Late night workouts - myth or fact?

MadnNatsmom

Cathlete
I read in various places that exercising too close to bedtime would cause disruptions in sleep or even hinder sleep.

I've been exercising about 2 hours prior to bedtime for the past 3 nights and I've slept very soundly.

Anyone know what the deal is?

Hi .. i am no expert.. but i have worked out late a few times and found when i went to bed after a shower or long bath.. i could easily drift in to sleep.. but yes i did sleep deep .. and i felt great when i woke up the next morning because i had done something for myself the night before.. anyway.. if it doesn't bother u now.. keep on .. see what happens.. hope this helps

kandey
p.s. i can get to sleep deep and fast if its been a weight workout that i did.. i am always ready to fall into bed after one of those at night

I think the deal is you've bumped up against another gross exaggeration and generalization.

I find that if I have a good tub-thumping evening workout it may take me a little longer to get to sleep, but then I sleep good, deep and clean. Others have different experiences, and vive la difference!

We all have to take popular dicta about fitness do's and don'ts with a grain of salt (or salt-substitute)!

Annette

I always work out late. I start between 6:30 and 8 pm, and am often done after 9 pm. I take a shower, read for awhile, and go to sleep no problem. I guess it just depends on the person. There is no way in hell I will ever work out before noon! I just can't do it.

mogambo, i am with you. i once made a new years resolution towork out in the morning so i could make sure to get it in and all it did was make me want to puke!! my hat's off when i hear people say they do power hour at 4:45AM?!?!?

Maybe because it's because I'm so used to working out in the mornings...I'm not sure...but when I work out in the evenings I not only have problems getting to sleep, but it's a very restless sleep.

-Deborah

I think it takes some people longer for the adreneline to slow down after a workout, which would probably keep you awake. I always work out at night, sometimes finishing up after 10:00, and most of the time I go to bed feeling ready for sleep, but mostly feeling very content. That's the BEST feeling and you only get it from a good workout, have you noticed that? Everybody's body is different and you need to do your workout at the time of day that works best for you. Personally, I think I do best when I do my exercise at the same time everyday. Not some days in the a.m. and somedays in the p.m. I think maybe your body gets used to the routine. Mine is used to doing it at night!!!!

I exercise at night too - starting around 10 pm! I usually take a little short nap prior... to get re-juvenated. I don't think it interrupted my sleep at all.

People used to tell me not to exercise at night... for various reasons. My answer to that is -- whatever works for you. It's better to exercise at night (if it's the only choice) than not at all!

Haslina

I think it depends on the person. I'm a night person and I generally start my workouts at 5:00-6:30 PM. I usually stay up anywhere from 30-90 minutes later than if I took a rest day.

And when I do Cathe's tapes I'm so tired that I sleep like a baby!

Individual thing

I've read both opinions. For me, it's no big deal- unless I do it at 11pm! However, I did start to notice that when I take a very intense 7:30-8:30 spin class, I have trouble falling asleep.

I've also read that taking a hot bath before bed can hinder the falling asleep process since the hot temp wakes up your body (or something). Since most of us find a bath relaxing, I think it's an individual thing.

I exercise at night and sleep like a baby also. It must depend on the individual.

One reason I like p.m. exercise is that it keeps me out of the kitchen and then kills my appetite for late-night noshing. A very Good Thing indeed..... :-cool

I am a morning exerciser. I get up 4:30 a.m. The other day I missed the morning so I did it after work. Oh, boy. I had so much energy I couldn't sleep at all, may be just several hours.
I will never do that again.

I usually do morning workouts, sometimes adding yoga type workout in the afternoon. Yesterday I did a regular am workout consisting of weights/cardio for 1 hour. Then at 8pm I did 30 min step Intervals (CTX) and extra stretching from various tapes. I felt so good and I have to say it was the best sleep I've had in months. I went to bed at 12 midnight so there was enough time for me to recover without going right to bed.
Faythe

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.