Menopause

I am 45 and going through the same thing. My doctor also wasn't "cutting edge" so I did some research on other natural remedies. After a lot of research and talking to several doctors I tried USP Progesterin cream. I wanted to start with something small. It has helped me in all the right ways. If this hadn't helped I was going to the BHRT route as well.

menopause, muffin top, and misfires

In Cathe's post on muffin top, she mentioned thyroid misfire. This happened to me when I was 46 and early menopause followed. At the time, I was running marathons for my weight control! A roller coaster of frustrations followed for me, most of which came from bored endochrinologists, who would see me once a year to renew the thyroid med and tell me to watch diet and "start exercising". It was a struggle having energy and I would drag through workouts sometimes. A friend of my does muscular research at UMinn, particularly as it relates to aging. She told me about findings of importance of hormone replacement therapy (HRT, Prempro and the like) and female activity level after menopause. She convinced me to see my GYN and he wholeheartedly agreed. I know there are risks of HRT, but they are minimal if you are healthy otherwise. It is important to know the risks. The other thing that helped me was firing my yawning endochrino doc and going with a good internist who balances all components of health. She has helped me figure out the best balance for me to manage thyroid and menopause. At any rate, I am 60 now, and in best shape of my life (for me, I will never be model material). Love Cathe's programs for getting me there over the years, and enjoy wearing smaller sizes.http://cathe.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Unfortunately, Lori, your Dr. is right. I'm 63 now so I know what you are going through. I've been an athlete my entire life-in high school and college I skied, played tennis, ran, climbed mountains, canoed, kayaked. I took up actual weight work in my 30's along with strenuous training for marathons, etc.. Met Cathe tapes when she first started producing them and have used hers and other advanced programs since.
I was anorexic twice in my life but came to terms with eating and maintain a pretty comprehensive plan that does not allow for much in the way of junk. When I hit my mid-4 0's and the waistline became tight in all my favorite outfits...I knew it meant war! That's what I pictured in my head-me with a club chasing a blob of fat.
It has been a struggle ever since...I've accelerated and increased my workouts to the point of absolute exhaustion, cut back to 800-900 calories etc.. but have found if I want a life that means more than keeping my waistline, I can't live like that.
I'm afraid these are hard facts of life....it happens. Just stay as healthy as you can, relax, get outside as much as possible and keep up the exercise....but not as a means to maintain an impossible youth, but to keep you happy and healthy.
I hate preachiness, so I'm hoping this does not sound that way. No preaching here, but only stating my experience. Frustrating, yes, but know you are not alone.

Hi loneswaneast.

No, you don't sound preachy at all :) I appreciate your candid reply. I don't want candy coated responses or suggestons. What I need right now are like you say, the facts of life. Even if I don't like what I'm hearing. And I truly appreciate the point about wanting a life that means more than keeping my waistline. I'm just seriously hoping that I can have both, at least to some extent. Thank you all for input. It helps to know I'm not the only one.........:) Still hoping to hear from Cathe!

I am 45 and going through the same thing. My doctor also wasn't "cutting edge" so I did some research on other natural remedies. After a lot of research and talking to several doctors I tried USP Progesterin cream. I wanted to start with something small. It has helped me in all the right ways. If this hadn't helped I was going to the BHRT route as well.

Well I'm glad you found something that is working for you. BHRT has been my solution but we are all different and it's great you found a doctor that is more "involved" and "interested". I think that is why I like the BHRT doc so much. If you ever want to know more check out his website. Great information on research studies with BHRT as well as information regarding it's long history as a remedy for menopause. I didn't mention before but it also helps to retain muscle. I've actually been able to see more muscle definition in the past year. Before I worked hard, ate well and still struggled to get the definition I was looking for.

All the best,
-Michele

Still Waiting

Hi Cathe,

While I've been very appreciative of all the replies and support, I'm still desperately hoping to hear from you. You're obviously doing something right, and I'm hoping for some solid advise based on your expertise.

Lori

Cathe's "muffin top" post did mention cutting back on carbs and that has been the key for me. I got the New Atkins 2010 edition and started counting carbs. I found that 100grams of net carbs is my magic number if I want to stay under 130 pounds. That is not really "low carb" in fact it is the upper limit of what Atkins recommends. But it works for me. The book is really excellent, explaining how the higher (even healthy) carb diet wreaks havoc on your metabolism as you age and become more insulin resistant. Insulin inhibits fat breakdown so you want your levels low at all times. Cathe has recommended the paleo diet which eliminates a lot of carbs.
I also found I was mildly hypothyroid so you should really get your TSH checked. If its over 3, you are hypothryoid, even though the lab may say 4.5 is the cutoff.
I'm 55 and if I can just eat those 100grams of net carbs I can look fabulous. Unfortunatly, I really like ice cream so I'm putting up with a little muffin top for now!
Beth

hormone replacement therapy

I've just been diagnosed with ductal carcinoma in situ (stage 0) breast cancer and the oncologist asked me about hormone replacement therapy and early birth control use as part of taking my medical history. He said that both HRT and BC use for any extended period of time increase the risk of estrogen positive breast cancer, which accounts for 80% of breast cancers currently diagnosed. I only took BC pills for 2 years, 39 years ago, and took an herbal supplement for about 4 years that 'balanced' my hormones after menopause started. NO family history of breast cancer, which is the biggest risk factor. So I'm really, really leery of HRT for helping during menopause and wish I'd not taken the supplement, but of course hindsight is 20/20, right?

I've just been diagnosed with ductal carcinoma in situ (stage 0) breast cancer and the oncologist asked me about hormone replacement therapy and early birth control use as part of taking my medical history. He said that both HRT and BC use for any extended period of time increase the risk of estrogen positive breast cancer, which accounts for 80% of breast cancers currently diagnosed. I only took BC pills for 2 years, 39 years ago, and took an herbal supplement for about 4 years that 'balanced' my hormones after menopause started. NO family history of breast cancer, which is the biggest risk factor. So I'm really, really leery of HRT for helping during menopause and wish I'd not taken the supplement, but of course hindsight is 20/20, right?

Omg.. Thats horrible! But if u dont take any hormones doesnt that bring on other risk factors? Like other cancers?i get so confused.

I really have had to work to lose the weight. I have been a fitness instructor for 30 years and had always heard you gain weight with menopause. I didn't believe it I thought they just weren't working hard enough or applying themselves.....WRONG!!! I am 5' 2" so every pound shows can't really hide it. I teach a circuit class using mainly treadmills and had been getting lazy and not really running as much. My class challenged me to run a half marathon. I ran 2 and then I decided to run a full (26.2 miles). That made me change my diet and I dropped doing weights as much. I am 56 and I lost 22 pounds as well as 3 dress sizes. I'm training for my second FULL marathon.

I ended up this year doing a total overhaul in how I was doing my workouts. I run 5 times a week, am doing the Cathe XTRAINING workout videos, stretching/flexibility workouts 3-4 times a week and watching my diet. As far as my hot flashes. They started at 43 and still haven't stopped but they're easier to deal with. My periods stopped 6 years ago,I do hope the flashes stop at some point...hope you find what works for you. Sometimes we have to get out of the box of doing the same old, same old..good luck and happy exercising....Leigh

Hi Lori!,

While I haven't entered this phase/stage yet (I still have regular 28 day cycles) I do feel my middle section shifting/changing. It is very frustrating and I have been doing a lot of research on this. I'm finding types of foods, moreso than even exercise can play a huge role in how our bodies process, store and burn foods. But that's a whole different topic and one that I am still researching. As for addressing menopause more specifically you might find this article that I posted in my blog today helpful.

Good Luck with everything and let me know if you have any further questions.

Cathe Friedrich - Many women experience weight gain after menopause and that weight comes in the form of body fat, not muscle. Is weight gain after menopause inevitable? Find out why it

I'm 48 and my doctor has just told me that it's likely that I'm in peri-menopause. I have worked out for years, avidly for about 10. 5-6 days/week, 45 -70 minutes/day, doing programs like XTrain, STS, P90X, Insanity, etc. I follow your advice on lifting heavy. I was fairly proud of my body. I do all my own cooking, I eat CLEAN. I have recently put on 7 pounds and my doctor says it's due to "the change". When I ask her what I can do about it, she says things like, it's inevitable, try acceptance, you may have to increase your workouts a bit, eat healthier. Is she SERIOUS?? I truly don't know how much more I can do, if you look at what I already AM doing, how can I reasonable do any more than that? Cathe, I can only assume that gauging by the fact that your bio states you've been in this business for 30+ years, you're either approaching menopause or have already been there. And you look beautiful, ripped! So how can this be inevitable? I'm so frustrated with my body, as I sit here and write this I can't stop crying. PLEASE tell me what more I can do to get back to where I was. I just refuse to accept this as inevitable.

Lori

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.