Middle age...

gettingfitmom

Cathlete
does anyone else not liking some of this? The change in...hair, periods, weight gain, love handles, etc. I just one week out of the month where I feel "normal". ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kay

Kay, I've broadcast it all over the world...a zealous life, full of hard core exercise and deprivation...a bikini at 40, 11 extra lbs at 47....from 4 periods a YEAR to one every 27 days....(TMI, but I"m on a roll), moods that can plummet to sadness - hell, I cry at stop signs anymore....

And with that? I am OVER hard core exercise!!! Just this year with my shoulders giving out from years of hard core exercise (muscles like a gymnast though by MRI), and my own, sick of killing myself, sick of never having a cookie at work, sick of never enjoying a glass of wine....so THAT with nature trying to hoard estrogen and thereby store some fat, and....from years of 5'5 126-129 muscled pounds to 135-141.....and I"m almost at the point that its ok....

Welcome aboard - we have 1-10 years of this ahead, so might as well start to find a way to ride it out!

Ok, I am going through peri menopause and I am only 42, 3 months shy of 43. I have always had thin fine hair, now its thinner and finer and less of it. I am losing hair in places I shouldn't and growing hair in places I shouldn't. New grey hairs daily. Hot flashes every other day. Oilier skin in the t-zone and dryer on the cheeks. Oh and the best part is I have age spots on my hands, reminds me very much of a giraffe. I had a partial hysterectomy at 38 so I still get hormonal fluctuations during my supposed to be time of the month. Tender breasts, scratch that, downright painful, have to wear a jogbra even to bed. Keys are put in the freezer, and the bleach was put where the milk goes. TMI, I know, but had to include my two cents on this topic.
Booboo39

I'm right there with you. I turned 44 earlier this year. My periods are shorter luckily but now I have awful cramps the whole time. Also, I cry at crazy times. Just tonight before dinner, I cried like a baby on DH's shoulder. I had issues with carpool, work, kids' schedules, the list went on, and I just broke down. My weight is creeping up too. Oh well, at least we're working out and that definitely helps! But yes, I think we have a long road ahead...
Paula

I hear you all!!!!! My straight hair got straighter,periods not lasting as long but extremely heavy, light acne on forehead, 10 lbs. I can't loose, mood swings, aches, pains, the list is endless! But I do have my health, good kids, happy husband(and Cathe).

oh yeah.... at 49 I get the most hot flashes right before my period. Never know if the period will be a gully wash or just a few days, Weight is not coming off, Some days I just hate people, I'm losing grip strength in my hands, my hip hurts and my knee knows when it's gonna rain.

Gettin old sucks big time.

But I also realize I only have a limited amout of time left, and less time where I will be able to do what I want to do. So I try to let things roll off my back. I got my motorcycle license and a maxi scooter....I'm working on my bucket list.

Wow, I am 47 and don't have any of this....and don't hate me, but my hair is still dark and I don't have to color it!

Yah, Kay! I'm noticing little things too. I just turned 45 in May — well I guess it's not just anymore — talk about denial! I have light periods that go on for 7 days but now they don't seem to have an ending point anymore. I get PMS now like an all day/nighter headache a day before my period also crazy dizzyness a day or two before my period that can last during my period. The dizzyness used to be ALOT worse but now that I do cardio it has drastically reduced and is barely a problem now. (I heard that cardio helps to balance the hormones — read in a peri-menopause book— and it's certainly working for me!) These symptoms I never had before. Also I seem to be more sensitive to things like children or animals being hurt or tragedies. I just crumble inside, it's like my emotions are more raw and I don't have a protective coat on. Also, I now have mild hypothyroidism that flunctuates up and down with my main symptom being achy, crampy muscles in my legs and sometimes shoulder and biceps. Even though I'm very slender I now notice that I have to be VERY diligent about my diet. Thank goodness though I have no greying, barely a line on my face and look very young for my age. I figure it is what it is. Getting older is not for the faint of heart! One seems to have to work twice as hard for half the reward as my mother says! But it's still all worth it!! The alternative is not as fun!! And when I look at my mother who turned 70 in June and still works out doing intense cardio and weight training for like 1.5 to 2 hours a day and is a lively, happy, vibrant, hip looking Grandma who runs her own business — she is my great example of what it is to grow older and better!! AND I also have all you amazing women to look towards!!

Wow, I am 47 and don't have any of this....and don't hate me, but my hair is still dark and I don't have to color it!

I'm 47 too and haven't had any of this. My periods are infrequent and when they do come, light. I've had no hot flashes or serious mood swings. My skin is actually clearer then it has been in years. I do color my hair but I'm blonde and I've been lightening/coloring it for years. The only problem is facial hair but I've had that since I was 35.

It varies so much from person to person when the menopausal issues hit and how hard they hit us.

I am 52 and really don't have anything unmanageable going on. My periods are infrequent now. I have one about every 6 months. My hair is about the same as far as thickness, but of course I have more and more gray.

No weight issues so far. I seem to be the same size I've been for the last 35 years. I can still do the workouts I want to do with the intensity I've always done them.

Maybe my time is coming. Who knows what's around the corner. I'll be back to eat my words possibly.

Honey children! I am in the same boat. And we won't mention the sleepless nights. And the horrible nightmares. This is the stage of life when we start thinking of regrets and getting depressed.

I have horrible cramps even with my MEA done! I have a cyst and fibroids which doesn't make it any easier. And my hair is dryer and more grey. Of course I call my grey natural highlights.

Yep I am there with y'all!

I'm 42 and nothing's started yet but it's a relief to read to see that some of you are having an easier time at least. Lessens the dread factor somewhat.

41 here...and let me just bring up the exhaustion!!! The week prior to TTOM is unbelievable, and still takes me by surprise...I ponder why I'm so flipping tired and it doesn't occur to me why, until at 23 days I get some clarification...or maybe 21 days, or even sometimes 29 days. No wonder I never know what's going on! I always think I must be "coming down with something", and then I remember that I'm what I'm "coming down with" is MIDDLE AGE!!! Aack!

Really though, other than the fatigue , I'm enjoying this part of my life more than any other time so far, for a number of reasons. What a relief...Now that my swimsuit modeling days are over :D ;), I can relax and love my body for what it does for me rather than worrying about how it looks to others. It's so nice to be free of giving a $h*t what others think of me, but more importantly - it feels great to be strong and fit, and I look forward to moving beyond this peri-menopausal middle ground and staying strong and mobile.

Let's see it's hard to know where to start. I am 47 and totally hate being this age. I cannot stand to look in the mirror and see what has happened to my face in the last few years - no matter how many "miracle creams" I smear on it. I can't stand how easily I gain weight and how hard it is to lose - even with regular workouts and trying to eat right. And sleep?????? What is that????? I can't remember the last time I had a good night's sleep.

But more difficult than these things is that this is the age when I am losing those I love. In the past few years I have lost my mother and father and this year I lost my beloved 18 year old cat.

I hear all the talk about "age brings wisdom" but for me it seems the wisdom is learning that life is very difficult and that you have to somehow learn to live with the sadness of things changing and living without those you loved and who brought you joy. It makes even good times bittersweet because I know they won't last.

So...that's enough of a downer for now, so I will hush up!

I could skip it, for sure!

What I hate most is feeling younger inside, then looking in the mirror and seeing that I'm not! It seems like a new wrinkle or crease can pop up overnight!

Symptomatically, having rare and light periods is just fine with me (better than a few years ago, when the "irregular" meant closer together!).

I do feel more tired (I read somewhere--perhaps on the forums?--that women going through menopause need more sleep but usually get less). I'm crankier (or maybe not, LOL). I need more exercise to keep the weight off, but I don't have the energy to do it. What a PITA!

Last edited:
Oh crap! ME TOO! I am only 42, but have noticed the love handle thing for sure, I recently loosened up my diet and exercise for 4 months and promptly gained bodyfat that I have been trying so hard to get rid of it now.

I love the poster that said, she was sick of never having a cookie, or a glass of wine, that is exactly why I did what I did, and the thanks I get? More bodyfat, but boy was I happy for those 4 months. I am frustrated and sick about this...scared too..does your weight just keep creeping upwards or what is going on? I even upped my cardio to twice a day, stopped drinking my beloved wine except on Saturdays and eat well.I am pissed off.

My periods are always hell, but now I have PMS for two whole freakin weeks before my period starts, the bloating all over my body, everything...sorry for the rant, on the good side, I have no wrinkles at all...and I have always had thin hair and grey hair which I will always color...I am just unhappy with my waist size and thigh size right now and wish all my hard work would start to pay off..whats Cathe's secret anyway? Good genes, incredible discipline?

But more difficult than these things is that this is the age when I am losing those I love. In the past few years I have lost my mother and father and this year I lost my beloved 18 year old cat.

(((Carolyn)))

I understand. I've lost both my Mom and Dad in the last 5 years. Not only that I've lost both my in-laws and our beloved dog in the same time frame. It's hard isn't it?

At 47, all that hasn't hit yet but, like others here, I feel it coming. I've held up very well, thus far (thanks Mom and Dad) but the change in my vision is slowly driving me insane. Reading glasses. I buy those things by the gross from the dollar store yet, for some strange reason, I never have a pair when I need one.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.