Mid Year Performance Review Shocker

fawn001

We have just taken a company wide employee survey regarding our happiness with our company. The results of the survey were that people felt they were in dead end jobs, were not happy with compensation and did not feel respected.

Afterwards, I had my mid year review. During the review, my boss proceeded to tell me that I would not be promoted because I needed to put more attention towards details (past reviews said I was detail oriented!) didnt see the big picture, should think outside the box, and needed to focus on problems our customers might have. I proceeded to tell him all the reasons I thought I should be promoted. It was about as honest a conversation as a manager and suborinate could have. I was happy about that. I then told him it seemed like the only place I had to go from there was down. I was very upset but kept my cool and didnt cop an attitude.

I was sitting at my desk and it was about 6:15 (yes, I was working over). He came up to me and handed me a note. I thought it was my walking papers. The note said I was getting a raise!!! I was totally in shock. Based upon my mid-year review, I didnt deserve a raise. Why would he do this?? Could it have been the employee survey?

There are many paths a manager can take with an employee. It may be that he felt that there were areas you honestly need to work on to be able to take that next step of being promoted. That doesn't mean that you don't deserve a raise for the work that you are currently doing; it just means that you have some work to do to go farther in the company. He laid out a road map for you so you know exactly what you have to do to get there. Sounds like a great boss, to me.

This really hit home with me because my company is also in the midst of doing performance reviews. I think it's good that your conversation with your boss was straightforward. Too often it is a dog and pony show because the boss doesn't want to be honest or may not know how to give a critique that is useful without causing a big confrontation. It could be that the surveys made the PTB take a look at how they were evaluating people and that they needed to actually mentor or help the employees do their jobs the way they wanted them to be done and set some clearer expectations. It can definitely be a shock when you've been hearing what your strong points are over the year and then being told the opposite. You got a raise because they DO appreciate your effort and now you have a better understanding of what you need to do to get promoted.

It sounds to me as though this year you were seriously being considered for promotion due to your fine work ...

There is a big difference between being evaluated against your peers (are you doing better/worse than those holding your current/similar position) and those who are at the next level up (how do you rate when compared with those in the next rung on the ladder). So, for instance, you could easily be far more detail oriented and responsive to customer needs than your peers, and yet not quite have achieved the level of detail orientation/responsiveness that's needed for the rung up. I'd bet you are pretty close to being promotable or you wouldn't have gotten a nice raise in this economy, and also, I think you're close because otherwise the review would have been about what you need to do to meet expectations in your current role as opposed to moving up a level. Last year, promotion may not have been a real consideration (and so you heard about the traits that make you a standout now), but this year, you are hearing about how you need to improve (and so you heard about how you need to refine those traits to make the jump).

The disconnect may have been in how the review was communicated to you: not all managers know how to tell their subordinates when they are being rated against their current peer group versus those at the next level. It can be a real shocker and painful when that happens. The survey's results combined with your midyear review sound like management has a ways to go too - and chances are, that will show up in management's own midyear performance evaluations, which you likely won't hear about.

Congratulations on your raise, and having the grace to build a meaningful dialog with your manager! If you can, have another one soon where you discuss how you can exhibit the traits that they are looking for, so that your next review might include a promotion as well as a check :D

Last edited:
I supervise a lot of people in my job and sometimes you are very limited in what you can do for an employee even if they deserve it. Perhaps after your discussion, your boss realized you deserved recognition even if it couldn't be a promotion. Or maybe he was worried you were going to quit and wanted to give you a reason to stay.

It could be the survey results are on his mind and prompting him to take action - we also have an annual survey and it absolutely plays a part in how we respond to employees.

Next time you get a chance to talk with him openly, I would ask for clarifition on the promotion process and what he's looking for (specific behaviors and results - 'detail oriented' is not going to really help you) and what's a realistic timeframe if you are able to meet his expectations for promotion.

Thank you everyone for your perspectives on a perplexing situation! There was some very good insight and I appreciate your responses.

After the review, I really was considering quitting. I thought perhaps they really didnt want me there since I was doing such a poor job. I was a little worried about the job market right now and knew it wasnt a good time to be looking in my industry (real estate). But my husband has a good job so it wouldnt be a hardship if I quit. But I have considered quitting there so many times that this time was just "par for the course". I work with a bunch of high achievers who are very demanding.

But you know what? I realize now that they really do want me there or I wouldnt have gotten the raise! So I am going to lick my wounds and go to work with a new perspective. I know what I have to do now to get promoted!

There should be no surprises at a mid year review, or any review because an effective manager would communicate issues with you throughout the year. if I have any issues with my staff I work with them to address them immediately so that when performance review time rolls around there are no surprises. Kudos to you for speaking up and actually making yourself heard!

Hi,
I am also very interested in this subject, but the reference is very limited. You can share documents as well as experience? Thanks!

I realize now that they really do want me there or I wouldnt have gotten the raise! So I am going to lick my wounds and go to work with a new perspective. I know what I have to do now to get promoted!

You did an admirable job stating your case in that meeting with your manager and that level of aplomb demonstrated that you deserved a raise. Sometimes people are hardest on their favorite because they want you to rise to an even higher level. Also, it might have been a test to see how you perform under pressure. People pull stunts like that. Also, if he had promoted you then it might have become a situation where no one else at your level was as good as you and this was the only way they could keep you in your current position. It might have been a tactic.

Alisha

Congrats on your raise!! Although, my reviews changed tone/attitude when new management came in and I eventually got laid off. For me, my seperation from employment was good. Prior, my reviews were steller then they made me feel I couldn't or didn't deserve to be there.
Honestly, brush up your resume and professional contacts even check into the job market in your area.

I needed to put more attention towards details (past reviews said I was detail oriented!) didnt see the big picture, should think outside the box, and needed to focus on problems our customers might have.

Hi Fawn -

I think you should ask for specifics, as Cindi1 suggested. Sometimes "needs more attention to detail" means your boss thinks there were errors or minor misses in your work (this might be a misunderstanding but either way you should check it), and "didn't see the big picture" means possible errors in judgement or missing some potential red flags when making decisions. Thinking outside the box and focusing on customers' problems is really talking about creating additional value for the company - your boss is asking you to play a bigger game and help differentiate your company from the competition. I am a manager and the big things that make me consider someone for a promotion are excellent judgement, complete accuracy in everything they do, and consistently making (and then implementing) suggestions for how to do things better.

It is great that your boss gave you this feedback, but it sounds as if he spoke in generalities, which isn't very helpful. The fact that he was open to giving you the feedback that he did is a very positive sign. It means he believes you are worth the investment and have the potential to grow into the next position. The raise is in recognition of your excellent work in your current position; the feedback sounds to me more like the things he needs you to work on to be able to move up.

Stebby

Do you all realize Fawn wrote this a year ago? I would be interested in an update from her if she still participates on this board.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.