moms with infants

bmccartney

Cathlete
I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a check-in for moms with infants. I'm in need of some moral support...I thought it would be easier to get back in shape than it's been. Taylor is 7 weeks old and though she sleeps well at night, she doesn't take naps during the day unless: 1)she's outside or 2)I'm holding her. As a result, an hour Cathe video turns into five hours with all of the starting and stopping. She's a bit too young to enertain herself at this point and she HATES her swing. It's also getting quite hot here in Florida to be out during the day.
At my 6 week check-up I was about 6-8 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight (but I'm only 5'0 tall), but my stomach is soft and I have a diastasis which prevents me from doing hardcore ab work:-( I think the biggest challenge is my diet though. It's not terrible but I grab what I can throughout the day like nuts, fruit, cheese sticks...but no actual meals. I also have a huge weakness for ice cream:9
As busy as it's been, I LOVE being a new mom. Taylor's smiling and cooing and much more interactive each day. Anyone in a similar boat?

I also have a 7wk old infant,who sleeps half the day, and 4 hrs stretches @ night.I'm 4lbs from my goal weight, but my stomach is still flabby. I started exercising about 2wks ago,usually stopping, but at least I manage to finish.My biggest weakness is also my diet.

Suzette

Hello ladies,

I just was reminiscing while reading your posts - my youngest babies are 3 1/2 now, and boy those first few months are such a blur....of little sleep, erratic eating and alot of time with a baby in your arms! I know it seems like you'll never get back your workout time, but you will. The stomach is toughest to get back, I think. Imagine, it's been pretty traumatized!! The best thing I can suggest is to get your little one into a routine, because having a schedule is what saved my sanity during the early months. (And it is so worthwhile, isn't it?) My favorite memories are of those little toothless grins.

Sorry there's no advice in this for you, just wanted to let you know I've been there, too - as have many of us here.

Take care of yourselves and your little lovies,
Tricia

Hi,

I have a 9 week old girl named Zelda. The past 2 weeks i have been able to do a full work out without Zelda crying. She loves her swing now. I also think she likes to watch me jump around.. i talk to her too while i am working out.. she smiles away then falls asleep. I still have about 6 pounds to drop.. the belly is ok if i am standing, but if i bend over it is a bit soggie. Lot's of core work!

Zelda is just settling into a sleep pattern. She sleeps from 11pm to about 4 ish.. i nurse her from about 15 min then she sleeps till 7ish. She will fall asleep again around 10ish, so that is when i try to start my work out. She is awake for most of the day after that, i love it as she is fun to watch! I so love being a Mummy! If i knew it was this great i would have done it 10 years ago. I am 35 and my hubby is 40, so we want to have another soon.

A check in would be fun as i do not know anyone with a baby. We have just moved back home to NYC after many years in London, England and Toronto, Canada. Seems everyone i knew here in NY moved away! It is hard to meet other Mums. I went to a lunch for a mummy group and i felt very out of place. A bit on the snobby side for me. Sorry i do not have a Prada diaper bag...! Anyone in NYC on the UpperWS?

Brigitte

I feel for you. My Taylor is now almost 9 months old!! It gets
so much easier and fun!!!! Hang in there.

Jennifer Claire 12/24/2005
Taylor Elizabeth 08/22/2207

My girls are too old for me to join this check in, one will be 2 soon and the other almost 5 but I wanted to chime in. I checked in with the postpartum check in here and it was a great help. Those first 4 months are dreadful in my opinion. I used to put my oldest in the swing and let her cry a little to copmplete a workout. I did stop to nurse and change her though. I too am 5 feet tall (well under with no shoes). I held onto about 5 pounds with nursing . I was about 108 prepregnancy and by about 8 months postpartum with #1 I was down to 100-102. Even after #2, I did get the weight off, despite all my stopping and starting workouts. I also walked early on with both girls. My best advice though is to admit it is tough dealing with a newborn! Good luck to all you new mommies.

I have a 9m old. I'm sitting here crying because ya'll are six and seven weeks pp and only 6-7 pounds to go. I still have 10 to go. It has been a long hard road to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight. Maybe I shouldn't gain so much when pregnant. I'm 5'0 I'm a little under with no shoes also. I've always been short and stocky and always had to work really hard to keep my weight down.

My DD's have been very good about letting me workout most of the time. my little one sleeps at night and takes naps during day. I have no excuse except it is really hard for me to lose weight.

Farrah

I'm interested in a check-in. My baby boy is 8 weeks old today he was born on March 15th, and I know exactly how you feel. Sometimes I can get a workout in all at once, but usually not. I definitely don't get in as much workout time as I would like. Before Conner was born I was looking forward to being able to workout as much as I wanted because I was going to have 12 weeks off work, but I had no idea how hard it was going to be (he's my first baby). I'm still 12 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight, I've lost 20 so far, but none of my clothes fit. My pre-pregnancy weight wasn't what I wanted it to be either though so I have a lot of work to do. I'm having a tough time with my diet, I want to eat all the time.

It is worth it though Conner is smiling and cooing more all the time too. It's so much fun, if only I didn't have to go back to work.

I'm not going to have computer access for 2 or 3 weeks so I won't be able to participate in a check-in until then, but I would love to when I can. Good luck.

Amy

Amy - Taylor was born March 17th so they are very close! I thought that I'd have all the time I'd need to workout on my maternity leave too, but my girlie has other plans. Lately I've had to wait until my husband gets home from work so I can actually get a full workout in. When is everyone planning on going back to work? I'm returning June 2 - Taylor will be 11 weeks then. I'm a physical therapist and they were great about letting me go to part-time for a bit when I return. That way, I feel like I'll be getting the best of both worlds.
What workouts has everyone been doing? I've been all over the place but would like to start a more focused program. This past week:
Mon: MIC (minus the step portion)
Tue: muscle max
Wed: turbo jam (cardio party #1)
Thur: terminator (gauntlet)
Fri: body max2 (cardio timesaver plus ab section)
Sat: off

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!

I am going back to work on June 3rd.I really don't want to,but the bills are telling me otherwise.I am trying to follow Cathe's May rotation, and so far I've been good.Happy Mother's Day

Suzette

I would love to join in! My little one, Elizabeth, is only 6 days old so I can't work out yet but would love to have all of the support from the check-in. I have a long way to go to get to my pre-preg weight - at least 25 pounds :-(

Hi!

Nice day here in NYC, Just got back from reading my book in the park while Zelda took a nap in her buggy.

I was wondering what "type" of parenting everyone is doing. Are you going with what feels natural or are you taking advice from a book or others? I was reading Dr. Sears and following an attatchemnt like parenting routine. Then my doctor who is quite well known and wrote a book (here is the link) http://www.amazon.com/New-Basics-Z-...bs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210792516&sr=1-2
said that everthing i was doing would cause problems down the road. He is right. I was using a sling most of the time and when ever i put Zelda down she would cry and my husband could not hold her as she would cry. So now no sling and after a few fussy days she is so much more happy and is not sleeping in it all day and will sleep all night long now. She will cry when i put her in the sling now so no more sling, plus it was killing my back. She likes the Ergo still when we are running errands. Also she was sleeping in our bed in a snuggle nest.. he said do you want her there forever..um..NO? So we moved her to her room in her crib and she and we sleep much better now! She likes her crib better i think as she falls asleep right away. I love his book as it is all so down to earth.. i really recomend it.

Well, as for workouts i am doing Slow and Heavy right now and it is making me really hungry. But i feel really good about my body now so i will eat! Plus as i am nursing i need the calories for milk and muscle! Cardio is simple kickboxing and lot's of doggie, buggy walks in the park.

Also.. what baby product can you not live without? For me is is this:
http://www.giggle.com/p/19969/c/557/cl/580/Coco-Stylewood-Baby-Lounger.aspx . I can move it to where ever i am and Zelda is as happy as can be bouncing away. Also good for reading to her and when i want to shower.. i know she is safe and can see me. I bought almost all my baby stff here.. love this place.

Have a good day.

Hi everyone,
Well I figured out why Taylor has been so terrible today - I ate too many cookies. For some reason she wouldn't nurse and just screamed when I tried...which is exactly what happened the last time I ate cookies. I guess that's good incentive NOT to eat sweets.

Other than that, she's doing well. She sleeps 7-7.5 hours straight at night, feeds, then sleeps about 3-4 more hours. After that, she's up all dayx( I've just been waiting for my husband to get home from work to exercise lately.

Parenting style...I'm not sure. A lot of it's trial and error since she's our first. My co-worker gave me the "Baby Wise" book which had some interesting advice about getting the baby to sleep through the night. If anything, it just stressed me out too much trying to follow those rules.

Taylor's favorite product is her Fisher Price activity mat that has the lights and music. She will stay on it for 30 min at a time smiling and kicking and grasping her toys. It allows me to get some cleaning and cooking done!

I'm contemplating getting the P90 workouts to really get back into shape, although I have a couple of reservations. One, I have a mild diastasis and I don't know how much of the ab stuff I'd have to modify. Two, Cathe's STS looks good and I likely wouldn't get both. Anyone have experience with the P90 workouts? I just want a structured program that also has the nutritional aspect.

Bethany

Zelda seems to have a similar sleeping pattern as your baby! Guess we are pretty lucky, i hear some babies are up all night.

I just got Zelda a play mat.. she loves it. It has jungle animals on it. I have a thing for animals and poor Zelda has no choice right now. All her toys will be old fashioned wood or animals!

I have the P90 workouts. You get results from it but it is a bit boring. Use your own music. I did like that you can go as heavy as you want. The ab work is pretty basic. P90X is much more extreme in the ab work.. so stay away from that for now. I think the STS wil be more like P90X than P90.. so maybe go for the STS if you want more variation. P90 you do the same thing over and over.

Have a good long weekend.

Brigitte

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.