Low Impact Series: What were they thinking?

Cathe’s workouts have radically changed my body & energy. She just rocks.

BUT….There's NO AB WORKOUT IN "AFTERBURN"!!!! What the hell were they thinking?!!!? That downgrades an otherwise A+++ DVD to a disappointment.

And, WHAT'S UP WITH THE AM RADIO MUSAK/ELEVATOR MUSIC???!! UGH! No juice, no octane, no umph. It really diminished the series.

There are a lot of functional/balance type moves in the entire LIC series that work the core without specific ab work. I, for one, prefer to work my core that way.

I agree that some of the music is not that good (Upper Body Trisets is the worst). I used to really like Cathe's music choices, but not so much in the last few series. Luckily, there is a 'music off' option, so you can play your own (it would work for the types of moves in Afterburn, but not, IMO, for a regular cardio workout where the music and moves should be more in synch).

Haven't done Afterburn yet, but I've done three other ones, and I have to say, these are some of my favorites. Especially Turbo Barre. I'm really loving this series!!! :)

I agree with Kathryn that there is a lot of functional core work in the workouts, and the days of working your abs separately are numbered. I definitely do not feel that I need additional core work with LIS.

WHAT????
AfterBurn-Those spiderman moves with the disc????? That works your abs like crazyyyyy.
Or how about those dragging planks?? Are we talking about the same dvd here!!! LOL

I am loving this series far more then I ever thought I would. Haven't even given a second thought to the music b/c the work outs are so good that I don't care about the music! As for core work...I agree with the others...there's TONS of it! :)

I also have to say that I definitely feel my core worked in this series. Just LOVE the workouts. I also agree with Kathryn, the music in Trisets Upper Body isn't that great, but overall that doesn't bother me.

I am glad Cathe is using more functional moves to work the core, that's how we really use the core in life, so that's how I like to train it.

what?

Afterburn - just about the entire workout works the core!!!! even some of the standing work ... I LOVED IT - my fav!!!! and the music is also VERY motivating and perfectly qued! :D:D:D I for one was sweating buckets .. and thinking OMG ... what next? ... LOl .. EXCELLENT workout for the ENTIRE body - especially the core!!

I'm usually panted so hard and swearing at the tv, so I rarely notice the music much. Afterburn and the others all have tons of core work, so maybe you're looking at a different DVD. Just because she doesn't say - okay, now let's work core - doesn't mean you aren't blasting your core. All the disc work in particular is very core-centric. I'm loving this new series. It is probably my favorite!

I felt like Afterburn worked my core a lot.

That said, I do think the music is kind of bleh. Its not awesome like the tracks on LIC (low impact circuit in the green box) or Low max 'Cause I'm a firewalker' come on sing it with me now!:D:p I am turning the music off and using podcasts for education instead of the tunes.

Have to admit that I hate the music. After Burn music was very annoying.

edited to add: While I didn't care for the music, I loved the whole series. (Haven't tried yoga yet)

Last edited:
I'm with NY25 on this one, I haven't notice the music with all my heavy breathing & trying to keep up w/Cathe, but I do feel like my core gets worked with all the balance moves, the dragging planks, burpees, mountain climbers, and the other moves already mentioned.

Wow Sherry! I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate it if I replied to you saying "HEY SHERRY, I'LL TELL YOU WHAT THE HELL I WAS THINKING!!!!!!!" There is just no reason to be so rude!

That being said....

Over the last decade or so the fitness industry has moved towards training the body more functionally/as a whole, rather than focusing on separate muscle groups. So rather than just doing standard crunches or include a separate ab/core section, I chose to work the body in its entirety. I did this through the use of compound, synergistic and functional movements. This gets the same "core job" done more effectively because in addition to working your abs/core you also get improved overall performance, better posture awareness, and an enhanced metabolism :)

Cathe’s workouts have radically changed my body & energy. She just rocks.

BUT….There's NO AB WORKOUT IN "AFTERBURN"!!!! What the hell were they thinking?!!!? That downgrades an otherwise A+++ DVD to a disappointment.

And, WHAT'S UP WITH THE AM RADIO MUSAK/ELEVATOR MUSIC???!! UGH! No juice, no octane, no umph. It really diminished the series.

Wow Sherry! I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate it if I replied to you saying "HEY SHERRY, I'LL TELL YOU WHAT THE HELL I WAS THINKING!!!!!!!" There is just no reason to be so rude!

That being said....

Over the last decade or so the fitness industry has moved towards training the body more functionally/as a whole, rather than focusing on separate muscle groups. So rather than just doing standard crunches or include a separate ab/core section, I chose to work the body in its entirety. I did this through the use of compound, synergistic and functional movements. This gets the same "core job" done more effectively because in addition to working your abs/core you also get improved overall performance, better posture awareness, and an enhanced metabolism :)

Excellent response Cathe! I feel as many others do, this series is awesome for the abs (as well as the whole body of course). I really dig it! Thank you!!!!!

All I know is that there is a lot of plank-type moves in many of LIS workouts, (more than in past workouts of Cathe's I think) and frankly, being an intermediate exerciser now after a serious injury, they are working my core so bad that I cannot finish them all!

So, I am sorry that the original post person is disappointed, but oh well!

I am very thankful for the Cathe workouts- they are some of the best ones out there. Of course, as with anyone, some are more favorite with me than others... but they are all quality.

Last edited:
Great response, Cathe!

I feel my core has gotten a ton of work in this series with all the mountain climbers and other plank moves. It's actually a little sore right now! Love love love this series!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.