Lower body & Ab workout suggestions

Viola1625

Cathlete
I am looking for some leg/ lower body workouts to supplement my P90X/P90X2/Insanity workouts. These come with a great variety of challenging upper body split workouts, but usually use the same leg workout for the entire strength phases. I have never done a Cathe workout before, but love what I see from the video samples. I would like to pick 3 or 4 very challenging and different routines from Cathe's workouts. Here are some I am considering: Butts and Guts, STS Plyo Legs #35, Legs & Glutes, Lower Body Blast, and maybe a leg workout from STS messo 2 (if so, which one??).... Gym Legs and pyramid legs also look great. There are so many I'm having trouble choosing. I'd also like some additional 15 min Ab workouts that are very challenging... I was thinking the STS Ab circuits set? Any input or suggestions would be very much appreciated. I've looked at the video samples, but would love input from any who have done the workouts. Background on me: I have many years of weight lifting experience. For 16 years I did my weights in the gym, but due to schedule issues, I started working out from home, almost 1 year ago. I like to really push and challenge myself and like intense work outs. I got the above mentioned DVD programs to give me fresh ideas for home workouts, and I enjoy the pacing. I workout in 1 month phases so things don't plateau. Per week, usually I do 3 weights/strength workouts, 1 Plyo/HIIT type cardio ( insanity, or the Plyo stuff from p90x&p90x2), one hard HIIT run, and 1 90 minute power yoga (I usually use Blanchard's stuff). Thank you so much for any advice you can give me!

My favorites leg routines are Lower Body Blast, great cardio and strengthening in one tape! Turbo Barre from the LIS series is fantastic as well, prob my favorite leg tape!
B&G is a great w/o but I rarely do it since it usually bothers my back (I am not sure why) It is worth purchasing however for the ab routines.
STS is a great purchase, the leg w/o in Meso 1 is my favorite. If you can afford it I'd buy the entire series, I have done insanity and P90X and STS is sooooo much better!! It is so different and really hits every muscle.
I have legs and glutes and the pyramid w/o but rarely reach for them since her newer w/o IMHO are better.
Hope this helps.

Lower Body Blast and Butts and Guts are two of my all time favorite lower body dvds. Another favorite is the lower body split from Trisets (from the low impact series). That one is the most effective dvd for me in the time worked (39 min). DOMS every time! All of the STS leg dvds are really awesome...you really can't go wrong with any of them. Plyo legs are awesome, and her new xtrain workout Cardio Leg Blast is supposed to be similar (I haven't done this one yet but plan to on Sunday).

I agree that her newer ones are superior to the older ones, although of those Gym Style legs is pretty great, too.

Butts and guts and plyo legs are my two favorite lower body/ab workouts. I have done p90x and insanity and really enjoyed them too but love Cathe more! Butts and guts is my go to workout when I really want a tough intense lower body workout. I always feel so good when I do this entire workout!

I recommend Total Body Trisets Lower Body. You will feel it the next day...or 2, or 3. Nice balance of weighted & non-weighted exercises & it is not lengthy.

I did B&G for the first time this morning. Very humbling. I knew that I lost strength in my legs, but I quickly realized that I was in trouble when I wanted to stop after the first set of lunge/plie squats. haha! Holy smokes. I made it through the entire workout and am very happy that I have a massage scheduled for later this morning. The core/ab section was excellent. The stretch on this workout is fabulous, by the way. Really loosened up my perpetually tight back.

4DS legs is really good and it's short - 30 minutes. You can do a premix that combines bootcamp with lower body (circuit). It's outstanding.

LIS Lower body trisets is a favourite of mine too. It's short and gets you good - for days. Pyramid Lower Body - also AMAZING. And everything else that everyone else said - it's all good. really. Just buy them all. :eek:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.