Malapropisms

I love to hate malapropisms such as these 2 classics, orientated (it's oriented!!) and irregardless (double negative folks, 'regardless' says it all).

I was listening to some talk radio in the car yesterday and buddy was yammering on about some blah-de-blah problem and how something had 'exasturbated' the problem. I LOVE IT!!!:7 This is my new, all time fave malapropism! It tickles my funny bone and has an unintended clever ring to it.

I can't be the only one who loves mangled words, anyone want to share their faves??

Take Care
Laurie:)

lol @ Walmark...I've been hearing people say idear instead of idea...maybe its a down south thing lol Im known for saying axe instead of ask:p

My daughter used to say she was "flusterated"! I've heard people say "kindly" instead of "kind of" (as in, "She was kindly rude to me the other day"). When I think of more, I'll post them! Fun thread!
Valerie

Ohhh Valerie, I like 'flusterated'.:) The most memorable one from when my girls were little was 'underbrella'.
My kids know it irritates me that many people say 'supposibly' so they make sure to say it as often as they canx( :+

Take Care
Laurie

I work PT in the school cafeteria as a Monitor...not the lady who scoops the food, rather I'm the lady who controls all the kids, breaks up food fights and spit balls battles, and gets the kids out of the cafe in time for their next class. Anyway....

We laugh because the kids, regardless (see? not IRregardless, lol) of class/age, ask for a NAKIN. Not NAPKIN....it's a NAKIN! Every kid drops the P. We giggle everytime they say it!

Gayle

I thought the 'orientated' thing was just the British way to say it. We heard that all the time when we lived in London and it drove us nuts but we figured maybe that was just their way to say it.

I had a couple friends in college (they were twins) who always went on about the word "nauseous". "Nauseous means 'causing nausea' they would say. "If you feel sick, you should say 'I'm nauseated.'" So when people would say they were nauseous, they would always say it sounded like the person was saying they caused nausea in others. Ever since I've also been bothered by this, but I don't correct people because I think the usage might be changing now anyway. I personally never describe myself as "nauseous" but I don't worry too much if other people use it that way.

[font face="comic sans ms" font color=green]***Lainie***
fitness blog: http://fitnessfig.blogspot.com
http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/7.gif
"If you want to give God a good laugh, tell Her your plans."[/font]

Funny thread.

Both"orientated" and "flustrated" used to irritate the heck out of me until I finally broke down and looked them up and found them in the dictionary...

There's a song by this African American guy who talks part of the lyrics and he says "we conversated". Everytime I hear it, I scream at the radio "that is NOT a word. You conversed! You conversed!"

Of course, that one grammatically incorrect song made him more money than I'll make in my lifetime. And that makes me scream, too! LOL!

Kickie

This is probably more of a Freudian slip than a malaprop, but just yesterday at my workplace a leak in an upper floor caused the building management to close off all of the restrooms on that floor and all below; in their e-mail to the entire staff they described the problem and then said (I can't make this up, folks!):

"We apologize for any incontinence this may cause."

:7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7

A-Jock

On my daily runs, there is a gated community that I go through. It is of fairly new construction, so some of the houses have people living in them, and some of them are empty and for sale. The HOA has made little metal signs for the people who live there to stick in their front yards to indicate that the house is a private residence. The signs say, "Private Resident". It drives me INSANE I tell you! These people can afford a million dollars for a home, but can't figure out the proper use of the word "residence". :eek:

Why my son was younger, he used to talk about the "constructions" for putting together toys. My husband and I still refer to instructions that way.

My son also used to call Santa "Santalanta".

Oh yeah, and maybe the best one: "I've got a great myidea, Mama!"

Kids are great.....

-Beth

Oh, Laurie, I LOVE exasturbated! That is too funny! And A-jock, I almost squirted coffee out of my nose when I read that one! :7 :7

Some of my favorites are in those spam emails. To die "intestate" is to die without a will. We recently received an email saying that we should claim our fortune from the estate of someone who died "interstate". My DH and I had some fun trying to imagine just exactly how one does that. :7 :p :7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.