Learning how to run

Road2ANewMe

Cathlete
I am wanting to learn how to run. I am thinking of doing the couch to 5k program...what do you think? Also, since I am just learning how to run, would cardio coach be good for me? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated!

Thanks!
jessica

I don't mean this to sound strange, but why do you think you don't know how to run? I'm not sure how you're describing "running". For me, it's just putting one foot in front of the other and repeating that as long as I can. Seriously! My ID tag says "keep going". ;)

I'm not familiar with the couch to 5k program, but if it has you going in increments and allows you time to recover from each run, it should be okay. Cardio coach is for treadmill users who want to increase their speed and/or endurance. He will coach you through segments of time to speed up, increase the incline, etc. I'd start off being able to run the 5k on your own before adding in Cardio Coach, but that's just my .02. Good luck and have fun out there!!!

This post is from one non-runner to another. LOL. I tell everyone "I'm not a runner," but through reading this forum and hearing everyone rave about how running slims out thighs I added running into my w/o rotation about a month and a half ago. So while I still consider myself not much of a runner, I'm getting better ... (and got the slimmer thighs to prove it!) haha.

For me, I didn't follow any kind of program like u describe with the couch to 5K. I just got outside and ran. The very first day I only ran about 5 blocks and then I had to walk. Then when I got up enough energy I would run again. Repeated that for about a half an hour. Then a few days later, I did it all over again. I've been running 2-3 times a week now for, like I said, about a month and a half ... and now I'm up to running a 5K. I'm not fast, mind you, still pretty slow, but I can finish an entire 5K, run the entire thing, and for a "non-runner" that makes me feel pretty proud of myself. When I'm running I just tell myself that the only way I can stop is if (A) I have a side ache that hurts really bad and won't go away or if (B) I feel like I'm going to barf. haha. Sounds like I'm torturing myself, haha, but when I'm in the right mindset (as cathe would say) it helps me keep my ass in line so I can finish the run. Believe me, some days it seems a lot easier to walk. Anyway, I hope you find this encouraging as you embark on your own running adventure. It is possible to become a runner, I firmly believe this. Oh and one other word of advice: take it slow. Don't do too much too fast and don't start out running 5 days a week. Even now I only run 2-3 times a week in addition to aerobics and weight lifting. I find it's a little easier on my 28-year old knees! (not sure if I helped ... probably rambled on too much) LOL

One other tidbit ... if you download Google Earth you can map out your runs, how far you're going, with the ruler tool. Very helpful for me since I run on the bike path near my house.

Hi Jessica,

I started running last October. I got myself a neat little gadget called the Gymboss. It's a little interval timer. I would run for a minute and a half and walk for 1 minute. It worked great. As you get better at running you can increase the run time and decrease the walk time.

The thing with running is that you just have to do it. Some days are easier than others but you just stick with it. I'm a pear and running has really slimmed down my legs plus I find it an incredible challenge. I have since done 5-5k's, 1-8k and 1-10k. I love the feeling you get when you cross the finish line. I'm not the fastest runner but I'm still having fun out there. It's all about pushing yourself and not giving up.

You can check out the gymboss at www.gymboss.com.

Good Luck!

I just started running. I've tried in the past but could never get into it. I hated it. I think the only reason I'm getting into it now is because I have to do it (career change, long story). Now I run almost every morning. I usually only run 2-3 miles. I'm slow (which sucks because I need to get faster). The 3 things that help me are a heart rate monitor, http://www.mapmyrun.com and my MP3 player.

Running is 90% mental. You just have to get it into your head. Honestly, I'd rather be kick boxing. That being said, I think that using Cathe's cardio DVDs has gotten my heart into better condition so now can run without getting worn out or feeling like I'm going to have a heart attack.

I think Cardio Coach is a great motivator. You don't have to use a treadmill and you don't have to run the whole time. The whole thing with CC is perceived exertion and/or HR zones. If running puts you in your correct zone, run, otherwise walk in the correct zone. Coach Sean will talk you through it. As you get stronger, you'll find you're running when he says to be in the 3rd or 4th zones and running faster.

I use CC on the treadmill and outside. The first 3 volumes are short (around 35 min) and use intervals to push you to get better.

I think CC would be a great motivator for a beginning runner. I didn't "discover" CC until after my first 5k, but I think it would have been awesome to start with CC. And with Coach Sean's prices right now, you can get 3 downloads for $21.

ETA: I suggest reading some of the articles over at Runner's World, especially the ones on form. Since you're just learning, you might as well learn and practice good form now. They helped me a lot and I feel like I'm more efficient and have less aches and pains because I practice good form.

April

Last edited:
Couch to 5K is a really great program to start with.
Cardio Coach is not really designed for a beginning runner, but you might be able to adapt his levels to your abilities.
If you really want to start running, I highly recommend going to running specialty store and having someone evaluate your foot and running style. Yes, the job of the sales people is to sell you shoes, but getting the right fit will make your running enjoyable and getting the wrong shoe could dump you into an "I hate running" attitude really quickly.
I believe in the power of shoes!

What is the driving force behind you wanting to get into running? The reason I ask is that many feel compelled to run because everyone else is doing it, not because they truly want to. I can tell you that personally, I hate running. It bangs the hell out of my knees, I end up with pains in my side that relentless, and the whole time I think "Gee, I'd rather be cleaning toilets." I can tell you that I seriously enjoy Cardio Coach on the elliptical (and cleaning toilets never enters my mind ;)). If you want to run and find that you enjoy it, you will get some great advice here. If you find you hate running you will find many other challenging cardio workouts.

I am "not a runner", too. I started maybe 2 months ago trying to do it on my own, and it just sucked. I lacked the motivation and mental will power. I then ran over to Cardio Coach and got #5 to run with. That kicked my butt in gear. There are some days I still don't like it, but for the most part, with Sean whispering in my ear, I like it. Of course, while I'm running along it can be tough, but when I finish it is a huge sense of accomplishment, which makes me want to do it again. One of the other posters mentioned it is 90% mental, and that is so true. Your head has to tell your legs to keep it movin' even if they are tired. My non-runner self is starting to become a runner. You can do it!!

Oh, but make sure you wear running shoes, no cross trainers - learned that a year or so ago when I first tried the running thing - not comfy!! I also used to "slap" the front of my foot down on the pavement, ended up with very sore shins that way - I don't recommend it.

Nan

I agree with all the other posts. "Just do it" as the Nike ad says. I also agree w/ Beavs. I ran for 10 years until I just couldn't stand it any more. I took a break from it for 14 years and now I'm back to running again. The desire is there, but if I get to the point where I start dreading it again, I'll quit. There are lots of Cathe workouts that are just as intense as a good run.

I also agree that a good pair of running shoes can make or break ya. When I started out again I was running in my cross trainers and was wondering why my feet and knees hurt so much. The running shoes made a difference!

I've never been a runner. But with Cardio Coach and iTreads it helped me get my mind right where I knew I could do it, even if I had to walk during the recovery times. Then one day I noticed I didn't get winded as bad. The first 5-10 min is still hard for me to regulate my breath and I dread them but after that I get in the zone and I even completed an entire 30 min of running at about 5 mph. You just have to set little goals and strive to meet them. You can do it. After I started running I then totally understood the endorphin high and am addicted now. Good luck to you, you can do anything you set your mind to.

I am relatively new to the running thing, and CC has been fantastic. I can walk during the recovery phases, and then run during the intervals, which are short spans that help me build up running endurance. I hope to be able to run the entire workout, but for now this is a great way for me to accomplish what I wanted. Coach Sean is a great motivator and the workout times fly by for me.

There are techniques to running beyond "just do it" to move more efficiently and reduce stress to joints. Sometimes an adjustment to technique can make running an enjoyable experience as opposed to something to just get through.

Try Googling Chi Running or the POSE Method, or even barefoot running for that matter.

I am wanting to learn to run because i am aiming to run a 5k in march. That gives me plenty of time to train. I needed a goal, and I felt like this was attainable. I wanted a goal that did not revolve around the scale or my jean size. I need help in the thigh area too, so if that toned up it would be a bonus:)

I am going to run on the treadmill at the gym, so cardio coach or the couch to 5k is something that i can use. I will check out all the websites you gave me about form...thank you!!

Any other words of wisdom?

Make sure to run outside sometimes. It's a different experience to run outdoors without the benefit of the treadmill control. :)

April

You will probably be more motivated if you plan on a more immediate event. Find a 5k that is 6-8 weeks from now and train for that. If you have to walk half of the distance, that is ok! No one at the race will look down their noses. That will give you a mental push to do your best in training as well as making the whole race experience less intimidating in March. Races are a reward for most runners, not really an ultimate goal.

I second the recommendation for Chi Running. I had to 'learn' how to run because my form was so off I was injuring myself. I think it's not natural for some of us and a book like Chi Running (I've heard good things about barefoot running too) can help if you are having nagging injuries/aches/pains from running.

And get good running shoes - go to a store that knows how to check your form and fit you with the right shoe.

I agree too about taking it slow and doing walk/run intervals at first.

I've been runnning steadily since May and I now LOVE it, but before that I would have said I was not a runner, hated it. It takes time.

Good luck!

I love how I feel after a run! With running I always feel horrible if I don't do it, sometimes even when I start off, but I always feel great after. You have to work yourself up to it. I've been running since 1998. I don't run a lot but I try to run at least 10-12 miles a week. One of the best tips I read once, was to relax. I know it sounds like strange advice but it really works. Try not to overthink it. If you don't own an ipod get one and download really fun upbeat music that makes you want to dance. I can never go running without mine. Get a pair of really good running shoes. Working out with any of Cathe's DVD's will only help get you running better, faster, and longer. Most importantly, just have fun.

practice makes perfect.when i started swimming a swim coach could tell i was a beginner but after doing it quite a few times i really got the hang of it. when i started i would realize what i needed to work on to get better.

laura

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.