LCL strengthening exercises?

khuynh

Cathlete
Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone could recommend any strengthening exercises for my LCL. It's a ligament that runs on the outside of the knee that stabilizes it. Mines weak and effecting my activities from time to time with a sprain.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Keta. :D

[link:home.attbi.com/~marwrihu/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html|Home Page]

[link:mykbtfit.net/|KBT Forum]

Keta,

I had a similar problem with my outer knee muscle back in college when I played tennis. I had electro-shock therapy to stimulate the muscle and daily massages by the trainer (poor me). If these things are not readily available to you, other things he suggested to strengthen were side lying leg lifts with an ankle weight (at this point you are probably beyond a 2 or 3 pound ankle weight--try the body bar like in PS legs) as well as leg extensions to strengthen around the knee.

He encouraged stretching and I found this to be key to long term healing... Rest the ankle of your injured leg (top leg) on the thigh just above your other knee (bottom leg). Hold onto your bottom leg by placing your hands around and underneath your bottom leg thigh. Pull gently. You should feel the stretch on the outside of your top leg.

Good luck.
Linda

The lateral ligament? My ex tore his and didn't want to have surgery and they recommended lots of quad work, squats, leg extensions, etc. to strengthen the quads. He still has problems with lateral movements but so far he has avoided surgery.

Colleen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.