low max

melly76

Cathlete
hi everyone.i've heard mixed reviews about this one.can you give your opinions and description.is it similar to LIC,difficult to pick up etc.many thanks,mel

low max is great! but what work out isnt??!! its all fairly basic moves with low impact intervals that are simple but challenging. There is no weight work however. I like this workout, and i have read that the calorie burn during this workout is well worth it.

thanks ladies.it still has the step in it doesn'tshe,is it fast paced.coming back from injury so need low impact but don't want to be wasting my time either.what sort of step are involved?many thanks,mel

Hi Mel! Low Max is definitely a step workout. And an amazing one at that! And it's ALL low impact hence the name. Cathe does it on an 8" step (2 risers) but you can do it on a 6" step (1 riser) if you want. The choreography is quite basic, and very easy to catch on. And I believe there is 7 combo's with this workout and every combo has a blast at the end. The blasts will burn your lungs and your legs without any impact involved! It's truly amazing. :D Go to Cathe's "ShopCathe" site and see the video for that DVD (about 8 min long) and it will give you an idea what your getting into. This workout is awesome and Cathe is a genius at making a low impact workout challenge you and give you a hard cardio workout. That's why it's called Low "MAX". Enjoy! :)

I think some of the complaints I've seen in various reviews of Low Max pertained to an insufficient cardiovascular challenge, but I find the workout plenty challenging if I do all (or even most) of it and pay attention to my form. It's not difficult to learn (much easier than Step Moves, for example). I don't have LIC, so I can't compare the two workouts.

In her introduction to Low Max, Cathe recommends using an 8-inch step for maximum cardiovascular challenge. Some people who complained about not getting a good workout might not have been using a high enough step.

A lot of people on this forum (me included) really appreciate the low impact nature of Low Max and are clamoring for a Low Max 2 or an entire Low Max series. I enjoy Cathe's IMAX series and other step workouts but the high impact takes a toll on my joints.

Low Max has "staying power" for me. I have not gotten bored with it after doing the workout for more than a year.

If I could only have two Cathe workouts, they would be LM and LIC. I love them both. Thank heavens we can have as many as we want (and can afford) though!

I think they complement each other. LM is all step aerobics with blasts, so it's all cardio. LIC is also step aerobics, but incorporates weight circuits. So on cardio days, you do LM and on weight days you do LIC. Both are very fun and easy to learn.

I really like Low Max - and if your knees are delicate, you can always do it with out any risers - just the step or just use a rug or towel. The music is great, and you've got all your friends working out with you! But as mentioned, check out the video clip to see what it looks like so you can decide if it is something your body will be okay doing.

I also have LIC and love it as well. I don't know why, but if I am in a hurry I prefer just doing a step or kickbox workout, I guess because of the time it takes to get out my weights. Having said that I love circuit workouts - great calorie burn...so if I have a bit more time I'll do the circuit type workout and if feeling rushed, I'll go for the straight cardio. Love having the option of being able to do either.

- sarah

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.