Low Carb Craze

BulldogMomma

Cathlete
What do you think of the latest low carb craze? I was reading the Sunday morning ads and was amazed at all the new food lines being advertised as "low carb". I haven't read the food labels yet, but I'm curious as to how wholesome these foods are. Don't we need carbs for energy? This just seems to similar to the "low fat" craze and that didn't seem to lower the obesity rate in this country.

Margie

Ugh - this drives me nuts. x( They're even having some sort of "Low Carb Summit" here in Denver this month. Keynote speakers are the couple who wrote the Protein Power book. From browsing the agenda it looks like it will be a gathering of people interested in making a buck from this country's latest food obsession. No, I'm not saying so-called low carb diets don't work for some people - I tried this way of eating at one time - it just didn't work for me. I've tried lots of different eating programs and I've finally come to the conclusion that there is no "magic" food or formula. For me, it's just eat more fruits and veggies, beans, etc., and cut out the junk, i.e., processed foods and excess sugar. Hard to do, I know!

Hi, Margie!
For me, carbs are the ideal source of stored energy which fuels us up for those times when we need to punch out a tough workout or keep up with a bunch of frisky kids. Protein is necessary to repair our muscles and organs but not a great source of fuel for energy and fat surrounds our organs and nerve sheaths and our brains are composed largely of fatty tissue. All three are essential to good health. As you know, eating too much carbohydrate means it will be stored as fat and eating too much fat is troublesome since it is redy for conversion. About ten percent of our basal metabolic rate come from converting food to energy. I am still eating 55 to 60% of my diet from carbs although I eat highly processed carbs very moderately. I have found that eating lean protein and high quality fat right along with my carbs satisfies my appetite and keeps me energetic and lean. I eat butter and cheese as often as I like but in small portions. A hunk of crusty french bread with butter or cheese is definitely a mustevery now and again. And let's not forget chocolate cake!

Still, eating protein, fiber and fat with carbs has virtually eliminated carb cravings which I did throughout most of my high mileage running days. I could afford it then since my mileages was high but these days, I stay at 30% fat, 15% protein and 55% carbs and it works for me.

I think the high protein fans we meet here do it very well and it can be done healthfully by eating lots of vegetables and chosing carbs that are very nutrient dense. Some of the folks my husband works with, who are doing Atkins, scare me! They eat so much protein and fat that their kidneys and hearts may be in trouble some day. They eat no veggies and avoid carbs like the plague!

I love carbs. They may even be my favorite nutrient. I am lucky to metabolize them well and that may be because of my body composition as well as a pretty good metabolism. There are definitely variances for different people although I don't know a great deal about them. I think the most important thing is to be moderate and find what works for you. Keeping your protein lean and fats healthy as well as getting enough fiber and eating lots of vegetables is the way to go.

What sort of diet do you follow, Margie?

http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/coollook.gif Bobbi

I do think we need carbs for energy. I tried the low carb thing for about one day and I thought I was going to faint by the end of the day. Literally, I was light headed, shaky and had zero energy. My body did not like it one bit. I don't deny myself anything anymore. I do try to eat more good carbs than bad carbs, but I still don't deny myself anything. Moderation is the key for me, I have been very successful and I still get to eat what I crave. :)

I don't follow any diet in particular, except the Christmas cookie diet in the past few weeks ROFL!! I bought South Beach and liked most of it. I think Self Mag had a review of the "doability" of many of the diets and rated Good Carbs/Bad Carbs most doable. For myself, I know that I was not eating nearly enough protein. I ate mostly veggies and pasta. Well, it's all carbs! I just make sure I eat carbs that are helpful most of the time, like veggies. Reducing my carbs a bit and adding more protein has me feeling very energetic compared to my former carb-heavy self. Alexis

This is another one of those crazes that food and supplement companies are jumping on to rake in more dough. Carbs are our main source of energy. Even those like me who eat more protein than most people need carbs so my body can break down and absorb the protein I eat. The key here, like every poster has mentioned, is eating healthy carbs, as opposed to processed ones like chips and crackers. I get my carbs from whole wheat bread, fruits, vegetables, and measured amounts of rice. I go on the 40/30/30 eating plan, but since I'm planning on doing more cardio the next two months, I know there will be days when I'll have to switch the ratio to 50/30/20. You don't have to buy these low-carb food lines. Just watching what you eat, practicing portion control, reading food labels, and listening to your body works pretty well.

Pinky

Low carb diets are another extreme, promoted to sell more and different diet books. But as Pinky says, we just need a little of everything in moderation, and not be so anal about it all for good health.

We actually need carbs to control our mood. Do you remember an article in Oxygen mag in the Summer that interviewed the husbands of 5 top fitness pros? It asked them what it was like living with their wives and ALL the men said that living with them in their carb-reduction phase right before a show was LIVING HELL because the women's bodies rebelled against it and it made them cranky, irritable, moody, depressed, and basically HORRIBLE TO BE WITH.

So, the answer is, as another poster here said, you just limit the bad carbs like cake, plastic white bread and endless candy bars, and chow down on the grains, frut and veggies and legumes and you will be healthy and so charming to be with that they will crown you Miss. Popular 2004.

Now, go eat your good carbs!!!!!! And be happy! Your serotonin levels will thank you, as will your nearest and dearest!

Ooh, I feel some fruit coming on.......

Clare ;-)

All of these folks said it better than I could have! This is just another craze, and like the no fat craze, we will find out in the long run it wasn't very good for us, and actually hurt us in the end. "No fat" usually translates to "added sugar" to make up for the lack in taste, and has made the country more obese! Low carbs will cause problems in people with borderline or undiagnosed kidney disease, which the late Dr. Atkins did mention in his book. Too much protein stresses the kidneys. You also are in a constant state of ketosis on a low carb diet (if you're following it correctly), and contrary to some beliefs, not everyone can handle this long term without big time problems. I ended up with a kidney stone big enough that they had to surgically remove it!! My urologist told me to get off the Atkins diet and he meant NOW. Your body uses carbs as it's first source of fuel. You are better off choosing whole grains and fruits and veggies - in other words - foods closest to their natural state. These are "good carbs", if you will. Foods which are overly processed usually contain sugars, which your body will use for fuel, but they are more easily converted to fat. This is why carbs have such a bad rap. It's the TYPE of carbs, not the fact it's a carb itself. Thinking about all this gives he a headache! LOL!!

I did Atkins from August of 2002 to December of the same year and lost 22 pounds. Then, when I tried to eat "normally" again, I gained it back. QUICKLY. I'm talking eating more than two slices of bread a day and those pounds came back on in about six weeks. No kidding. It messed me up. Bottom line for me is that it was not a way of eating I could live with for the rest of my life. I believe any program is doomed to fail for the individual that can honestly say they could never stay with it for life. I like the things I read on here about watching the ratios. I never really understood it, but thanks to all the fabulous advice and links to articles on here, now I do. Personally, I'm trying carbs/protein/fat at a 45/30/25 percent right now, because I do a fair amount of cardio, a little more strength training than cardio, and I'm not really trying to lose weight. I'm simply trying to build more muscle. Doing 40/30/30 is a bit tough for me right now because I'm such a carb addict, but it's something to work up to. That's just what is working for me. Everyone has to find what works for them, but I still believe the bottom line is it needs to be something you can stay with for life. What's the point of losing weight quickly if it's all going to come back as soon as you try to eat normally again? That's just silly, if you ask me.

Carol
:)

This is really encouraging. Many of my buddies are doing Atkins and think that "carbs" equal weight gain, and I've just stopped telling them any different. I stick to whole foods as much as I can, and I try to incoporate lean protein (I reach for carbs, whether oatmeal or cookies, first!) more and more to keep my body fed and fueled. I am most energized when I eat high fiber/lean protein/low fat/lots of water. It's nice to hear other healthy individuals say the same...and that no food is off limits! I love baked things, so I just bake my own using whole wheat pastry flour and cutting back on the sugar...yummy for me. Thanks for the validation amidst my Atkins friends (who I dearly love anyway!)
CinDee

Everyone so far has made such good points, I can't really add anything. Just wanted to tell you about a couple I know who did Atkins, and did the first two weeks just as you are supposed to, no more than 20 carbs a day. Well, when the two weeks were up they were in Wal-Mart and bought one of those little cakes from the bakery and as soon as they were in the car they both dug in with out forks! It was funny to here them tell about it! I thought "so much for the theory you will stop craving sugar"!!

Also, my mom did Atkins 25-30 years ago (this is nothing new!!!), and gained all the weight back because she just couldn't eat that way forever.

Everything in moderation. Calories count!

Susan

Probably the only thing low-carb/high protein advocates and I agree on is that Americans eat to many processed carbohydrates, which is very different from saying that "carbs are bad!" Do most people even really know what "carbs" are, I wonder? Fruits and vegetables are also "carbs"!

And by the way, what is the most important organ in our body? The heart? No. The liver? No. The brain? BINGO! What does the brain need for fuel? Protein? No. Fat? No. Glucose from carbohydrates. Yes! And while the body can convert glucose from other things than carbohydrates, it's a hard job. The mood swings and "fuzziness"that people can experience on a high-protein/low carb diet is because of the brain suffering from what amounts to malnutrition! Proably not a good thing!

I think this craze is an example of people going to extremes. While it's good to reduce or even eliminate processed carbs (IMO...just assume that everything I say here is!)like white flour and white sugar, to put whole grains in the same category and try to eliminate them is ridiculous.

While Americans were/are eating too many processed carbs, they were also eating excessive amounts of protein in any case.

I just saw a big new display rack in the local Walmart that is packed with "low carb" foods, mostly Atkins. Same thing (but on a smaller scale) at the local Walgreens. (By the way, I know Atkins is dead, but what did he die of?)

I have tried some "special" hi-protein/low carb foods out of curiosity, and I'll tell you, there are certaiin things that are MEANT to have carbs! Like breads and chips. The "low carb" bread I tried was like chewing the rubber sole of a shoe (not that I've ever endulged in footware, at least not in a culinary manner). The chips were equally as wretched.

Interestingly enough, even though there are doctors who may endorse these diets (remember, thought, there are also doctors who smoke, and drink too much...), organizations such as the American Heart Association and the ADA are against them. Sure, they may result in weight loss, but at what long-term expense? If you look at epidemiological (populations studies) of diets around the world, the areas where people have less incidence of diseases like coronary artery disease and cancer are NOT areas where carbs are low and protein high.

I think that a balanced diet of 55-70% mostly complex carbs (unrefined); 15-20% protein (I used to think 12-15, but have increase that a bit) and 20-25% fat is the best.

Putting on my conspiracy theory hat (and whistling the "X-files" theme song), I'd say it's a rather interesting coincidence that the low carb (and in conjunction with that "high protein") craze started at a time when dairy and meat producers were losing profits because people were decreasing their consumption of animal products (a very good thing, IMO!).

As for the previous "low fat" craze. It *didn't* make Americans slimmer or healthier, because, like the "low carb" craze, it focused people's attention on only one thing--X is bad, and you should avoid it--instead of using a more holistic approach to encourage a balanced diet. A lot of the "low fat" foods (besides tasting wretched as well!) made up for the reduction in fat by upping the processed carbs like white flour and sugar. "Snackwells" cookies, for example, are low fat, but I think the calories are about the same, and there is probably not much in them that is nutritionally satisfying. And how many people gave them selves permission to eat a whole bag of "low fat" potato chips or cookies or whatever because they were low fat?

And low-fat or low-carb diets aren't necessarily focusing on healthy, "real" food (the kind the body recognizes as nourishment). I sometimes browse through the "diet" section of the supermarket (where some healthy real foods co-mingle with stuff that doesn't deserve the name "food") and look at the ingredients. Sugar and corn syrup are heavily used in the "low fat" foods, along with other weird non-food ingredients. (Like "Olestra" that undigestible fat substitute that is in "WOW" chips. As in "Wow, what's that in my underwear!")

Hmm..guess I have a pretty strong opinion about this, huh?

CinDee I have found that people who are "doing Atkins" get very emotional about the whole thing - LOL! It's difficult to try and reason with them. I did the plan because I wanted to see if it would make a difference, and it did, but only short term. I work with four people who were also doing it the same time I was. One stopped doing it all the time, and only stayed on the plan about three days a week, but couldn't understand why she wasn't losing any weight. DUH! LOL!! Another stopped after a few weeks because she loves to bake and missed carbs too much. She's now on Weight Watchers. A third stayed on it for a few weeks, but didn't feel well the entire time, and stopped. The fourth stayed on it about 8 months, lost nearly 60 pounds, and is now keeping it off, adding carbs slowly. We call her the Atkins Poster Child, because she was the only one of us who had long term success with it! LOL! I'm sure it works for some people, but for me it simply wasn't something I could stick with for life, and I knew that after a while. Plus, I do have a history of kidney stones, and my urologist said I would always have problems if I stayed on it. That was enough for me. But, I know it's difficult to talk to people who are gung ho about it. They'll quote everything they've ever read to you. I think some long term studies are in order before we have enough information to say whether or not it can harm people in the long run. And, I don't know if you remember, but about 30 years ago Dr. Atkins first introduced this plan (in a modified version from what it is now), and it was not well-received then either. It's a shame he died before we had a chance to test it long term, and have some real information on it. I still believe a balanced approach to eating is best for most people, but I also know people who are Atkins advocates will tell me I'm full of it - LOL!!

Carol

Susan that's so funny!! I NEVER lost my sugar cravings, to be honest with you all. They were always there, lurking under the surface. All I can say now is thank God for no fat ice cream!! LOL!!

Carol

I believe Dr. Atkins slipped and fell on an icy sidewalk outside his office in NYC and died of injuries he sustained in that fall... I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that was it. And it was a year or two ago, tops.

Kathyryn I think you make some excellent points here! LOL about that Olestra!! I once made the mistake of eating some of the potato chips made with that substance ... and they went right through me. Never ate them again!! And, I did actually buy some of Atkins bread mix. Made some muffins. Threw them outside for the poor, unsuspecting birds ... LOL!! They tasted like shredded cardboard!! They were awful. I agree ... some things are MEANT to be made with "real" carbs!! And you're right - the "no fat" craze made people fatter, because they ate the no fat stuff like crazy, mistakenly believing they could eat as much as they wanted to! I think the fads ought to be ignored by those of us who are "educated". We know what we should be eating. We should just ignore the noise around us, and do what we know is best for our bodies.

Carol

Yep - that's what it was. I think it was just last year, or perhaps late in 2002. He died from a head injury sustained the fall.

Carol

You're right. Atkins slipped and fell. Personally, I think that strong opinions EITHER way (high carb/high protein/who cares?)need to be taken as that one person's opinion, not gospel. There are statistics for everything. And I'm sure everybody has an opinion that works for them. Alexis

Kathryn, Dr. Atkins died as a result a fall on an icy sidewalk in New York.

Another nifty carb fact is that carbs help utilize water. They actually hook up so that the carbohydrate can deliver the water molecules where they need to go. Which is why some of the weight loss on the diets is dehydration even if the dieter drinks plenty of fluids. Any massive amounts of weight lost quickly have to be water since it takes eliminating 3500 calories to lose a pound no matter what you eat. If I quit eating altogether, it would still take me two days to lose a pound of fat and I could lose a little more than 3 pounds per week on a no calorie diet based on the 1600 calorie average I have recorded lately at fitday. If I cut out carbs only, there would go about 800 or 900 calories a day and sure I'd lose weight but I'd lose my sparkling personality too! I get really mad when I read about diets that let you drop twenty or even ten pounds a week. It's bunk and it preys on people who really need good information and guidance!

I agree that it's important to read the ingredient labels, perhaps even more important than nutrition facts, because the more simple the ingredients the better the food and all ingredients should be recognizable too. Some of the food masquerading as health food contains a list of unpronouncable preservatives and additives that can't be good. Not to mention trans fats and sugar in several different forms. There's a whole terminology that can protect you from crap once you pick up the lingo!

I tried Olestra but never ate large quantities of foods containing it. For those who thought it was an invitation to eat huge amounts of chips, it might have been a nasty surprise. In the end, when I eat chips, I chose the ones made with safflower oil or canola and eat only an ouce because if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is! Making smart choices most of the time and adding indulgances occasionally is the best way to eat!

The only time I don't give much thought to my diet is eating out beause if I was too concerned I wouldn't be able to enjoy it and we don't do it too often. I don't go for Alfredo sauces or things you know are trouble but I don't worry too much about how it's prepared and I never can finish off a whole meal so huge are the protions. Usually when you get your leftovers home and refirdgerate them, you get a good idea of how it's prepared by how it congeals together. And that means eating lean and clean the day after dining out!

Sorry! I am rambling! Shutting up now!
http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/coollook.gif Bobbi

>The only time I don't give much thought to my diet is eating
>out beause if I was too concerned I wouldn't be able to enjoy
>it and we don't do it too often. I don't go for Alfredo
>sauces or things you know are trouble but I don't worry too
>much about how it's prepared and I never can finish off a
>whole meal so huge are the protions. Usually when you get
>your leftovers home and refirdgerate them, you get a good idea
>of how it's prepared by how it congeals together. And that
>means eating lean and clean the day after dining out!

That's so true! Though it's possible to get "healthier" choices, I'm afraid most restaurant food isn't the healthiest in general. And even food that is, as you mentioned, is offered in huge portions! Years ago, I was dining with a Belgian couple that I was translating for. They had never been to the US before, and when the food came, both of them looked at it in astonishment. I'm sure the portions were at least double what they were used to! (I once got a "serving" of pasta and marinara sauce that looked like it could serve at least 3 people! I ate the sauce and left most of the pasta! White stuff anyway, which I tend to avoid.)

>Sorry! I am rambling! Shutting up now!

Ramble away,Bobbi! I found your "ramblings" quite interesting. (Of course, they don't add up to half the word count of my ramblings!
:+ )

I had a friend who went on the Atkins diet before his wedding. He lost a great deal of weight and looked terrific. Well, that didn't last long. He now looks like he should be giving birth to a 10 pounder any day now.
I also have a girlfriend who just recently over the last 4 months or so lost 30 pounds on the Atkins diet. She feels much better. She is my height, 5'5", and went from 175 down to 145. I am glad for her, BUT what now? The proof of any diet is not that you loose the weight, but that you keep it off permanently. She is not an exerciser. Although she owns a Total Gym, Gazelle, treadmill, step, and some of Cathe's tapes---but does not use them. They just take up space in her house. I have tried to get her to just eat in moderation and start exercising. Even walking would be good. But she doesn't get it. If she keeps the weight off and looses even more, than good for her. But I have serious doubts.
I used to weigh 180 pounds at 5'5". I lost 50 pounds and have kept it off by eating in moderation and exercising. I would get up to 175-180 with each pregnancy, but I would get back to 130 pretty quickly. I love to workout and sweat. It makes me feel good both mentally and physically.
Why are people so afraid to exercise and eat right to loose weight. Sure it may take longer than a "diet", but in the process you learn to know your body and what it can do. You also learn to eat normally--nothing is tabu as long as you eat it in moderation.
I ate some luscious chocolate truffles we received at Christmas and also pumpkin and cherry pie with lots of Cool whip. BUT--I only had one truffle or one piece of pie in a day. In my old diet days, if I ate one of anything that I shouldn't my mind would say "you blew it, might as well eat the whole box or the whole pie or the whole bag of potato chips." Now I just think I can eat one today and if I want more I will eat another one tomorrow. No guilt trip, no obsessing.
If I obsess about anything these days it is about exercising and living life and having fun with my kids. Eating right and exercising gives me the energy I need to enjoy my life.
Sorry to ramble on--I just wish people would get it--there is no magic formula or pill or diet. Our minds and bodies need good nutrition and exercise to stat fit and happy. But we are not perfect and we can't say I will never eat anything fattening. It would be a pretty boring life without the "bad foods". We have to learn to maintain a healthy weight with a variety of foods and exercise.
I am rambling again. Thanks for listening.
Motherofsix
Heather

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.