Metabic workouts

Cupcake

Cathlete
Isn't this what The Firm was basically doing? Straight from the 90s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this is just my opinion after reading articals and journals on exercise science

the firm is consider aerobic weight training which as stated means heart rate gets in to aerobic fitness zone using weights. Its gets and keeps the heart rate up enough to burn fat and the weight keep from metabolism your muscle as you loose the fat.

the current trend of metabolic weight lifting take you into the anaerobic fitness zone. A true metabolic weigh training you will get your heart rate racing. I know in Cathe earlier circuits you would hit metabolic but then she would put in longer break to bring it back down to an aerobic steady state level. THe metabolic is a bit of breather but don't let the heart rate drop much and hitting hard again.

They both have the same idea to keep maintain your muscle while burning fat but the metabolic training takes it to athletic level.

The Firm workout are relevant because aerobic weigh training does work but current research says you will get faster results with metabolic level workouts.

I've been working out for almost 30 yearso_O i'm getting old :)

All exercise will work anything to get your moving and elevate your heart rate so pick what you enjoy !

I still like Cathe early bootcamp workout but its circuit aerobic training and not as hard as more current stuff but it still would get me in shape if it was the only workout I did

So enjoy the Firm if you like that style of workouts

I like them and that's probably why the Cathe workouts that I seem to really like are the Boot camp style and Circuits. I keep telling myself do some step or boxing but I end up with ICE Bootcamp, Legs and Glutes,High Step Circuit and I'm kind of eyeing STS Total Body cause that looks really good even though I read it's a pure weight workout.

I have done old style circuit, not Firm.

I agree with @Cafelattee --- You have been spot on explaining the difference.
Old style circuit focused on light weight, endless repetition. They did work in terms of burning calories/Loosing weight!
That type of circuit purpose was to work in aerobic zone of 60-70% max as an overall figure confirmed by HR monitor:):)
The type of muscle mainly worked and recruited is slow twitch --- Mainly recruited during long distance running/Marathon.

New style circuit also known as Metabolic is different, the anaerobic zone start from 75-90% max. Professional
athletes push themselves harder:). Fast twitch muscle fiber are recruited, Example sprinting. These are the type of fibers mainly
recruited during muscle building. That said we need to recruit both type, depending on the goal we want to achieve.
should it be for Earn-living purpose, health or purely for aesthetic.

Anaerobic short burst training protocol is the most friendly to muscle building/Anabolism.It does do the job of burning
fat, improving metabolism --- thus Metabolic name, improving cardiovascular ability etc....

That said, the Overall main focus has changed since the old style circuit came out. People are more aware IMO of the fact that it
is much more HARDER to maintain and keep off all those pound/kilos lost during tough strict diet! That is when embracing
anaerobic short burst and anabolism/muscle building makes the difference!o_Oo_O
A better metabolism help keeping those layers off in long term!! Patience is the key!!!! There is no shortcut!

Last edited:
75-90%... That sounds horrible [emoji79]
I just wanna lose my belly not jump hurdles...

Lol:):p you probably do not want to hear it! It take a gruelling cardio to get a look closer to athletic.
Possibly an athletic amazing abs with a spot on Nutrition protocol. Anaerobic burst is superior fighting
visceral fat, the type of fat notoriously known for lodging women's mid-section during menopause.

I just wanna lose my belly not jump hurdles...

Good morning Cupcake,

I'm currently on the 3rd week of RWH & STS rotation that you can find in RWH user's guide and I can guarantee that this rotation and any RWH rotation, as a matter of fact, will help you lose your belly and lean you out beautifully. Warning: this is a high impact rotation but maybe that's one of the reasons the core gets worked, melts away the plumpness that you want to eliminate, tightens up the core & stabilizes the back to create a natural corset effect.

There is a RWH & LIS rotation that you may want to try instead. Good luck and don't forget to eat nutritionally & get plenty of shuteye - but you already know that!

Lol:):p you probably do not want to hear it! It take a gruelling cardio to get a look closer to athletic.
Possibly an athletic amazing abs with a spot on Nutrition protocol. Anaerobic burst is superior fighting
visceral fat, the type of fat notoriously known for lodging women's mid-section during menopause.

Following up my quote above, here is the science bit to think about. The "old 70% fat-burning zone", moderate intensity
has proven to be not as effective as we all thought. So really there is no need to hold onto it. ATB

http://cathe.com/truth-weight-loss-fat-burning-exercise

It's gonna take a long time to work up to RWH... First I have to work up to regular interval training because just watching RWH scares the [emoji90] out of me.

The other day at the As Seen on TV store in the mall there was a group of people buying the Insanity Series. ( sale ) They were all significantly BIG. Not just overweight. I'm talking ... Walking must not be comfortable for them.

I own that series and never made it halfway through a workout. I know it's effective if you could do it. But since I couldn't then it was a very good coaster.

I'm thinking those people are gonna die.

I own that series and never made it halfway through a workout. I know it's effective if you could do it. But since I couldn't then it was a very good coaster.

I'm thinking those people are gonna die.

How about 1 or 2 tabata drill. One last just 4 minutes. you do not need to start longer that five to ten minutes. ICE --- Metabolic total body could be a starting point.
Just a suggestion.:)

Last edited:
I can try ICE tomorrow. I tried X10 for the first time tonight and did the Circuit one. Ooooh I LIKED that one! It burned 258 calories in just half an hour. I tried it because I figured I better start incorporating harder Cardios like you guys suggested. Tacked it on after one of the Firms.
I guess my endurance has improved! I didn't think I could do it.

Finally gave ICE Metabolic a try tonight. I did it after doing a Firm workout that was pretty good but had an instructor that couldn't cue and talked to me like I was in junior kindergarten. So the difference in cueing was so huge it almost made me want to hug the TV.
I was very happy with this Metabolic workout even within the first 5 minutes into it. It hardly had any impact. I love that it moved along and I'm sorry but it fit right into what I'm used to with the AWT.
What I did notice that was different was the PACE. It was nice and not insane. But kept the heart rate up.
I do have one criticism though and maybe it's just the nature of the workout. But by the end you kind of wish there was something other than lunges and OH presses.
Then again I did come off a Firm routine and maybe I was just over lunged to begin with.
I really liked the deadlift squat combo and single deadlifts.
I liked the swing with squat to side leg lifts.
I subbed Bulgarian split squats for one of the lunge sections near the end.
What else is similar to this workout?
Thank you for recommending [emoji4]

Last edited:
I wonder what would happen if I did Metabolic Training 5 days x 2 weeks.

It's no impact so I think I can pull it off.
Where's that tape measure?

Or I can alternate it with Volume 1. Damn I bet that would get results!

I finally tried the High Step Training workout. I admit being afraid to try it because I can't do her hard stuff. ( TTM, Cross Fire, Body Maxes etc. )
So I dreaded trying this one. When she started with Power 15s I thought " Oh No!!!"
But I made it through. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be once the cardio portion was done the weights were cool.
And after the lunges to the side were over the cardio was not impossible.
I do question the need to do 90 leg presses though.
And why all of them the same? I guess we could modify a couple of sets to side step ups.The HSC at least had more variety with the leg stuff.
The cardio was definitely thougher here.
It erased the 4 slices of pizza I had prior to it. Kept the heart rate up consistently for almost the entire workout too.

I finally tried the High Step Training workout. I admit being afraid to try it because I can't do her hard stuff. ( TTM, Cross Fire, Body Maxes etc. )
So I dreaded trying this one. When she started with Power 15s I thought " Oh No!!!"
But I made it through. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be once the cardio portion was done the weights were cool.
And after the lunges to the side were over the cardio was not impossible.
I do question the need to do 90 leg presses though.
And why all of them the same? I guess we could modify a couple of sets to side step ups.The HSC at least had more variety with the leg stuff.
The cardio was definitely thougher here.
It erased the 4 slices of pizza I had prior to it. Kept the heart rate up consistently for almost the entire workout too.

I change up the step ups. I do a regular, side and curtsy. I'll lower the step height and do more of a step up/lunge down like in muscle max (this one has good glute recruitment) I'll up the step height like in muscle endurance, do heavier weight and go slower (just a pause of the video)

I pretty much change up all the older workouts with the endless step ups.

You can make the workouts - work for you.

More glute recruitment would be nice. I'll check out that sub you recommended.

I thought it was funny during the fourth circuit when I started to grumble about the Leg presses and she goes " This time we have two back to back sets"
and I think my jaw dropped.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.