Lean muscle vs bulky

This is what I was worried about when I ordered STS, but in the FAQ it said it won't make you bulky. I have found that when I stopped using weights with my lower body, I lost weight and leaned out. Since STS is heavy lifting so you think it will be bad for those of us who don't want to bulk the lower body?

I've also ordered STS, and I think I'm probably going to skip the cycle with the really heavy weight/low reps. I'm excited for the lower body segment with the plyometrics, and also for the new exercises throughout the series. I'll let my husband use the heavy weight cycle.}(

I doubt I'll follow the program exactly, as I never really have liked working body part splits, and my body just doesn't respond as well. I'd much rather work the whole body at one time.

Another option would be to just use lighter weights than recommended for the lower body, or other body parts that we don't want to see get bulky.

x( As I'm reading this I'm so frustrated because I have to think about yet another way to train. I wish that there was one method to lean out, get definition, etc. For you, was it just a matter of trail and error? I here it all the time from Cathe on this forum that you have to try different methods to see what works best for your body but geesh, I've been working out -seriously- for almost two years and I still don't know what works best for me. But, then again, I didn't begin focusing on weight training until about 9 months ago. Still, it feels overwhelming just thinking about how I can get the best results.

I know how you feel - it can be sooo frustrating. It was kind of trial and error for me for awhile. I've always known that I need to do quite a bit of cardio to stay lean. I've found that I can do it on separate days from lifting, or just do some cardio either before or after lifting, and it seems to work for me.

A couple of things I can say for sure work are to do interval-based cardio whenever possible. It's the quickest way to burn fat through cardio. Also, working with kettlebells not only works your muscles, but it really works your cardiovascular system as well. I've also found that doing exercises which use the whole body work better for fat loss than exercises that only work one muscle group. For example, squats, pushups, deadlifts, and pullups or barbell rows work a lot more muscle groups than leg extension, hamstring curls, bicep curls and tricep kickbacks!

And remember, the one thing that ultimately decides how lean you get is your diet. When I was in charge of a weight loss contest at work last year, I had the participants log their calories into an online database (calorie-countplus.com). In order to help them with it, I started logging my own calories. I was horrified at how much more I ate than I thought I ate. I figured I ate about 1200 calories per day. Wrong!!! I ate between 1700-2000!! I then figured out how many calories I needed for the weight I wanted to be, and started logging everything I put in my mouth. This made the biggest difference of all. I still log everything I eat - it keeps me aware of what I'm eating.

This has been such a great thread! I've been doing heavy lifting for awhile, so I'm trying out four weeks of endurance lifting (along with some kettlebell work) to see what happens.

Thanks for all the great ideas, everyone!:)

In response to your suggestion of interval-based cardio and exercises which work the whole body, I have a question. Do you think something like Jillian Michael's 30 day Shred would fit this description? I believe she does a lot of exercises that work the whole body as opposed to one muscle group at at time (someone correct me if I'm wrong please). Does 30 day Shred fit this description?

Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred would definitely fit the category of whole body workouts. I have her earlier workouts, and they're good.

Hello Ladies,

great conversation! I am new to the forum but very familar with Cathe. I have been struggling with a weight gain since turning 40 and have been increasing my weight training.. increasing my cardio to intervals. And still no fat loss.

I have been debating increasing the dumbells. I currently use 12.5 pounds for the usual training. But NOW I am thinking I am getting big when I want to be long and lean. This is not a NEW thought to me. I was actually at my leanest and lightest weight while pregnant and post baby nursing.

But I have to say during pregnancy I was not allowed to exercise, AT ALL! Not even a walk until week 24. So I am sure I lost muscle weight but aslo fat. And after baby no time to work out every day.

So I debate to myself, work out harder, heavier or just throw in the towel?? Kidding.. cant do that totally. But I am thinking I shall join your cocktail and complete a whole body and stick to cardio. I too have just started Jillians workout.

What DVDs of Cathe's would you recommend?

Thanks,
Kathy G

What kettlebell workouts did you get. I saw the Art of Strength ones, but they were 50 bucks each, not including the kettlebells. I am sooooo tempted try these. Anyone have any thoughts. Thanks.

I've gained weight into my 40's also. I'm either mountainbiking or roadbiking during the majority of the year, and then there are the winter sports of xc skiing and snowshoeing, but still a stubborn weight gain of 8 to 10 pounds persists around my stomach and waist. I know that diet is a large part of it, but no one is going to convince me that its as easy as it was 15 years ago to lose weight. Even after giving birth to 10-pound babies, I gained an enormous amount of weight (85 pounds with my first), I lost all of it in less then a year. The same with my second child. So why is it so hard to lose 10 pounds now?

Kathy, the full body workouts that I have been using for about 7 weeks now are Muscle Endurance, Muscle Max, and Power Hour. I've also got Pyramids and Slow & Heavy. I've just started this part of lifting weights (Cathe) and I do see a definite change in my body. I'm excited about that, because it is working. I suppose the very last thing I will be giving up is my cherished glass of wine in the evening. :(

HELLO
Thanks for the input. Of the DVDs you mention. Which are total body?
Or are all? I suppose I could look thru the website store and do my own research, but like everything.. i want it quick ! HA

Thanks again

Kathy

Full body:

Muscle Endurance
Muscle Max
Power Hour
Super Sets & Push Pull
There is a full body bonus on Pyramids

I have the Art of Strength Newport workout, and while it was a little pricey ($39.95 from their website), it was well worth it. I also have Extreme Kettlebell with Keith Weber, and a couple of Sarah Lurie dvd's (one came with my GoFit kettlebell). I also love the Weber dvd. The Lurie workouts are not very intense, and in the circuit workout I bought, after every exercise she takes a 30 minute break. I add my own stuff (burpees, box jumps, squats...) during the breaks to make it more of a workout.

I would highly recommend the Art of Strength dvds. Also, if you check the web there are many sites where you can get workouts put together by various people. Try irontamer.com, or ironcore.com, and even the Crossfit sites have kettlebell workouts. The irontamer site actually offers a free download for a booklet called 101 Kettlebell Workouts, and it's awesome.

Hope this helps!

Hi Kathy,

For total body Cathe workouts, I would first recommend Drill Max, High Step Challenge, and Boot Camp. All of these include cardio with the weight training, which I've found helps lean me out far better and more quickly than splitting my weights and cardio into separate days.

As far as increasing the weight of the dumbbells you are using, I would say go ahead. 12.5 is pretty light, so I don't think that weight is causing you to bulk up. There is a fine line between lifting heavy enough to tax your muscles and start the fat burning process, and lifting too heavy and becoming too bulky. Also, it depends on which body parts you're working and the exercises as to how heavy you want to go. For me, I've found that moderate weights, 12-15 reps, and incorporating plyometrics has made a huge difference in my lower body.

One final thought, 80% of what your body looks like is due to what and how much you eat. For stubborn fat loss, you will have to eat ultra clean and be aware of everything you put in your mouth. I honestly don't believe that our age prevents us from losing weight. I'm 47, and my body looks better than it every has. I didn't even start worrying about it until I was about 43, so trust me - it's not your age!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.