Lower Body Fat - Staying Warm

famousohara

Cathlete
For any of you who choose to stay lean throughout the winter, and maintain a "lower" % of body fat . . . how do you survive the cold weather? Are you not constantly freezing?

Mo

Well, I can't say that I have a lower body fat from previous years but this winter I'm working out harder than ever before and I do feel the cold more this year for some reason.

I've been wondering if that is the reason.

Yes I am always cold. I'm always bundled up. When Im home I wear flannel pj pants and long sleeve shirts with socks and fuzzy slippers. At work I wear a uniform and always wear long johns. People at work think Im crazy because I always have a heater under my desk. My husband says I have no blood!!!!!!!!!

I am always cold too! I don't know my bodyfat percentage exactly, but I'm 5'7" and weigh 113 lbs. I have a very slender body type, and I've always been this way. I do find that when I'm working out and running very intensely, I stay warmer. But in general, I'm the one huddled under the blanket in the winter. My hands and feet are always cool to the touch.

We spent a week in Utah at Christmas time and I thought I was NEVER going to be warm again! Granted, we were on the ski slopes and the temp was below zero, but still... I am not built for that kind of cold. I could never live there and be comfortable.

This is my first winter with my new lean body and I am shocked by how cold I am all the time! I wear lots of layers to stay warm and I double my socks to keep my feet warm. I also wear big fuzzy slippers at home (over the doubled up socks!).

I am slimmer this winter than I have been in a long time, actually lost instead of gaining, and I think that I am colder too.

My daughter is slender and has low body fat percentage and she is always cold. She usually just bundles up more than the rest of us.

I thought about this yesterday. I worked 2 day shifts and I was freezing! And I wondered was it b/c I am 10-15 lbs lighter then I normally am? Even in the t.v room, where we have the heat as high as it can go, I sat by the heater and still didn't warm up! It could also be due to the fact that I am use to wood heat now. We built a bigger home last yr and put in a woodstove to cut down on the cost of heat. That thing gives off some good heat! LOVE IT!

I am always cold. If the temp is less than 72, then I am cold. I am resigned to this. The only time I was ever "warm" below 72 degrees was when i was pregnant. That was the only part of pregnancy i did enjoy LOL! I am not suggesting pregnancy by a means of warmth, as last night I froze my a** off sleeping on the floor next to my six year old keeping monsters away.

I am always cold if my wood furnace is not runnng. It is a huge difference heating with wood we have been doing it for 8 years and I grew up with my dad having wood stoves. It is a joke in our family when we go over we have to put layers on and when they come by us they bring tank tops and shorts. Anyone else heat with wood?

beth6395

"Another one that proves equipment is not necessary to get the job done" -Cathe Friedrich

>I am always cold if my wood furnace is not runnng. It is a
>huge difference heating with wood we have been doing it for 8
>years and I grew up with my dad having wood stoves. It is a
>joke in our family when we go over we have to put layers on
>and when they come by us they bring tank tops and shorts.
>Anyone else heat with wood?

i used to when we owned our own place in the country. it was the best thing EVER!!! plus having to chop wood made for a really great workout too!i miss it b/c for one the electric bill was lower. since moving to the city and having to rent(can't afford a house in the city)we have no choice its either gas or electric depending on where you rent from. i have to have socks and a long sleeve or sweatshirt on to feel just mildly comfortable here. we get such chill in the place and the worse for me is when my toes get cold then i feel completely cold.

kassia

http://www.picturetrail.com/ldy_solana

"And do what thee wilt as long as ye harm none"

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1307/4842454/16585805/276676894.jpg

I am always, always, always freezing my butt off! I am at work right now and it's 69 degrees in here. I'm wearing a tee shirt, a sweater, a scarf, and a jacket. I am slim but hardly a tooth pick.

I remember when I lived in Boston (I just moved from there) that I would actually cry when I had to walk to and from work in the winter. (It was a looooong walk). It was so cold in the winter and my feet, legs, and face would just freeze. I would walk into work just sobbing because I was so cold. I was so bundled up too! I thank my lucky stars all the time now that when I walk out of my job at night I get to ride home in my warm, comfy car!!

As a side note, when I was in highschool I was severely, severely underweight and I remember being so cold all the time that I couldn't function. I would call my mother between classes and I would be completely inconsolable because I was so cold. There were times when she had to come up to the school and bring me extra layers. So, I do think that body fat plays a role in your body temp.

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

Wow - I actually didn't expect this topic to elicit so many responses! Granted, I have dropped some weight, but I also attribute my inability to get the "chill" out of my bones to getting older. The older I get, the less I care for this weather. The bright side? Chivering burns calories, doesn't it?

Wishing everyone a good and "warm" Thursday.

Mo

I'm also much colder this year than last winter. I've dropped 15 pounds and swapped a lot of fat for muscle besides. I wear lots of layers. I go take a hot shower the second I get done exercising to keep me from cramping and then put sweats on. We keep the house nice and warm, too. But the office. Cold, cold, cold. I agree with Kathryn about soups and teas helping to warm up from the inside out.

April

I moved to NJ from the South in June. Good god, it is so cold here I am just in shock everytime I go outside. I think I drink 6 cups of hot tea every day. I have discovered layering and now wear about 3 shirts/hoodies/things and 2 layers on the legs all the time. But I'm still cold, especially my hands. I told my DH to ask for a Houston transfer.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.