MMA Fusion - And I laughed and laughed :)

ElleJay

Cathlete
It's Monday and I like to work out the frustrations of the workday with a little more agressive workout than usual - most Monday's it's kickbox. Since MMA Fusion was still sitting there saying 'try me!' I decided to give that a whirl. I spent a lot of time going 'you want me to do WHAT?!?!' and laughing because there is no way that I can do all of those squat thrusts into pushups or rolling around on my back into a defensive position, defending with a kick and then jumping up into a sumo :) TOO FUNNY...

Maybe I can build up to it :)... At least I can LAUGH :p:p:p

Yeah..I was yelling at the T.V.!!! No way could I do some of that stuff. This 55 yr. old body is in pretty good shape but no way could I roll up and get my butt off the mat:D I will say my ab muscle are screaming!!! And I did the workout Christmas Day and they still are sore! Great workout!!

Hi ElleJay! Until now I have been very quiet about saying much about MMA Fusion because I wanted everyone to experience it and form their own opinion without my influence.

It is a VERY different workout that focuses on using the core through balance and strength to spike the heart rate. Initially, during the learning curve (unless you are already familiar with MMA exercises), you will not get the heart rate up very high in the attempt to figure out what I am doing. Plus you will also need to develop/master the exercises and technique to get the right muscles to fire to keep you in your training zone. But don't give up. As you try, you will engage the core more and more, and as you hold that core contraction while moving/rolling/pressing through to your next move, you cardio conditioning will improve. I'm sure this DVD will be a love hate relationship for many who are used to my more traditional cardio offerings but it is a great workout within its own right and well worth the physical benefits it provides once acclimated to it.

MMA from the fighters standpoint focuses strongly on ground fighting. You need to be able to push an opponent off of you while on your back, jump to your feet to avoid or escape being pinned, tackled, or taken out, and be able to spin in multi directions on your back while defending yourself. You do spend time standing too of course, but the big difference with MMA sport fighting vs Kickboxing and Boxing is that you also fight much of the time on your back on the floor.

For our purposes, in a home exercise environment, it is very hard to reach the typical level of cardio output with MMA Fusion as with traditional standing high and low impact activity. This is largely due to the fact that we are not actually fighting and therefore don't have the fight/flight adrenaline pumping or the body weight of our opponent on top of us to create the resistance needed to spike the heart rate. But because MMA is becoming more popular and we are being more exposed to this type of training I wanted to create a workout that included the elements that you would see in MMA sport fighting and try to give it a cardiovascular advantage for our Shock Cardio series. Hence the workout before you.

I do believe as everyone begins to acclimate to this workout and gets better with the core training from floor to standing and vice versa you will not only feel better conditioned by this workout, but also be more open to this type of training and could quite possibly find yourself asking for more :eek:

So keep laughing ElleJay and don't give up because laughing is also an excellent core exercise and therefore a perfect modification for this workout :D

It's Monday and I like to work out the frustrations of the workday with a little more agressive workout than usual - most Monday's it's kickbox. Since MMA Fusion was still sitting there saying 'try me!' I decided to give that a whirl. I spent a lot of time going 'you want me to do WHAT?!?!' and laughing because there is no way that I can do all of those squat thrusts into pushups or rolling around on my back into a defensive position, defending with a kick and then jumping up into a sumo :) TOO FUNNY...

Yet another awesome response from you, Cathe, that proves why we keep coming back to you for more. Thanks so much for putting this all out there!!!!!

Hi ElleJay! Until now I have been very quiet about saying much about MMA Fusion because I wanted everyone to experience it and form their own opinion without my influence.

It is a VERY different workout that focuses on using the core through balance and strength to spike the heart rate. Initially, during the learning curve (unless you are already familiar with MMA exercises), you will not get the heart rate up very high in the attempt to figure out what I am doing. Plus you will also need to develop/master the exercises and technique to get the right muscles to fire to keep you in your training zone. But don't give up. As you try, you will engage the core more and more, and as you hold that core contraction while moving/rolling/pressing through to your next move, you cardio conditioning will improve. I'm sure this DVD will be a love hate relationship for many who are used to my more traditional cardio offerings but it is a great workout within its own right and well worth the physical benefits it provides once acclimated to it.

MMA from the fighters standpoint focuses strongly on ground fighting. You need to be able to push an opponent off of you while on your back, jump to your feet to avoid or escape being pinned, tackled, or taken out, and be able to spin in multi directions on your back while defending yourself. You do spend time standing too of course, but the big difference with MMA sport fighting vs Kickboxing and Boxing is that you also fight much of the time on your back on the floor.

For our purposes, in a home exercise environment, it is very hard to reach the typical level of cardio output with MMA Fusion as with traditional standing high and low impact activity. This is largely due to the fact that we are not actually fighting and therefore don't have the fight/flight adrenaline pumping or the body weight of our opponent on top of us to create the resistance needed to spike the heart rate. But because MMA is becoming more popular and we are being more exposed to this type of training I wanted to create a workout that included the elements that you would see in MMA sport fighting and try to give it a cardiovascular advantage for our Shock Cardio series. Hence the workout before you.

I do believe as everyone begins to acclimate to this workout and gets better with the core training from floor to standing and vice versa you will not only feel better conditioned by this workout, but also be more open to this type of training and could quite possibly find yourself asking for more :eek:

So keep laughing ElleJay and don't give up because laughing is also an excellent core exercise and therefore a perfect modification for this workout :D

I was going to try 30/30 in the morn b/c I loved 40/20, but I may have to pull this one out next. I guess it depends what time I roll out of bed :eek::p

Nan

I have not tried the other MMA ones yet, but decided to do this one because to me it was so different from anything I had done before. Boy did it expose some weaknesses, and I am a very strong woman. So I will be popping this one in and working it till I am able to get it.

Two thumbs up for MMA Fusion

I tried MMA Fusion this morning and LOVED it! I even loved the roll ups! (thought the turtle move was fun too ;)) I was breaking out into a good sweat after the roll up segment and I really focused on using my core to get me up. Awesome workout!!

Denise

That was fun!!!! I had a bit of troubles with the middle section. The one that was floor-based. I finally was getting it when we had about 2 more run throughs of it. I liked the abs section at the end. All different moves, which is good because abs tend to bore me. Those Iron Cross things got me. There is no way my feet touch my hands when I am lying like that. Cathe must be made of Gumby goo. :p

I wanna do this one again soon.

Nan

I wasn't sure what to expect. I pre-viewed the disc this morning and I'm in! I like that its not just another combo disc with boxing and kb thrown in. I think that with this disc you almost don't need anymore core work. If you were to combine this with STS strength you could skip those ab discs and just use this one and core circuit. I think (?)

All I have to say really, is wow!:D Good job Ms. Cathe!

I did this one yesterday and all I can is WOW!!!!!! It sure worked me in a different way and I loved it. I want to keep working at this and master it!

GREAT JOB Cathe! I hope I can do it half as good as you and the crew someday!

Joanne

Because of this post...I had to do this workout today...Wow! It was pretty hard, but I modified used my step for some of the roll ups...I was able to do some without the step...but I do use my high step for some of the on the floor stuff anyway. I'm still about 50 pounds overweight and need to work my way to not using a step at all.

I have to say I LOVED MMA Fusion. I loved all the rolling back and springing forward; the workout had a great fun factor for me. I couldn't do all the moves perfectly the first time but I can see that once you have them mastered, it'll be even more fun.

I've watched MMA: Fusion twice now and am excited to give it a whirl. I've been working on my 1RM's for starting STS which I am doing for the first time January 2010. I am feeling a bit sore, and am wondering will I be able to move after doing MMA Fusion and the first 4 pages of 1RM exercises. Eh, no pain no gain and I don't go back to work until January 4. Wish me luck!! lol

These posts made me feel so much better! I thought this was one tough workout! I was laughing during the triangle choke holds because I could NOT keep up with Cathe- I yelled at her to wait but she just kept going. :) This was a terrific workout, even though I felt like a total nerd while I was doing it- the moves are so different and unusual from what I usually do. I need more workouts like this in my life.

Aw, thanks for replying Cathe! I have been enjoying ALL your workouts since I discovered them and you have me in the best shape that I've ever been and I'm 46 :). I think I laugh because I'm such a klutz with those types of moves and you all make them look so easy :p. I know if I keep up with it, I'll look a little bit like you and your crew, heck, I never thought I'd get the hang of fast feet shuffles :D

MMA.....oh boy

I did the MMA Fusion last night and I was totally spent when it was done. Cathe's post about having to pay attention to the tv a lot to get the moves is dead on, but it still works the crap out of you....there are just so many new moves in there to get all at once. The idea of going from floor, to kneeling position then kicking out and then up to guard....whew, just trying to run that through my head is tough. I must say though, I love the workout. The variety and challenge is exactly what I need!!!! I hope you all enjoy the workout when you give it a try and we will all progress together...

Happy New Year everyone!

Jan (squirt68)

I just did/attempted this today. First, anyone who thinks this isn't challenging is just nuts. It's very challenging. If you have any knee issues, wear Ace wraps. I couldn't do the triangle roll thingies because my knees were in great danger of popping. I found this workout aittle frustrating for that reason - rather hard on the knees. Also, like so many of the cardio workouts, I just don't have the space required. Add to that hardwood floors, so mats slide and the jerks who built my "luxury" building thought leveling the floors was too extravagant (so try doing this workout uphill). Very sad, because this seems like it could be really fun. That and apparently I just suck that much. Sigh.

ME TOO!

I previewed this DVD tonight after reading your post. I can see what you mean. It looks like a fun workout because it looks so different from other; I appreciate the diversity she offers. But I can see it's going to be modification city!

This was a comedy routine on my part. It was really funny! I wish I had a video of it. So many things... first of all I had to use a lot of momentum to roll on my back and get up on one foot. Also balancing on the med ball and jumping up next to it. rolling back with my legs crossed and then jumping into a push up, I couldn't get my legs uncrossed fast enough. Oh my gosh, it will take a while before I get all thses moves down.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.