Lean Legs vs. Great Glutes???

twinkletoes129

Cathlete
I would love to get one or the other of these dvd's to start. Please don't enable me to get both! Haha! :p So all you Catheletes out there who have both:

1. PLEASE let me know the differences between the two, it's so hard to tell even with the previews? :eek:
2. Which one would be more effective for overall leg conditioning?
3. Which one has more plyo or jumping moves in it?
4. Which one works out the legs and glutes more?
5. Which one do you find most effective over all (did I repeat #2? lol! :D)?
6. Which one feels harder, i.e., more of a workout?
7. Do you still get the legs worked out in the Great Glutes dvd or is it really super glute focused?
8. Which one do you love more and why? If you love them both the same, why?

Thanks for your help, all!

Hello,

I like your thread. Good question.

At this point I can not answer to each of your nicely listed bullet points. These two dvds are new and I do refrain myself from making reviews without attempting the workout at least three times;):D

Hope you find you answer from lovely cathletes on here;)

Kind Regards,

Last edited:
I've done them both several times. My favorite is Great Glutes. I think it is a much more challenging workout and that it is a full lower body workout whereas Lean Legs and Abs focuses on quads and outer thighs. There is no impact in Great Glutes and there is one move I think in Lean Legs and Abs that has jump lunges. Great Glutes does hit the glutes and hamstrings pretty hard, but it also hits the entire leg. I like Lean legs and Abs, but I LOVE Great Glutes.

Did I answer all of your questions? And the reason I love GG more is IMHO, it is a more challenging, more fun, more well rounded workout.

Last edited:
I totally agree with all Jengollf said, having done both several times. The only thing I would add is that Legs&Abs uses shoulders more. For me this means that I can't go too heavy with the weights, whereas with Glutes, I go to about 2x the weight Cathe and the crew use. Of course, you may have awesome shoulder muscles and what I've just said may be irrelevant!
Justine

Let me caveat this by stating that I love both workouts and each are effective.

Admittedly, I've done Lean Legs & Abs more than Great Glutes, but I've noticed increased definition in the musculature in my thighs from doing LLA w/the barre bonus. They are starting to look almost as defined as Amanda's. Almost. Since I'm a few months shy of turning 51, that's pretty good proof that LLA delivers. It is that effective. Call me greedy, but I'd love to see Cathe do "Part 2s" of these those gems sometime in the future.

I need to start doing GG in its entirety more. I LOVE GG's chair bonus and do that segment once a week.

1. PLEASE let me know the differences between the two, it's so hard to tell even with the previews?
2. Which one would be more effective for overall leg conditioning?
3. Which one has more plyo or jumping moves in it?
4. Which one works out the legs and glutes more?
5. Which one do you find most effective over all (did I repeat #2? lol! )?
6. Which one feels harder, i.e., more of a workout?
7. Do you still get the legs worked out in the Great Glutes dvd or is it really super glute focused?
8. Which one do you love more and why? If you love them both the same, why?

1. LLA - about 15 minutes of quad work with weights alternating with short leg plyo moves...this portion gets the sweat starting, then there is a quad section using a chair (one exercise) and firewalker skaters, then you hit the floor for inner thigh and quad band work, if you add in the barre, that is an extra 12 minutes doing squats and quad/outer thigh raises (different variations). The ab work is really good...no dread, some new moves)
GG - about 15 minutes of hamstring/glute work with weights alternating with plyo leg moves...once again, getting the sweat going. then there is a side/back/crossback lunge section with the gliders, then there is the floor work on the stability ball (glutes/hams on fire) and then followed up with pizza presses on the floor. Bonus works the calfs...and the will be burning.

2. both work the entire leg in some aspect, however, each focus more on the specific area that it was designed for. However, I do think Great Glutes gets the legs a little bit better.

3. About the same amount of jumping in both (first section in each)

4. LIke I said, I think GG works glutes well, but it also targets quads and outer/inner thigh a bit as well. The hamstring roll ins on the ball are effective.

5. I think both of them are effective for what they were designed for, however, you probably get more leg work in Glutes and more variations.

6. Great Glutes...however, I make them both a little bit harder by bumping up the weight that Cathe uses and I wear a weighted vest (so there are always ways to make a workout harder).

7. all parts of the legs, but more focus on glutes/hamstrings

8. Great Glutes..I just love the flow, variation, new moves, etc...

Not to enable, but I use these both once a week...so 2 leg workouts a week. I am sort of in a bulking type phase so I won't know if they are truly effective until I shed the weight that is slowly creeping on, lol.

I just assumed they were meant to be used as a pair and have been using them each once a week. I'm liking the results I'm seeing so far (under the added Halloween fluff anyway). If it is possible to buy both, that's what I recommend. If only one, then I'd say Great Glutes. It definitely isn't in the same league as Gym Style Legs and some others if you just want one complete and tough leg workout. I'm loving the zero dread factor with these and seeing results so I don't mean to put them down!

Backside Buns It Is!!

Thank you nckfitheart2009, jengollf, Justine, Swimmer, Jenn (wow Jenn! thank you for all that detailed information and your great assessments), bpurcell and whoever else may still chime in, for such great answers! With all that great information you've helped me make my decision for Great Glutes! Yippee!! And yes, bpurcell, they're most likely meant to be used together (it's almost a crime to go without! ;)) but if I'm only going to get one for now Great Glutes seems like the overall burner! Besides I really do find the sliding discs and stability ball work SO effective and fun too. And besides who doesn't want some smokin' perky indented backside buns!! :p

Thank you nckfitheart2009, jengollf, Justine, Swimmer, Jenn (wow Jenn! thank you for all that detailed information and your great assessments), bpurcell and whoever else may still chime in, for such great answers! With all that great information you've helped me make my decision for Great Glutes! Yippee!! And yes, bpurcell, they're most likely meant to be used together (it's almost a crime to go without! ;)) but if I'm only going to get one for now Great Glutes seems like the overall burner! Besides I really do find the sliding discs and stability ball work SO effective and fun too. And besides who doesn't want some smokin' perky indented backside buns!! :p

Great choice, enjoy...especially the hamstring burn from the stability ball roll-ins, lol!!!:eek:

I finally did the entire Great Glutes workout this morning, and I love it as much as Lean Legs & Abs. Well, except for that hydrant/pizza press segment (haha!). I did GG after Cardio Leg Blast --- another favorite of mine --- and I could really feel it. As I think I mentioned before, I really love those low lunges, both weighted and body weight. The pace is perfect, and you can really focus on making sure the right muscles are firing!

Both of these workouts are masterpieces.

Hey Swimmer! Glad you revisted GG in it's entirety and now love it as much as LLA. lol! ... By the way, I just did Cardio Leg Blast today for the very first time and had a blast, no pun intended! I love the plyo's weights circuits. Especially when Cathe matches the cardio leg moves with the weight moves. It hits the thighs to exhaustion and really builds strength even though it's not heavy weight work. ... You are one powerful, strong like bull woman to be able to add GG after it. Wow! It's no misnomer when people call themselves "Cathletes" here! ;) Have you ever tried Lower Body Blast? Just discovered it and it's amazing! I think that's my new fav for heavier weight legs done Cathe style. I'm loving it even better then my go to Gym Style Legs and even Butts n Gutts.

TwinkleToes --I agree, Cardio Leg Blast is a fun challenge and I hope Cathe makes a follow up. Back when IMAX came out, I had to modify the power scissors, just like Hope. Now power scissors are my favorite move and when I pull out IMAX, I no longer have to modify. Now you need to follow up Cardio Leg Blast w/Great Glutes!
I have Lower Leg Blast and like that one, too. Have to admit that I'm surprised how much I enjoy and find effective these lighter weight workouts w/plyo moves. Previously, I preferred heavy weight leg workouts like STS Squat Rack, Pyramid Lower, Slow Heavy.
Butts and Guts is probably the toughest leg workout for me. Those lunges into plies kill me, so I end up avoiding that particular DVD. I probably should make myself do it on a regular basis---maybe that can be a goal for 2014?

Hey Swimmer, you and me both. I love the heavier weight leg workouts and Gym Styles, where I load a barbell for the squats and plie squats instead, and I'll go to the gym to use the squat rack, and leg extension machine, etc, fits the bill for me. I should try the Pyramid Lower and Slow Heavy. I think I have them but haven't done them in eons. ... But I'm finding those lighter leg workouts by Cathe where she does lots of high reps, pulses and low ends along with those as you well know famous walking lunges into plies is KILLER! :eek: AND I'm noticing doing those types once a week (including the plyo/weighted legs one's and hopefully when I get LLA & GG ;)) really give me amazing and need I say surprising gains at the gym when I go heavy. I shall never underestimate the moderate, high rep, or plyo and leg weight work ever again! If I want to make headway on heavy, that's the way to go. Truly they both work synergistically together. Totally amazing!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.