Lifting like girls

Decided to make up for the two days missed.......only because I hate missing the intense leg day (wow, I used to dread leg day), and because I would love to have my rest day during the week, so when we camp I don't have to drag everything along. ....first time getting through all of standing lets in Xtrain legs without pausing!

We are on our way back to the doctor. My son had a nose bleed this morning and now headache again, and sore upper shoulder muscles. So, doc is seeing him during her lunch break today.

Leg day, and at least I showed! I did get to 225 x 5 on bench squats, but I started squats without a belt and got to 185 and thought it felt heavy! I usually use a belt, but just forgot it ( do not think clear at 5 AM) I did 185 x 4 and almost stopped there, but put the belt on and did 205 x 5 and 225 x 5...I guess the belt helps!! Included static lunges, 1 leg hip thrust, staggard deads and barbell calf raises and 1 leg calf raises. AM PHILOSOPHY: some days are great days, some days are good days and some days are just days! Which ever day shows up, make it the best you can!! Have a great day friends!

Thanks, Justine. His throat is swollen, and his voice is gone. Now youngest is complaining of some off and on dizziness and a mild headache. I'm getting a lot of cleaning and organizing done though.

Did get a short ride in today before my friend headed home.

The weather is heating up quickly and so early. Tom, not sure how long you have been in Missouri, but is this normal? This is my 6th year here, don't remember it being this hot here. And more rain next week.

Low impact is tomorrow. Glad I moved my rest days.

RWH look like the two month rotation has two rest days the first month.minteresting. Need to check the book again.
Sorry rambling. Been a long day

Got a a slightly abbreviated shoulder w/o in. Nothing great accomplished, but some work was done. 11 sets of strict press, 2 sets of side laterals, 2 sets of front raise and 2 sets of rear delt flys and 1 long set of shrugs. While in "jail" yesterday I did try some neutral grip pullups and did 8 reps. It wasn't hard at all, but it felt like it was all the elbows wanted. I was relieved that at least the strength level wasn't really diminished after all this time of not doing them and with a bodyweight of 185+, I am packing more groceries than I was!! I am a day off and tomorrow will be arms...I really want to start pushing the weight a little, patience not one of my virtues and I am really getting tired of not being able to hit arms really heavy. Lib, I think we have had more moderate weather these last few years. I have been here 40 years and I remember in 1980, it was 100 degrees for 30 days in a row, and I think it was mostly in June. I remember this because my wife was pregnant with our youngest son! The winters have seemed to be milder as well. We have had winters with wind chills in the -25 -35 degree range. I have had to deal with frozen pipes etc, but not for years. The first winter we lived here, I cut through 15+ inches of ice on a pond to ice fish!...what was I thinking! (Now I remember, BEER was involved!!) Have a great weekend Commandos!!

Yesterday for me was back and biceps. I decided to alternate between pull-ups, (all varieties) and bicep curls, (all angles.) Great workout, love the lat explosion, but definitely need a cut. Maybe I will start Monday. Tonight will be legs. I usually make legs a metabolic circuit of some sort. Love metabolic.
Have a great weekend Commandos!

Wow, Tom! I would have never guessed any of that! I need to find a job that I can travel south for winters and north for Summer's I guess. ;)

Hope everyone is well.

Did all out today, it was a low energy day for me. But I got through it. On the up side, I did mountain climbers on the floor! And all the way through! I have always done them from a chair as it was a lot of strain on my body.

Again, I want to thank you all for your support, turning me onto Xtrain and the the others. I am doing things I have never thought I could, results I thought I would never see. Both in workouts and in life.

Tom, loved your AM philosophy about the great, good, and regular days. So true! I've had a mix of those lately! Good work with your legs yesterday, your "jail" workout yesterday (ha!), and today's shoulder torture. Oh, your poor DH being pregnant in 100+ degree weather. Who cares if it was 3 decades ago, that's just an awful memory. Have a great weekend and enjoy some lager.

Justine, I just have visions of you working out for like 2 hours. Is that how long these things are taking??? You're still killing it, keep it up. Are you still off the wine?

Karen, you show those neighbors just how crazy you are!!! I think you're totally awesome, bad a$$ crazy. You rock the world, woman. Keep it up. Are you still doing IF? I think of you every time I read an IF article.

Roz, HI!

Lib, hope your son is on the mend. Get in some good bike riding this weekend while the weather is good.

I've kinda been on the same page as Lib, throwing in a couple of XTrain workouts this week (Burn Sets). Also did some boxing. I've pulled my hip flexor, something I do from time to time, so I've been laying off the leg workouts...Tom, it's KILLING me. I know you dread leg day but I love to hate them and I miss them when I don't get them. :)

TGIF friends!

Hi all,

Lisa, I was off the wine for 12 weeks during my cut, but I'm back on it now, although only 1 evening a week, and just a couple. As to the workout length, they are almost 2 hours, including warm up. I know I'm fortunate to have the time.

Lib, Lisa, XTrain is just about my favourite series of all time (not just Cathe, but from anyone). At the moment, though I'm loving doing only weights. Hopefully I'm not ruining my cardiovascular health.....

Karen, I like the sound of your pull up / curl session. Are you planning on an 'organised' cut, or just reducing food in an ad hoc sort of way?

Tom, beer and a frozen lake don't sound like a safe combo! Stick to shoulder workouts....

Total body type thing for me today (squats, deads, curls, triceps and calves lots and lots of sets). Deload starts tomorrow.....yeah!

Hey All! I did shake up arms a little today. Instead of supersets, I did 3 tri and 3 bi, bumping up the weight each set. I used 35s, 40s and 45s for all but skullcrushers and I used 35s, 45s, and 55s on those. I did skullcrushers 3x10/dumbbell curls 3x10, tri pushdowns 3x10/hammer curls 3x10, kickbacks x 20 x15 x12/ conc curls x10, x10, x5 (elbows flipped me off!), bicep isos x 25 and burnout dumbbell curls, dropped to 25s x15, diamond pushups, x30 x20 and 2 x 20 cable crunches. These were the heaviest I have gone on curls in a long time. I was going to do light ez bar curls instead of dumbbell curls as a finisher but for some reason I still can't do these! I always loved barbell curls, but still not includable yet! On the good news side, the dumbbell curls were fine except the last set on conc curls, was a protest there! Lisa, I WISH I had a legit excuse to miss leg day...but alas, just feeble will power!!! Enjoy the weekend lifters!

Hi all,

Lisa, I was off the wine for 12 weeks during my cut, but I'm back on it now, although only 1 evening a week, and just a couple. As to the workout length, they are almost 2 hours, including warm up. I know I'm fortunate to have the time.

Lib, Lisa, XTrain is just about my favourite series of all time (not just Cathe, but from anyone). At the moment, though I'm loving doing only weights. Hopefully I'm not ruining my cardiovascular health.....

Karen, I like the sound of your pull up / curl session. Are you planning on an 'organised' cut, or just reducing food in an ad hoc sort of way?

Tom, beer and a frozen lake don't sound like a safe combo! Stick to shoulder workouts....

Total body type thing for me today (squats, deads, curls, triceps and calves lots and lots of sets). Deload starts tomorrow.....yeah!
Justine, 2 HOURS?? I would CROAK!! WOW! I spent a little over an hour and was having a real "pity party"....but you ruined that!!! Admire the stamina and dedication!!!

Justine, I agree with Tom. Two Hours? I would love to give it a go. Have to retire first. Today was legs. Squats, DL, walking lunges, back lunges from a 12 inch step, and KB swings. Circuit style, so it was very metabolic. But, a great workout.
Tom, great arm work, and I agree with Justine now, beer and a frozen lake, not so much!
Good work, Lib and Lisa. X Train, one of my favorites.
You're definitely due for a deload, Justine.
Have a great week-end friends!
Oops, forgot to answer your question Justine. I have read RP. Looks good, I will have to buy the templates, they will make it so much easier. So I am thinking about trying it out. What were your thoughts?

Great work, everyone!

Tom, you keep taking baby steps with those wonky elbows. You'll get there!

Justine, I hope you have time for a daily nap as well. Working out to napping is a 2:1 ratio in my book. I usually workout for about an hour and always crave a 30 min nap (not like I get it, but that's because I have needy minors begging for my attention). ;) Do you take a midday siesta to compensate for the 2 hours?

Karen, keep up the good work.

Lib, Roz, HI!

Today I did Scrambled Cardio + Weights Live (6/9/16). Justine, you would LOVE this one. Athletic drills and lots of metabolic stuff. So So So fun!

Hi Commando friends!
Using these two seconds to poop in and say hi. Still working out, Meso 3 Week 2 of the RP physique templates. Justine, Meso 3 is a nice change, most workouts clock in around an hour. I did one of my Meso 2 Week 4 workouts in a gym while visiting family and a trainer came up to me and said, excuse me, HOW MUCH VOLUME do you normally do?!? LOL
Enjoy the deload and hold onto your hat for Meso 2.
Lisa, you take care of that hip flexor! Sending hugs and high fives!
Karen, love the sound of that workout! Looking forward to deets on your cut. :)
Lib, so impressed! You kick butt!
Tom, keep killing it!
Back when I can. Take care!
Roz

Hi Commandos! This was a cardio/ab/leg day, nothing heavy just "activity! I did ride 4 miles (usually I do 1 mile as a warm up) as my "Lisa Appeasement"! I used to ride 5 miles prior to my weight stuff, but that was a long time ago and 4 miles seemed like a lot today! Several years ago, I would ride 15- 18 miles on a Saturday, but that would be fatal now! I did 1x50 crunches, 6 minutes planks, 1x20 gob squats (50# kb) 1x20 kb swings (50#), and 12 side bends each side with a 50# kb. I had a phone call from my brother and didn't make it back down for anything else. Roz, when trainers are in awe, that's a pretty good sign you "got it going on"!! Hoping the weekend was great for everyone!

Roz, meso 2 is one more set of everything than meso 1, right? And the weights go up at the same rate? I'm just trying to organise my meso 2 moves. I haven't felt sore or anything on meso 1- I just think 7 sets of curls can get a little tedious! Funnily enough, I only dislike lots of volume for the easier moves. During a squat, I'm so focussed on all the pointers I find them interesting. Calf raises, though....
Anyway, meso 3 sounds like a great change up. Cathe's speed-lifting will have prepared you for it well.
I'm getting the new templates / cookbook, by the way, as they are higher protein, less intra workout shake orientated.

Tom, I need to get my sister to call at just the moment I'm getting tired! Your abs workout sound tough.

Deload took 25 minutes today, so I added on some test moves. Basically I was trying to see what exercises I could replicate with my cable pulley. Turns out with it set to the lower attachment, and with the addition of some straps, I can use it for leg curls, and leg presses. It's all a bit Heath Robinson, but the engineer in me loves doing that sort of thing!

Lisa, I wish I could nap during the day! I'm sure I'd be a much nicer person for it! That Cathe does sound good. I need to try to do a bit of circuit / metabolic stuff during this deload.

I'm off to my book club now, to finish off what's been a very busy weekend. Hope everyone's had a good'un!

Good grief! Today was chest, shoulders and triceps. Let me be the first to announce, that it was pathetic. Towards the end of this humiliation, even the dogs were laughing at me. They were trying to console me, as I was lying on the floor, embarrassed that I took part in this. I had a feeling it wasn't going to happen today. But, went into the workout room sure that I could pull it off. The walk of shame out of this room, will be the last straw. Here's to tomorrow. Have a great Monday everyone! Ouch.
Maybe I will just call today a deload day. Anything is possible.

Last edited:
Karen, we have all had those days but we know you won't be down for long! (laughing dogs cracked me up!) The good news is that it doesn't sound like it was in your outside area and therefore out of sight of humans!!! I think I got some of Karen's mojo ( sorry for stealing it) and had a really good chest w/o. I worked up to 215 x 3 and then did 2 shorter rom reps at 225 on flat bench!! That I think was a first!! Then I was able to do 185 x 8 on the way down, again I think, another first!! I did 12 working sets of flat and 3 sets of incline, finishing with 1 set of pushups. I was fried, but really happy with my strength improvement. Monday again and off to jail. One of the dentist left for grad school, so not sure how much I will need to work to help out..guess I will find out! Have a great week Commandos!!

Sorry been MIA again. Woke up the other day so weak, I could barely roll over. Needless to say, it was a curled up in bed, reading, no exercise day. I was quite a bit better yesterday, but still didn't trust myself to workout. So decided to skip the cardio this week, and do the chest, back, and shoulders today. Definitely had to go quite a bit lighter today, but so glad I did it.....and not cardio. Tomorrow is rea st day. Today is end of week four!!! It also means a moth of my Sumer break is down :(

I did find several book I quite enjoyed that were not text books!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.