Lurkers Invitation 2010

janiejoey

Cathlete
Welcome Lurkers,

Hope you found your way to this thread OK. Just want to welcome you all.

Once you post here, I guess you won't be lurkers anymore, but will use this name for now.

A little about my family. I have a husband, who I call my Joey and two cats. One is Winkle who is diabetic and has two shots a day. There is Higgin, who is a calico and very independent, but she has a great personality. They both have been rescued about 5 or so years ago.

Joey and I have been retired more than 15 years now and consider ourselves intermediate to some advanced workouts. We've been working out with Cathe for many years.

Today I did a light yoga. Tomorrow I'll be doing one of the new Shock Cardio's. Thinking of doing MMA Kickbox. Has anyone tried that one yet? I have a cold but Joey and I will pick up our routines together once I feel better. It's really nice to exercise with another person.

Again, welcome to this thread.

Janie

Last edited:
Hi Joey! I'm not a lurker but I will like to join you every day here on this thread! Luckily this week is my rest week, but next week I'll be back with STS cardio rotation second month...Today I joined a friend of mine and I went to the gym for spinning class @5 am:p Yes I know I'm crazy, no need for me to do that but she invited me and couldn't say NOOOO!:eek: She make fun of me and call me the.. Exercise Quinn;) so I have to live up to that nick-name, right?!
Well talk to you soo!!!;)

Hi Joey! I'm not a lurker but I will like to join you every day here on this thread! Luckily this week is my rest week, but next week I'll be back with STS cardio rotation second month...Today I joined a friend of mine and I went to the gym for spinning class @5 am:p Yes I know I'm crazy, no need for me to do that but she invited me and couldn't say NOOOO!:eek: She make fun of me and call me the.. Exercise Quinn;) so I have to live up to that nick-name, right?!
Well talk to you soo!!!;)

Hi Eunice,

Welcome Aboard! I was looking at your pictures and you have a nice looking family. And the muscles you have are to die for. Good for you!

Are you doing an active recovery week? And if so, what are you doing besides Spinning? Meso 2, you will find challenging as was Meso 1. But, you will also find you are a lot stronger than you think. Congratulations for getting this far. You are in for a treat. Spinning classes is a great way for an active recovery week and also to do during the Meso's.

So, Miss "Queen of exercises", will be looking forward to your posts. I'm sure you will have a lot to share with the Lurkers Invitation group.

Enjoy your recovery week,

Janie

Hi Janie & Eunice! I’m game to try a check-in. I have been a lurker here for years, am married & have 2 sons & a sweet chocolate lab. Currently I am doing the 6 ½ month STS rotation and am in Meso 1. Today I did disc 7 & then HiiT Pyramid. Now I’m tired, LOL!
I have done MMA Kickbox once so far, but honestly can’t remember too much about it. I think it was nice for an easier day, I know sometimes I need those.
Well, nice to “meet” you!
Diane

Welcome aboard Diane, it's so nice to meet you!

Would love one day to be able to consecutively do STS rotation for 6+ months, but my life sometimes takes me away so 3 months commitment is all I can handle for now. Good for you to commit for so long of a rotation! I'm so impressed/inspired by that.

Week 3: Chest, Shoulders and Biceps. Love this workout. I do fairly well with all the exercises except for legs. Oh, those are so hard for me. I guess because of that they are needed the most. LOL:rolleyes:

You did Hitt Pyramid on the same day as STS workout? Wow! No wonder you are so tired. I usually do my weight lifting and cardio on separate days, that way my body gets a chance to relax in-between those two workouts. Then the next go around is not so rough on the body.

I'm so glad you came out of Lurkisim. I'm also going to look forward to your posts. This is great!

Janie

Hi Janie,

I am a more of a lurker than a participant, and I've never participated in a challenge before, thanks for having one for those of us that may be 'shy'.

I am in my rest week between month 1 and month 2 of STS and I'm also one month into getting up at 4 AM to do a workout before I go to work. I found that there were so many other things that had to do after work, and working out was becoming secondary. I am doing cardio this week though, started out with Low Impact Cardio - the timesaver rotation - because I can't workout more than 60 minutes or so during the week before I get into heavy traffic approaching work.

I have gained back some of the weight that I lost, so I need to be more accountable for what I put in my mouth. It is a lot of stress eating, so I know why I'm doing it :)

Hope that your cold gets better!
Elle

Elle, Nice to meet you and welcome aboard!

Congratulations for making it through Meso 1. I applaud you for getting up so early to make your life healthier. Finding the time to exercise these days is hard, but making that commitment will do you wonders for your body and attitude. Good For You!

I love the Timesaver Rotations. They are perfect for a person who has a lot on their plate. They also can be split apart and tucked in here and there as needed.

You are not alone on the eating part. I've gained almost 20 pounds I lost last year during the Holidays. Am so disappointed in myself, but I just have to get back into things and continue on my journey. Never give up, not ever!

Looking forward to more of your posts.

Janie

OK, I'll bite. I have been a lurker for awhile although in the last couple of weeks did actually post a couple of times. I love Cathe's workouts but this is the first time that I'm doing an actual rotation. Until now I had just been alternating a cardio day with a full body cardio+weights day. I've been doing the STS/Shock Cardio rotation since January 4. I'm really enjoying the workouts and love not having to think about which workout I'm going to do when I get up in the morning. As far as results though, I've gained a couple of pounds. I think it's probably because I'm doing less cardio. I don't like that part, but I'm going to stick out the 3 1/2 month rotation and see how it goes. I'm not really trying to lose weight, but I sure don't like gaining it!

As far as personal stuff goes, I'm married, have 3 teenage step-children and 2 cats. I taught group fitness classes for about 12 years but had to quit several years ago when I was traveling a lot for work. Now I workout in my bonus room and I love it! In addition to Cathe workouts I also enjoy Mindy Mylrea, Tracy Stahle and Amy Bento (although her choreography and cuing can get pretty frustrating). Are there others that people like? I see a lot about the insanity workouts..they sound like they are similar to the Hiits in shock cardio?

Maybe I'll even get around to completing my profile now that I am no longer a lurker. :D

Pam

Pam, Good to have you aboard, welcome!

Seems a lot of people are enjoying the STS/Shock cardio's these days. I also like not having to decide what workouts to do when it comes to rotations. For now, though, I'll be guessing and doing individual workouts until I get better from this darn cold.

Some theories on why you may be gaining weight: Are you using Shock Cardio in-between STS days? If so, that should be enough cardio to help burn calories. It could also mean you are gaining muscle. Isn't that a nice thought? Also, you might check to see how many calories you are consuming during the day. Also when entering a rotation such as STS, your body is being shocked into something that is so different and in return is trying to catch up. Making it look like you are gaining but in reality is not. Give it a few weeks and I bet it all calms down, then you can see the real picture of what is going on.

I agree with you on Amy Benton, her cuing is a little off. I also have Christi Taylor, who I just love, her cuing is right on; then of course so many others it's impossible to put all their names down. LOL:D Oh well, I'm a video nut, what can I say?

Do come back and post, looking forward to it.

Janie

Hi, I'm Kay..and also a mostly lurker, though i post from time to time. I'm actually on a break from one of my classes atm (i'm an accounting major, graduating this spring), but i wanted to post before i lost my nerve.

I've never participated in a check-in/challenge before..mostly because i always feel i'm walking into the middle of something, so when i saw an opportunity to get into one from the start, i decided to jump at it.

Just a real quick bio for me..i'm 28..going to school in Chicago..married, no kids, unless you count my 3 furry ones..Joseph, Nibbles and Gymshoe..all kitties, and i loooove them. :) I gained a large amount of weight back in 2005 and have not been able to knock it off. :p I'm currently trying to overcome a lack of exercise motivation, mostly cause this last semester of mine is a killer and when i can sleep or stare at the ceiling, i really just want to do that. lol So i hope talking with you all could help me out.

Well class is going to start back in a just a minute or two, so i guess i'll check back in later!

Kay

Kay, Good evening and welcome aboard!

Glad you got up enough nerve to join in our group. Will you be an accountant just before the taxes are due?;)

The names you picked out for your furry companions, are so unique. How did you come by their names? I bet there is a story behind each one.

You are in luck, that's why this group is getting together. To help not only ourselves but our fellow team members. Congratulations on taking the first step to becoming a healthier person.

In order to help you lose weight, get in "DVD & Video Rotations". There are many Rotations to chose from. I would suggest Cathe's beginning rotation. It's a good one to start slowly and at the end you automatically are able to do intermediate exercises. Also, write down/keep track of your calories in and if you can calories out. If you do a hard workout, and really sweat a lot you can add 5-7 burned calories to every minute you exercised. It won't be exact, but it will be close to the amount of calories burned.

Hope this helps, it helped me lose a whole lot of weight/fat, and when I was able to do intermediate workouts, the fat just rolled off me. The thing is, though, every exercise is worked liked that. It doesn't get any easier, but that's OK, your body will get used to it and you will start to enjoy the workouts more.

So glad you are going to find the time to exercise in between classes. It's hard, but so worth it. And we need you as much as you need us.

Janie

Last edited:
OK I'm in. I have been telling myself that I need to stop just lurking and to start posting. I have been a lurker for about 12 years now so I think it is about time LOL.....

Anyway I am married and have three cats and in May I turn 50 :eek:

I had a bad Monday and couldn't get out of bed this morning but this is the kick in that pants that I need. I will be around posting for about a week and then I will be volunteering at the Vancouver 2010 Olympics. I will be at the Ski Jumping venue helping to look after the stadium. I won't be working out with Cathe but I will be getting a different type of workout (shoveling snow, putting up fencing):)

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl, 12 years!?!:confused: I'm so glad you are here!:D

We all seem to love cats. They are such incredible animals.

I'm 58, and in April will be 59. If I can do exercises, then anyone can.

Will be enjoying your posts this week and hoping you can find a way to post in-between your volunteering at the Olympics. What? You are going to be that close to see the Winter Olympics? You are sooooooo lucky! That should inspire anyone of us for sure.

Don't matter if you work out with Cathe or not. You seem to have a lot of exercises ahead of you. It sounds perfect for a lot of healthy work for your body. Seems to me you will be doing cardio and muscle building at the same time. Can't get better than that. The only advice I can give you is to watch what you eat and try to eat clean. (no processed food). Always grab something that's alive and try to eat some protien with every meal. Oh, and don't forget to drink lots of water.

Will be looking forward to your posts this week, during the games and after them. You are so lucky!

Janie

Hi Janie,

I am so looking forward to the Olympics. I have done World Cup events before but nothing like this. It is a once in a lifetime experience. I work in downtown Vancouver and you can see the changes happening. The media is all around and all of the athletes will be here by Friday. I am going to try to eat clean when I am there but I am provided lunch on my shifts so if it is like the other events I have done it will be sandwhiches, granola bars and an apple......

My brother will be there as well and we just found out we are staying at the home of another volunteer and they have provided us with a self contained suite in their house. We were so happy to hear that, they are a really nice couple. They are in their late 70's and are very active and fit. So.....if we are not too tired after our 10 hour shifts we can make something healthy.

However our Chief of Staduim said that they were planning things after some of our shifts such as bonfires, and pub nights in the town that we are staying in. I don't know maybe I won't be home much LOL......

Anyway I am going to try to eat as healthy as I can because I know that will help me get up at 3 a.m. and get through the day.

Cheryl

Wow Janie, you really started something here, thanks! Cheryl, the winter olympics sounds like it will be so much fun, we will all be looking forward to your posts.

I did IMAX 2 this morning. I was wondering if it would seem easier after doing the Hiits - Nope! :p I hate those jumps on one leg, they seem to go on forever! I noticed that we all seem to have cats too. I get to work at home today and there is already one planted firmly on my lap purring. It makes it hard to type with his head resting on my arm :) Have a great Tuesday everyone.

I have always been intrigued with the check-ins so maybe it is time for me to give it a try.
I also, have lurked here for many years. Have been working out with Cathe for 14 or so years. Bought my first video off of Collage-Cardio Step Challenge and was hooked. I have everything she has made since then.
I will be 49 in the spring. Have 4 sons- three at home and one in college. Just recently returned to school after 18 years as a stay at home mom. I think I have gained about 30 pounds over the last couple of years due to stress eating and no motivation to exercise but am going to get back on track this year!
Pets include: horses, ducks, chickens, dogs, cats, cockatiels, turtle and fish. Don't think I forgot anyone. They are all my babies-except my husband takes care of the fish.
Thanks Janey for calling out us lurkers!
Off to feed the zoo followed by MMA Kickbox for the first time!
Gabriella

Cheryl, I would be in 7th heaven if I could do what you are doing? Seeing the Olympics first hand has got to be out of this world! The diet doesn't really sound too bad. Oh, and please indulge us, (if you can) with first hand information about the Olympics. It is a once in a life time opportunity for you so, enjoy the moments. That's probably what I would do.

Pam, All the IMAX's are pretty hard. I haven't done Hiits yet, so thank you for the heads up on that one. Awwwwwww a kitty head on your arm, how sweet. You did really good on your workout. Good for you!

Gabriella, Welcome aboard! It's so nice to meet you. I also have all of Cathe's DVD's and some of her VHS. Was at a second hand store and got this tape from an instructor called MIC (Maximum Intensity Cardio). When I tried it, it was so hard and so much fun, I had to see who it was because I wanted more. It was Cathe. Hooked from then on.

Congratulations for going back to school and fulfilling your own dreams. What are you taking in college?

That is what this forum is all about. To share our experiences and knowledge on how to be fit and healthy with one another. Good for you for wanting a better and healthier life. It's out there, all we have to do, (with work) is grab on to it.

Love the menagerie of pets you have! Are you on a farm or a place with acreage?

Have to tell you that I was almost called Gabriella, but my Mom thought it would be to long of a name to write so she chose the name Gay (short for Gabriella) for my middle name. LOL

Enjoy feeding your animals.

Will be doing another yoga today, I'm just not up to par yet with my exercises due to my awful cold.

Will come back later to see how ya all are doing.

Janie

Will be back in just a couple of days. Please stay aboard.

Eunice
Diane
Elle
Pam
Kay
Cheryl
Gabriella

This is bad timing on my husbands part, but, he asked if we could go to the ocean. What could I say but yes? I'm hoping all of you will continue on this thread and get to know one another. It's a great thread to mix our knowledge and experiences and share them with people who need the inspiration of others. I find great joy in that fact.

It will only be a couple of days and won't have internet access, so I'm hoping when I come back you all will still be around. I trust that you will be.

We will leave tomorrow morning and be back most likely on Friday. Just in time for the weekend. I'll catch up with you when I get back.

So far I think we have a great group of committed people who will get along and have a great time here. There's enough diversity to learn from one another too, with the same goals in mind.

In the mean time, I'll be here all day and night, and looking forward to hearing from you all.

Please stay aboard.

Janie

Last edited:
Hi to all fellow lurkers! I guess I'm not the only one who has been lurking here for years, it's nice to have company:). Maybe we can call ourselve The Long-Time Lurkers' Group, LOL.
Janie, thanks for starting this & you go enjoy that ocean with your husband! Do you live near the coast? I'm out on the west coast, but actually don't get to the ocean very often.
I wish I could get away with alternating weight & cardio days, but my body seems to need more cardio, so even though the HiiTs are hard, their length is perfect to add on after a weight workout. As far as my commitment to a 6 month rotation, I guess only time will tell if it works out;). Last year I did the 3 month one, so I thought I'd go this route now. So are you doing STS too? I know what you mean about the leg workouts, they seem to be the most exhausting, don't they!
Pam, I think I may be the only one here without a cat! My sister has cats, does that count:p?
So today I went easier & did an old Christi Taylor video, which I haven't done in I don't know how long. It was alot of fun, I guess I needed a change today. Well, I hope everyone's day has gone well so far!

Diane

Hi Eunice,

Welcome Aboard! I was looking at your pictures and you have a nice looking family. And the muscles you have are to die for. Good for you!

Are you doing an active recovery week? And if so, what are you doing besides Spinning? Meso 2, you will find challenging as was Meso 1. But, you will also find you are a lot stronger than you think. Congratulations for getting this far. You are in for a treat. Spinning classes is a great way for an active recovery week and also to do during the Meso's.

So, Miss "Queen of exercises", will be looking forward to your posts. I'm sure you will have a lot to share with the Lurkers Invitation group.

Enjoy your recovery week,
Janie[/QUOT

Hi Janie,
This is something really good going on here with the Lurkers invitation!! a lot of the ladies are going to jump and get togheter, and talk about everything... I'm not that good like you are (talking to one and each of us) but I will try...

Thanks you made my day( the muscles you have are to die for. )
Sorry I did not say anything about my self,
I have 4 daughters between 19 years old, 14,7 and 5 years old, no pets my DH is a Marine we live in the desert nothing interesting around here, I start working out with Cathe 3 years ago I saw her on Fit TV and I knew I had to have her, I look all over for her I did not know how easy was just type Cathe.com but I did so now I have almost all of her DVDs. So I workout 6 days a week since I have nothing to do and this is good for my self.
I went to the RT on 2008 I met nice ladies, that I still on touch with them, of course Cathe is someone really,really special and I can't wait to see her again this March here in San Diego.:D

Today I did body max2 (cardio blast) it was fun I'm not that good at dancing so when I do step i feel like I'm the best dancer in the whole wide world!!!:p
So have a good day everyone and talk to you all soon!;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.