Meso 3 Squat Rack vs Push Pull Tower

empaloalto

Cathlete
I know I've seen many posts stating that the Push Pull Tower is not a squat rack, but can someone tell me why? I realize I can't stand up fully, in order to put the bar on my shoulders with the PP Tower, but it certainly can help. Other than being slightly compromised in height, is there anything major that I might be missing by trying to use my PP Tower as a squat rack? I just ordered a bar bell with enough weights for my 1 RM, and about to start Meso 3, but want to decide which routine to follow. Thanks for any guidance! Erin

Hi Erin!

One of the main reasons I purchased the push/pull tower is to use it as a squat rack! It says to not load more than a 100 lbs, and if I ever squat that heavy, someone wake me up, because I'll be dreamin'! I think being of shorter stature (which I know I am!) helps. I know it will be wonderful asset to Meso 3! I would MUCH rather have to get up underneath it a bit, then to even attempt to lift a barbell over my head at the higher weight. Hope that helps?

Iris

interesting!

Well that's good to hear! I thought I read everywhere that this wasn't supposed to be a squat rack, but maybe that's b/c most people here are squatting over 100 lbs? I am with you - far from that, and at 5'4", I can get under that bar just fine.
Where did you find the 100 lb limit? On the top of my tower I thought it says weight limit 350 or something like that. Is the limit different for those barbell hooks, then for the chin up bar?

Thanks for your help!
Erin

Hi Erin,

I remember either reading or hearing somewhere that even though it says the max weight it will hold is 350lbs because it was tested as such, that to be on the safe side do not go over 100lbs. I wish I could remember where I heard/read that!

OK - Let me start by saying I am aware how thoroughly dangerous this can be, but this is what I do... I take the chinup bar off the tower. Put the barbell hooks on the highest setting. Put the tower legs length wise on two steps set at a 10 in step height (three risers)

This gives me the height to get underneath the tower and use as a squat rack. You have to step over the cross bars that are at the bottom of the tower, which can be bad with a barbell on your shoulders, but I have to tell you, it has worked beautifully for me so far. (Watch me fall next time for having said that)

Im excited about this, I just bought the tower (I order it on Sunday and got it Wed!!) and am excited to use it to the fullest potential. I was going to do plyo legs this round of STS, but I may give it a try as a squat rack!!

OK - Let me start by saying I am aware how thoroughly dangerous this can be, )

I thought you were about to yell at me ;)
That *does* sound rather tricky, with the steps on the sides. GOOD luck with it! I am def going to try it, but it'll stay on the floor I think. I hope it works, because I'm really looking forward to it! I just got the bar that Cathe has & more weights are on their way - so I'm going to be all set to start meso 3 in a week! yaye!

Good Luck to you too. I have found that without the height, it gets tricky. But definitely take the Chinup bar off...You can't really maneuver with it on the tower, no matter where you put it.

I believe they say not to use it as a squat rack because it doesn't have safety catches, although I don't know what that means since I've never used a squat rack.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.