Look Great in Eight Rotation

kelley111

Cathlete
Hi Brenda, Here are the first 4 weeks of the rotation. If you are interested in this, I'll post the last 4 weeks later.

Week 1 - Circuit Training
Sunday - recreational cardio for 60 minutes
Monday - circuit training
Tuesday - flexibility training
Wednesday - circuit training plus cardio intervals 1:1 for 25 minutes
Thursday - cardio for 45 minutes @65%-70% heart rate
Friday - circuit training
Saturday - cardio for 40 minutes @65%-70% heart rate plus fexibility training

Week 2 - Heavy Training
Sunday - rest
Monday - cardio for 25 minutes @85% heart rate plus heavy back, biceps
Tuesday - heavy quads, abs plus flexibility training
Wednesday - heavy chest, triceps
Thursday - cardio for 30 minutes @80% plus flexibility training
Friday - heavy hamstrings, delts plus cardio intervals 1:1 for 30 minutes
Saturday - cardio 45 minutes @70%

Week 3 - High Reps
Sunday - flexibility training
Monday - high reps back, triceps plus cardio 40 minutes @75%
Tuesday - high reps quads, hamstrings, delts plus cardio 35 minutes @75%
Wednesday - chest, biceps, abs plus cardio 30 minutes intervals 1.5:1
Thursday - quads, hamstrings, delts plus cardio 35 minutes @75%
Friday - back, triceps plus flexibility training
Saturday - chest, biceps, abs plus cardio 35 minutes @75%

Week 4 - Supersets
Sunday - flexibility training
Monday - quads, hamstrings
Tuesdays - biceps, triceps plus cardio 35 minutes @75%
Wednesday - cardio 45 minutes @70%
Thursday - cardio 30 minutes intervals 1.5:1 plus flexibility training
Friday - back, chest plus cardio 25 minutes @75%-80%
Saturday - delts, abs plus cardio 30 minutes @75%

According to the article, circuit training is choosing 1 exercise per body part for 12 reps. You complete each body part and then repeat the circuit 2 more times. This sounds a lot like Cathe's SuperSets, only she repeats 3 more times with different exercises.

For heavy work, you choose 3 exercises for each body part doing 8-10 reps for 4 sets. I'll be using Slow and Heavy for this.

High reps, you choose 3 exercises for each body part doing 15-20 reps for 3 sets. I think I used CTX upper body and leaner legs last time as it came the closest. If you have any other ideas, let me know.

Supersets, work 2 muscle groups back to back, choosing 3 exercises for each body part doing 12 reps for 3 sets. I'll probably use Push/Pull. I don't think it has all the sets and reps, but with the DVD we can probably make it work.

I'll use I-Max 2 for interval training days.

Let me know what you think.

I'm finishing up week 8 of this rotation. I had super results! I lost bodyfat and gained some muscle. It was never boring because of the changes each week. I used my Cathe strength and cardio plus I went to the gym three days a week for some of the weight training. I'm taking a couple of weeks off to enjoy my BodyBlasts but plan on doing another round in January and February.

Kathy G

P.S. I just had my bodyfat checked (7 site caliper test) and I'm now 14.3%....down from about 25% last year. Thanks to my Cathe's and Leanness Lifestyle living. :)

http://www.picturetrail.com/uid940253

Kathy, love your new pics. As I have said before, you have legs that are to die for. Congrats on the bodyfat stats!

My interest is peaked about this rotation but since I don't have a gym membership, I'll be looking for creative uses of Cathe (and other) home workouts. I know I can do one myself but I'd probably choose my favorites and not necessarily the ones that are most effective. I noticed at the Ya-Ya's that you did the Pyramids for the "heavy" week as opposed to S&H like most people seem to be opting for. Interesting. Do you think it would take a lot of dvd programming to accomplish the intent of this rotation with only Cathe and say SS for the high reps? Seems like the Timesaver dvd will be great for short cardio's with isolated body part tack ons.

Awe, thanks so much Colleen! I really appreciate all your support. :) Maybe we can just continue our Great in 8 checkin in our TT&DD checkin at the YaYas on 1/04?

I think for the strength part of the rotation, sticking with mainly Cathe would work best if you're doing it all at home. SS is too light weight for only a week at a time. Here's what I think would work for the strength portions:

1) Circuit week - Bootcamp/SJ&P/Viper
2) Heavy week - S&H/Pyramids (because you can really heavy up)
3) Hi rep week - CTX Upperbody & LL or Legs & Glutes/PowerHour/Muscle Endurance or even CIA PowerBar
4) Superset week - BB Supersets/Push Pull/Pyramids

For cardio, you could do any of your favorites...Christi, Rob ;-), TaeBo...whatever you like. Maybe do round 1 (weeks 1-4) reassess, then switch it up for round 2(weeks 5-8). Hope some of this makes sense. I think the constant focus changing is what makes it work, plus it's never boring. ;) If you keep the weights heavy enough to really challenge yourself, you'll be happy with the results.

Kathy

I am actually starting this rotation tomorrow and I'll be using Cathe's workouts. I may not do exactly as the rotation says, but I'm going to stick to it as close as possible. Below is what I'll be doing for week #1.

Sunday - Kick, Punch, and Crunch
Monday - SuperSets
Tuesday - SS Cool It Off or other stretching tape
Wednesday - SuperSets plus half of Interval Max 2
Thursday - 45 minutes of Step Blast
Friday - SuperSets
Saturday - 40 minutes of Step, Jump, and Pump (cardio only)plus some extra stretching at the end.

Kelly,
I'll be interested to know what you do for the entire 8. So please post when it's over! I've been wanting to do this rotation for some time but haven't been able to carve out a full 8 weeks where I haven't had to travel for my job. I should be able to try this starting the end of January so will be interested in your progress!

Thanks!

I got great results doing this. The ability to vary your routine and workouts made for a challenging and rewarding 8 weeks. I don't have the new BB DVDs. If I did, I would use Push/Pull or Supersets for Circuit, Pyramid for Supersets week, S&H for Heavy Week, and Power or ME for High Rep week.

Crystal

This sounds like a great rotation to do starting in January. Maybe have a check in if there are enough people interested???

Kelley- Can you post the second four weeks? Where did you find the rotation?

Rhonda

Hi Rhonda, I found this rotation in Muscle & Fitness Hers June or July issue. Not sure of the month as it just says display until July 22, 2003. I haven't actually started this rotation yet as I'm having too much fun with the Body Blast series. I may start it in January also if there are others interested. Below is the second half of the rotation.

Week 5 - Circuit Training
Sunday - Recreational Cardio 60 minutes
Monday - Cardio 40 minutes @65-70% plus flexibility training
Tuesday - Circuit
Wednesday - Cardio 45 minutes @65-70%
Thursday - Circuit plus flexibility training
Friday - Cardio 60 minutes @65-70%
Saturday - Circuit plus cardio 30 minutes interval 1.5:1

Week 6 - Heavy Training
Sunday - Rest
Monday - Cardio 45 minutes @70% plus flexibility training
Tuesday - Heavy back, biceps
Wednesday - Heavy quads, abs plus cardio 30 minutes intervals 2:1
Thursday - Flexibility training plus cardio 20 minutes @85%
Friday - Heavy chest, triceps plus cardio 25 minutes @80%
Saturday - Heavy hamstrings, delts plus cardio 35 minutes @80%

Week 7 - High Reps
Sunday - Flexibility training
Monday - Chest, back, abs plus cardio 30 minutes intervals 2:1
Tuesday - Biceps, triceps, delts plus cardio 40 minutes @70%
Wednesday - Quads, hamstrings plus cardio 30 minutes @70%
Thursday - Chest, abs plus cardio 40 minutes @75% plus flexibility training
Friday - Back, biceps, delts plus cardio 35 minutes @75%
Saturday - Hamstrings, quads, triceps plus cardio 35 minutes @75%

Week 8 - Supersets
Sunday - Rest
Monday - Back, abs plus cardio 35 minutes @75% plus flexibility training
Tuesday - Cardio 60 minutes @65-70%
Wednesday - Quads, triceps plus cardio 35 minutes @75%
Thursday - Cardio 30 minutes @80% plus flexibility training
Friday - Chest, biceps plus cardio 35 minutes @75-80%
Saturday - Hamstrings, delts plus cardio 30 minutes intervals 2:1

I lot of people think of circuit week as Circuit Max, Cardio & Weights, etc., but according to the book you choose 1 weight exercise per body part and go through the circuit 3 times, doing 12 reps. It does not include cardio, just weights. That is why I think Cathe's Supersets would work. I know you don't do the same exercise each time, but you're doing each body part once in a circuit.

Supersets week is listed as working 2 muscle groups back to back as in Cathe's Push/Pull. I think I listed the information above.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.