Modify pyramids?

marys742

Hello!

I'm Mary, and I've lurked on this forum for a while and am now joining in. :)

I'm planning to start a rotation with Cathe's pyramids next week. This will be my first time with her strength videos, except for doing the last portion of Body Max a few times. I consider myself an intermediate exerciser. Should I start out the pyramids by modifying them? If so, how? Or should I jump right in?

Also, how do I gauge my weights the first time? For example, normally for biceps I use 10 lb. dumbbells, possibly trying the first set with 15 lb. What would you recommend I use for this tape?

Thanks,
Mary

Hi Mary, welcome to the forum. If you're an intermediate exerciser, I think you can jump right in. That's what I did when I first used the Pyramids, and I was also an intermediate myself. What I did was determine my moderate weight and used that for my 10-rep set. So if my moderate weight was 10 lbs. for biceps, I used 8's for the 12-rep sets, 10's for the 10-rep sets, and 12's as my heaviest weight. Like every Cathe weight workout, the first time's always an experiment where you gauge which weights will work best for you. Those Pyramids, at least to me, work on both strength and endurance, so it's good to go a notch or two lower because of the high reps. Hope this helps. You'll love those Pyramids.:)

Pinky

I recommend both going lighter in the weights and putting more of a pause between sets. Don't rush yourself (but don't "take a vacation") between sets, and take the time you need to set up (in lower body pyramid, Cathe and crew are setting speed records for changing weights! LOL!)As you get used to the workout, increase the weight or reduce the breaks (one or the other first).

Hi Mary and welcome:) I think Kathryn had an excellent idea because I remember doing the PUB for the first time and rush the first time and that whole week I couldn't move}(. So don't rush and take it slow:)

I love the PYRAMIDS!!! Hope you enjoy them as much as I did. I had to lift less with them just because there were so many sets and little rest. You must tell me how you like the floor work in this series since I usually hate floor work but totally adored this one!

Thanks for the advice!

I don't have a DVD player so I got the pyramids on VHS. I also don't have a stability ball, or even a step. :eek: I figure that when I get the props, the workouts will seem like new ones to me!

I'm thinking of a vague rotation like:

pyramids upper body
cardio and abs/pilates
full body with floorwork tape
cardio and abs/pilates
pyramids lower body
cardio and abs/pilates
full body with floorwork tape
cardio and abs/pilates
repeat

I want to do a lot of floorwork because I have iffy knees and am 80 lbs overweight.

Mary

Looks great. The props are fun but I like the down and dirty work better. I am horrible on the ball! Hence, I skip it alot! You can pyramid up/down with VHS. Just fast foreward! Good luck and keepp us posted! There are a number of check ins you might want to consider joining too. We cheer each other on and it's very motivating!
Bobbi "Chick's rule!" http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif

Mary
If you pyramid just up then you are just skipping the las 2 sets so right just Fast forward to the next section
I Love the PUB and lower too I ahve never just done the up cuz i like the tape just the way it is works good for me Good luck to you
Lisa

Mary, when I was just lifting more, (before I switched to Cathe tapes because of boredom) I did pyramids with only 2 wts...for example:

Squats
45 lbs 15 reps
45 lbs 12 reps
50 lbs 9 reps
50 lbs 5 reps
45 lbs 10 reps

So it was 5 sets but you only increased the weight one time, I did those in succession resting 30-45 secs in between reps. Don't know if this is an option but it worked very well for me. Eventually I might go back to this...:)...Carole

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.