Men in videos?

It really depends on the "man". Some men will not even work with a male trainer. And demand women trainers every time they are in a gym. Also there a lot of men who really prefer watching a women hop around in front of them, and don't really enjoy a guy doing so.

But the one thing I notice, when I train guys, is never ever do anything dancy and expect them to follow, more times then not, I'll get asked, "How does the guys do it?"

Nope, it has to look like something can spill blood or hurt someone near you to get them to do it. And never ever say anything about them having a weakness or using something for a weak body part. The moment you do, they'll toss the item that is to help them in the corner and do the full exercise no matter how much they moan, groan, and grit their teeth.

So as for more men, I don't really think its needed to get the guys to do it, granted the men are nice for the women to look at. But as many males as I've worked with, they are okay with a male trainer who stands there and talks to them, but if they got to follow his movements, they are out the door and hiding behind a female. Which is one thing I've never understood. They are happy to play football and smack each other on the butt, but you try to make them play follow the leader, and heaven forbid that the male trainer walks over and adjusts there arm, so they are doing the exercise the right way. Sure enough that guy must be making a pass at them.

And I know some thing I'm telling a bit of a tall tale on this part, but I've seen it over and over, and it's really hard not to giggle when you have this very big and very nicely built guy, ask you to come over and help his male trainer, as it's okay if you put his arm in the right position, but the other guy can't. And since your there, the male trainer won't make a pass at him or whatever they think the guy is going to do. As I have no idea, as I guess I'm not a guy or think that way. It's just funny, as it's usually a guy that benches so much weight, that he benches twice to four times my own weight. I'm basically very useless. Even with the general barbells once they hit 75 pounds I'm out of the picture, other then to tell them to do this or that, but at that level I sure can't spot, them if they need it, not to mention, that I'd have to stand on a big box so I could look someone 6'6' or better in the eye with out too much strain. So I guess as long as they have a female around it's okay, no matter if she's doing anything or not.

Which is why I really think it's the moves of the video and not really the females, also if they have the perception of oh my wife or girlfriend does that, it can't be very hard. Trying to get that out of their mind is a real challenge. As most men think they are about 100 times strong then their SO. So other then hitting them in the head with your dumbbell to get them to listen, and realize you aren't a weakling and they aren't as strong as they thought. Good luck at convencing them of this.

Kit

Kit

Kit,

You offer a very interesting point of view...I never thought about the obvious! Hmmm, I think that perhaps Cathe may be on to something then when she doesn't add men to her workouts. I'm sure she has thought through the "phychology" of it all. Also, I am now even more impressed with the fact that my DH has no problem doing these vids, kind of unusual I guess. I mean c'mon Cathe and crew are hot!! I don't blame my husband for not missing a workout...AND he's getting one of the best workouts around!;-) dmd

Here here NY25! I'm on the same wave length - I actually bought up this idea under "Mixed Gender Workouts" in the suggestions forum for an upcoming video or DVD. My Dad had a shot at Boot Camp as he noticed there were other guys getting into it and although he didn't complete it he was keen to keep at it - I think for him seeing fit women complete such challenging workouts spurs him on to rise to the challenge himself! I reckon if the girls can do it then so should the guys without being intimidated hence why it would be great to see guys in future Cathe workout teams.

Really, I think that if you mix the genders and the people picked to appear in the workouts are as inspiring as they have been then both men and woman would want to do the workouts.

Also, having the men discuss ( as Cathe does in the midst of her workouts) how much weight they are using. I know that my DH uses heavier weight than Cathe does and has to plan his weights, pause the dvd player etc.. to accomodate himself. He doesn't mind because the workouts are so good. Just a thought. Shoot, I know there are probably woman out there who workout with Cathe who use weights heavier than Cathe does and need the extra time or planning.

If Cathe took this into consideration and used Men as well, I think she might hit on a market more directly. dmd

Hey, I know, maybe we could get Trevor to appear in one of the workouts!!;-) Now that would be cool.dmd

when i met john, i had already done 2 local bodybuilding shows. he was really into working out and i thought it would be fun to work out together. what i found out was that he didn't want to work out with anyone who was on his level (or above!). he would rather work out with women who were beginners and could 'look up to him' for advice and oooh and aaah at his abilities. it's too bad that men have such egos that limit what they could achieve. i love him but there is no way he will even attempt IMAX2 with me even though he sees the power and effect it has on me. if you have a man who will work out with you, give him all the encouragement you can!

men, you should try it, you might just like it!:7

Hi Green Woman,

Boy,I know a thing or two about male egos. I am a singer in an all male Big Band! Grew up with a Mexican ( very macho) father and brothers. I married a man with more good sense than ego...Thank Gawd! However, my DH will still not offer information on his workouts to all his male buddies. I know that his friends would be just a little surprised to know that he works out with a bunch of woman in home fitness videos. ;-) dmd

oh yeah!! i used to work out in a gym(i work out just at home now) and know a thing or two about form and proper lifting. i used to try and let guys know when they were losing form or doing something that could potentially do them harm. not many men said 'thanks for the help' mostly i got condescending smiles or just plain ignored. after a while i just gave up and minded my own business! oh well. woman on top, even if the men don't think so!:7

Green Woman,

You are a feisty one you are, and I have to say that I know where you are coming from. I just hope that Cathe comes this way and reads these ideas regarding "Men in videos". A new day is certainly dawning where home fitness workouts are concerned and we have Cathe ( in part) to thank for that! I mean, think about it...at least half the women here have a husband or a boyfriend, right? dmd

I don't think my husband is intimidated by the workout (well, maybe a little because the amount he exercises is a fraction of what I do). I agree with Fitguy. They just don't like doing things like mambos and "strike a pose".

I have suggested to him that he do some of the weight workouts, but he doesn't feel they're necessary. And they really aren't. I just feel it's nice to have a "personal trainer" there. I can't really pay attention enough to lift without her there telling me what to do.

A man's CTX series. Cathe and just guys. No dancy step - kick box and plyos. Also I think men like to work upper body more than women. I just posted a longer explaination on Video suggestions forum.

Dawn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.