low impact

Autumn68

Cathlete
I have to cut back on hi impact due to knee injury and feel that I wont reach my fitness goals with just low impact (step, kickbox, boxing and elliptical) and of course weight work. Does anyone else get decent results with just low impact workouts? autumn:(

Sorry you've had an injury! Try Low Max! That is a killer workout with no impact! I don't have any other recommendations for you as that is the only low impact one I've tried so far.

Oops! Sorry! Totally spaced on the remainder of your question. I have never had to resort to strictly low impact, but I'm sure there are many others here who have and who will give you their impressions.

I'm recovering from a knee injury as well and have really enjoyed using the kickboxing from 4 Day Split. It's only 30 minutes, but very intense. I just modify where I don't think I should be bouncing and I still get an awesome workout from that one.

All weekend I've been trying to decide on whether to purchase Kick Max, KPC, or MMA Boxing, as all of these seem easy enough to modify or use a premix (although I haven't seen them in their entirety). It may not be as intense, but it's better than not moving at all. :D

Hope your knee gets better real soon!

Julie

Hi Autumn68

I have a hip that is bothering me. High impact definitely aggravates it. What are your fitness goals?

My main goal right now is to lose weight. I am finding that doing STS and (mostly) treadmill walking are working. Every now and then I have to test my hip and doing something more strenuous. I actually just got done with Athletic Step. I LOVE that work-out. For my goal - diet is the key.

The key (I think) is to take it easy and not injure myself any further. I'd hate to be sitting on the couch doing nothing. That won't get us anywhere!

Annie

I do mainly low-to-moderate impact (with some more-controlled plyo moves). I definitely avoid torquey moves, which IMO are more of a hazard for knees than impact itself.

What are your goals? (Unless they are foot, knee, hip and spine trauma, I don't see why you couldn't reach them as well with lower impact as with high impact. ;) Note to all 'defenders of high impact': I'm not saying high impact WILL lead to these injuries, but that they are much more possible with high than with low impact) Lower impact doesn't necessarily mean lower intensity.

Spinning, kickboxing, and rowing workouts are all low impact, but high intensity (at least if they are done right).

As long as I workout consistently, I get the results I want from my workouts without abusing my body with more impact than it's willing to take. In fact, if high impact leads to injury or pain, it will definitely lead to worse results as one is sidelined and unable to work out.)

I alternate between low and high impact. If I do too much high impact in a two week period, my knees ache terribly, and like Kathryn said, that forces me to take one or two more rest days to recover.

Low Impact workouts I love: Low Impact Circuit (the cardio only premix has a bonus cardio, and on days when I want more of a burn, I do the blasts premix after completing the workout), Low Max (don't let the name fool you!), Kick Max (it has a low impact only premix that I love), I also love the MMAs, especially Fusion (which has a little bit of high impact that I leave in, but you could take out).

Switching to Low Impact for a while did not slow down my fitness goals.

I hope this helps.

Kristin

Low impact is all that I ever do, and I definitley feel that I've reached and am able to maintain my goals very well. It may take some adjustment for you to find the right intensity, but you can definitely find it.

Just remember - low impact doesn't have to equal low intensity.
Someone else mentioned Low Max, and I LOVE that workout. It's it's a killer!

And I initially reached my fitness goals through kickbox alone. (TaeBo) So it can definitely be done, you just have to find the right instructors that will get you there!

thanks everyone

Thanks for all your comments. :D My fitness goals are too continue loosing # (@ 20) Anyway, I have most of Cathe's dvd's and tapes. I have low max and like it, I've been doing the new MMA kb and boxing. It's easy, but I still get a good workout. I usually mix hi impact with low impact. But when I've been doing, say - 30/30 and I use my trampoline instead of the floor for jumps and such, I make the moves easier for my knee - then I feel like I cheated and don't feel I got as good of a workout. I was just wondering if I do low impact all the time (mixed with yoga and weight work) if it will be good enough to continue to loose weight. - autumn

Autumn - maybe try wearing a heart rate monitor or some other device that shows calories burned. You might be pleasantly surprised and burn the same calories going "easier."

Carrie

I think you can achieve those goals with low impact work. On my hrm I get good results with walking on an incline at a higher speed (for me not for a fast person :p) I really like my low impact workouts. I wish Cathe would make an STS all low impact.

I have to cut back on hi impact due to knee injury and feel that I wont reach my fitness goals with just low impact (step, kickbox, boxing and elliptical) and of course weight work. Does anyone else get decent results with just low impact workouts? autumn:(

yes, absolutely. When I am unable to run and am re-habbing a particular joint for a while, as I am now doing due to hip pain, I use the treadmill for incline work and fast walking. I do intervals for 40-60 minutes duration of powering up a12% incline at 4.2 mph for 2 mins "resting work" and taking it up to 15% at 3.8-3.9 mph for 2 minutes for the anaerobic interval work and just keep this going throughout my favourite soundtrack. I usually end the workout with a full on 10 mins spent at 15%. This will make you sweat.

Alternately, I keep the inline down to between 1-3% and ramp up the speed to between 5.4-5.8 mph to my favourite tunes. Try Beyonce's "Single Ladies" at 5.8 mph, keeping your feet and strides in time to the beat. Just great! Again, you will sweat during 40-60 mins of this. (Speed work is relative: for some people, 5.8 mph is a running speed. Use whatever represents a "very fast, almost on the point of breaking into a run," speed for you)

Both of these low impact workouts are keeping me in good cardiovascular shape so that when I go back to running, I don't have to huff and puff my way through the first month. Combined with 3 lower body weight training workouts per week, I am in great shape. I have used both these types of workouts when rehabbing both knees from runner's knee. The inclines work, in particular, will really help your knee by building up your hamstrings and glutes relative to your quad strength, which you probably need.

Give it a whirl and remember 2 things: 1) intensity does not mean impact, 2) it's all about the high energy, motivating sound track playing in your ear buds.

Clare.

Autumn:

just read everyone else's posts.

People often get anxious when they scale down from high impact to low. One anxiety stems from the fear that we won't get as good a workout (yes, we can, many of us here are living proof) and will stop losing weight or start putting it on (I've been doing mostly low impact for the last 3 years, and am lighter now that I was 5 years ago, staying around the 124-126 pound mark versus the 134 pound mark of 5 years ago).

Another fear is that we won't feel as good with this type of workout. It is true that high impact delivers a huge dose of endorphins. No getting around that. But, you can still feel phenomenally "high" and worked out after a low impact workout. When I got off the treadmill yesterday after my inclines workout, there was more sweat on me than on most of the people working on cardio machines near me and as much sweat as the two guys running either side of me. We all three completed 4 miles worth, just at different speeds. So what? I climbed mountains during my workout!

The trick is to change your perception so that you are as satisfied and recharged by the low impact as by the high. Don't think you can't challenge yourself just because it's low impact. For me, the challenge comes from power walking for longer at the higher speeds or at the higher inclines. If you do kickbox, the challenge will come from "crisping up" those punches and kicks, making the kick and punch that much "punchier" and never delivering a wimpy, half-assed punch or kick. After all, what would be the point? If you do Low Max, the challenge will be in not taking any catch-my-breath breaks, and in going lower in all the moves and higher in all the moves, with a larger range of motion, etc.

Once you get over yourself and realize that what you are doing by switching to low impact for a while is actually going to be better for you and will improve your health, you can make new goals, and the intense satisfaction from your new workouts will come from achieving those goals.

Since I am doing so much low impact at the moment, I am less wiped out by it than by my running and am able to do 1-1 1/2 hour lower body and core training sessions right after it at the gym. This means I am able to do more of the specific training moves my knees and hips need to protect them when I get back to running and also allows me more days off during the week because I can get all my exercise done on 3 or 4 workout days per week, which better suits my timetable and low boredom thresholds.

Low impact can work for you. Take a look through your DVD library and pick out all the DVDs that lend themselves to low impact. Build a new routine for a while. Pour through magazines and tear out some great circuit workouts from them to try at home or at gym, and use this time also to get more yoga-pilates into your routine. This new shift and emphasis in your workouts could lead to long term improved health by leading you to take better care of your joints to prevent injury again. Promise!

You know, there is a type of very intense workout that combines cardio and weight training all in one, that burns tons of calories and is largely/totally low impact that you could try now: kettlebells. Perhaps now is the time to try a totally different approach to working out?

Clare

In addition to the options already mentioned, if you have access to walking trails-use 'em! The steeper the better. Walking on rough ground at a brisk pace definately qualifies as serious aerobic activity and is way different from walking on a sidewalk or treadmill. AND walking outside is so relaxing!

Clare, thank you so much for your input. I have a hilly sub division to walk (weather is getting better and better) and I have an elliptical, b/c it's better on the knee's. It has inclines and such just like a treadmill. thanks. autumn

I keep my workouts low impact due to knee issues, as well. I highly recommend KPC. Although it is designed with higher-impact moves, it is easily modified to low impact. And it's a kick-butt and fun workout!! I think the highest impact in it are sequential power kicks which I swap out just for straight-forward alternating front kicks. Let me tell you, when you take the momentum of the jumping out, that move is actually more challenging and toning for legs. On the rare occassion I do the impact, I don't feel it near as much as when I do the move more statically. I actually do this with all of Cathe's kickboxing workouts and love them!!

Clare, thank you so much for your input. I have a hilly sub division to walk (weather is getting better and better) and I have an elliptical, b/c it's better on the knee's. It has inclines and such just like a treadmill. thanks. autumn

Excellent news that you have hills all around you. Head out and do some hill repeats for 40 mins. What could be better! And as far as that elliptical is concerned, what with its inclines feature and all, time to break out the Cardio Coach!

Clare

I started working out again this January and after about 4 of the high intensity workouts from shock cardio, my plantar fascitis flared up big time, in fact my foot is just now getting better 2 months later, so I've been doing all low impact and going to weight watchers and I've lost 16 pounds in 9 weeks. Did you read the article "hierarchy of fat loss" in the post with the same name? It was a really interesting article that was talking about how weight lifting is the best for weight loss, even over cardio. After I read that article I've been concentrating on weight lifting and I've lost weight faster since I did that. Anyway you can definitely achieve your fitness goals with low impact. It's the intensity that matters not the impact.

thanks

I started working out again this January and after about 4 of the high intensity workouts from shock cardio, my plantar fascitis flared up big time, in fact my foot is just now getting better 2 months later, so I've been doing all low impact and going to weight watchers and I've lost 16 pounds in 9 weeks. Did you read the article "hierarchy of fat loss" in the post with the same name? It was a really interesting article that was talking about how weight lifting is the best for weight loss, even over cardio. After I read that article I've been concentrating on weight lifting and I've lost weight faster since I did that. Anyway you can definitely achieve your fitness goals with low impact. It's the intensity that matters not the impact.

Thanks Amy, I'll check out that post. Hope your foot heels up.
autumn

Hi Autumn, I hurt my back a few month ago, I did a lot of low impact workouts. I walked my dogs, they enjoyed it! I also used (and still do) the TreadClimber or TM (for walking up hills) in the gym. I LOVE, LOVE the TreadCimber, you burn more calories on the TC than on any other cardio machine! No impact! And of course, I used my cardio coach to get me moving. Once we get stationed back to the US, I will buy a TC ;) and a TM:D

I wish you a speedy recovery!
Take care,

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.