M2 Question

dcat

Cathlete
Has anyone done the biceps exercises first then back when doing M2 Back & Biceps? I posted the question below on Ask Cathe but received no answer. I'm just getting over back to back head colds that have sidelined me much longer than I wanted and looking to jump into M2 (and Shock Cardio!) as soon as I can. I decided I'm going to do biceps first anyway but just asking if anyone has done it this way and if it helped reduce the forearm fatigue. Thanks...

"I'm doing STS for the second time...I did Meso2 Wk1 Back and Biceps yesterday and ran into the fatiguing forearm issue while doing the barbell rows. While I completed all the exercises, the forearm fatigue did impact the rest of the workout. I had to modify the deadlifts weight slightly to accommodate the fatigue and then my concentration was slightly disrupted during the biceps exercises. I'm pretty sure it's fine but would like to know...if it's ok on this workout --and the others in the mesocycle-- to do biceps first then back so that the forearm issue occurs toward the end of the workout instead of the middle? (Sorry if it's been asked before but I barely have time to get on these forums anymore these days). I would like to try this order for the rest of M2 back and biceps but will it in some way impact the back exercises if my biceps are already fired to the max?"

I had the same issue initially in M2...I just dropped my weight a little at first. Are you doing the 6 or 3 mo. rotation? If your doing the 6 than I would just stick w/ the program as it is and drop the weight a little....my forearm fatigue greatly improved, all but disappeared actually by the beginning of M3. Now my forearms are sooo much stronger...my veins are starting to pop a little lol... I think I like it though ;)

Thanks for the response. Just wanted to quickly follow up for what it's worth. I'm finally back to doing STS after a long break due to persistent colds most of December. I'm not worrying about doing STS the way it was designed this time around. That's nearly impossible for me at this point due to my schedule. I'm treating each mesocycle as it's own rotation, either doing all 4 weeks in a row or as a 5 week rotation (as long as there are no interruptions!), doing the first two weeks of the mesocycle, then throwing in a week of two or three day strength or endurance training, then resuming the last two weeks of the mesocycle. Rest week is either all cardio, or cardio and one day total body weights and/or circuit training.

Last week I did the first week of M2 and felt great. I did switch back and biceps, doing the muscle work for biceps first and starting biceps right after the 3 warm-up exercises for the back. I still got the forearm fatigue but doing back last meant that the only exercise the forearm issue impacted was deadlifts, the last back exercise. I was able to concentrate fully on the biceps exercises and got great DOMS for two days after! So I'll be doing biceps first from now on in M2. I wish Cathe had done it that way!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.