Mentoring a beginner - ideas?

D

Debra

A friend is frustrated with her workout routine which consists only of running (same route, no hills, same tempo every run). She's not getting results (surprise). Besides changing her runs (tempo, intervals, etc), she obviously needs to cross-train. She's now receptive to weight training (I've been singing this song for years). She's a beginner, with very limited time, so I'm looking for a weight training video that's a full body workout. She would be put off by "Get in Shape for Your Wedding." She does like my Jane Fonda's Workout with Weights (1987!) but there must be something fresher than that. I checked VF, & their recommendations were The Firm Basic Series & Kathy Smith's Secrets to a Great Body. The problem with the latter is time, 2 tapes twice a week won't work. She's hated my Firm tapes & I think that the Basics body sculpting video is the one that Tracy Long is doing the rodeo (enough said?). Any recommendations?

My friend also asked about Tae Bo. I've read safety concerns about Billy Blank's tapes. I do like Kathy Smith's Kickboxing, but I really don't know kickboxing or the choices. Suggestions for a beginner?

Debra

Beginner Suggestions

Debra, try going over the video fitness on-line. There is a section of suggestions for beginners as well as ideas from other beginners. You might find some assistance there.

At least your friend is considering a change. I can't get my sister-in-law off the sofa!

Videos

Hi Debra,
Your friend might want to try Jane Fonda's Personal Training series Total Body Sculpting. It has 2 full body 20 minute workouts on it that she could alternate. Jane gives good form pointers and goes slow enough with her reps that she could grow with this tape and use heavier weights when she's ready.
Danielle

Kathy Smith Option

Kathy Smith's video "Timesaver: Lift Weights to Lose Weight" is another option. It gives a total upper and lower body workout (twenty minutes each) plus five to seven minutes of abs/back. So its easy to fit in. It offers progressive resistance, depending which "track" you choose. For the time crunched and/or beginner intermediates, its a pretty decent tape.

beginner ideas

Thanks Donna. I checked Video Fitness before I posted here because their recommendations (Firm dominated) wouldn't work for my friend.

Thanks

I checked out Fonda's tape & the Kathy Smith tape on video fitness. KS's tapes had mixed reviews. Collage still carries the Fonda tape, so I'll suggest that. Thanks for your ideas. Can't believe how many women don't see how some basic weight training fits into a healthy lifestyle.

Suggestions for Weight Training

Debra,

The Firm Basics are way too easy for most healthy people -- they would only be good for people post partum or post-surgery, the extremely obese, or for older adults who have never exercised or haven't worked out in a long time.

But I must say that I kind of like Tracie Long doing the rodeo because it's so out of character for her -- if you ever met her, you'd understand. She seems quite serious and introverted when you meet her in person and that move is sooooo goofy
happy.gif

I think the Firm made the Basics series to please the "Powers that Be at BMG" because most videos sold in stores target beginners and the out-of-shape who make New Year Resolutions they don't keep. Anyway, they aren't really the Firm at their best or most effective.

Anyway, what about MIS with light weights? I know that one is long, but it could be divided into two workouts. Or any of Cathe's Pure Strength series might work.

Another suggestions is the Firm's "Boot Camp" video and/or "Super Sculpting" both of these can be varied as far as poundage goes. "Boot Camp" is made to be broken down into two 40 min weight workouts or one long workout. It's tough, but your friend can start with lighter poundage. Finally, "Cardio Split 1" by the Firm would be a good choice for an individual with limited time because it consists of two separate workouts -- Lower Body and Upper Body.

Sorry for the long post. Best of luck to your friend!

Thanks for the ideas

I think the Firm videos fit the bill because they're full body workouts in under an hour, but my friend hates every Firm tape that I've loaned her (no Basics). I'll ask my sister how she likes the Basics (she's a beginner). I have to keep her workouts short too, or she'll give up. She's my other beginner project. She's in a panic because I told her she needs to shake up her routine (just when she got comfortable). Thanks much for your ideas.

Another recommendation?

I started working out to tapes by doing Kathy Smith. But after her and before I found Cathe, I had a lot of fun with Reebok's Circuit Challenge (with Gin Miller). It alternates step with weight training and has a lot of modifications up and down for different fitness levels. It's a great way to progress. It took me from a beginner to intermediate. Of course then I started on Cathe's tapes and I love them! And so
I also second the suggestion for MIS or PS tapes-modified of course.
I hope that this of some help to you. Good
luck to you both!

FIRM Basics

I agree that the FIRM Basics Fat Burning is not so difficult, but I think the Sculpting With Weights tape can be plenty challenging. It's hard for me to remember sometimes what it was like years ago to start out with weights (although post-surgery I am knocked all the way back to Denise Austin's Xtralite!
sad.gif
). That FIRM Basics tape kept me working hard for a good two months before I could move on. The regular FIRM tapes can be pretty intimidating--Super Sculpting is so exhausting! Vol. 4 and Total Body Sculpting might be more appropriate (that is, if you like the FIRM!).

A really good series to start with would be the Tamilee Collection Quick Toning Arms/Abs/Buns/Thighs/Legs of Steel, believe it or not. I started with the Arms & Abs tape and really enjoyed it. I'd second the Kathy Smith Timesaver tape as well.

One of the keys may be that someone new to weight training may not want to spend a lot of time on it at first.

--Gretchen

Mentoring a beginner

Hi Debra! I would recommend Karen Voight's "Great Weighted Workout." You should really consider also Kathy Smith instead of Jane Fonda. Jane is just so outdated. Karen doesn't have much of a personality but she's top notch and your girlfriend will definitely learn a great deal about weight training from this pro. Good luck with your friend! Kathy

Recommendations

Hi,
I agree with Kathy, "The Great Weighted Workout" is great!!, and Cathe's PS Series is wonderful even if you are a beginner with wieghts, just start off with very light weights. Good Luck
happy.gif

Thanks for ideas

Thank you all. My friend is winding up tax season & I'm going to push her to add weights to her running routine. Can't believe how hard it is to sell the benefits but luckily the results show up quickly when you start at zero.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.