I actually have the tubing looped over my pullup bar, which I didn't have at the time I did STS. There are gadgets you can buy to secure the loop to the top of the door, or you can make something similar at home. Previous owners removed the door from the doorway I use which makes me concentrate more on keeping myself still and my back straight.

3} DB's up to 25lbs but Hubby and I each have a barbell set with extra db handles. I think I made it up to 35lbs for back during Meso 3.

I agree with Bonnie, the 1RM is a guideline not a hard and fast rule of what you have to use.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.