late eating

judejude

Cathlete
I keep hearing that it's not good to eat 3-4 hours before you go to bed. I have noticed that on weeks when I'm really busy & can't eat after a certain time, my stomach gets much flatter & I do lose weight - even if I haven't had time to exercise that week. I'm not the cleanest eater so it doesn't seem to matter what I've eaten, as long as it's not one of my 'hogs gone wild' days :)
Then when I get back to the weeks where my normal dinner would be about 2 hours before I sleep, my stomach gets pooched out again and the 3 or 4 pounds comes back! Since I get home from work @8 & workout till 9, I really can't eat any earlier so:

My question is :

Is it really better not to eat 3-4 hours before sleep or is it ok if you eat right - like just broccoli or some other vegetable.

I'm really interested in knowing everyone's opinion on this.

Thanks.:)

I don't really worry about it because it's calories, not time of day, that causes weight gain. I think the logic behind this is for nighttime nibblers, who eat in front of the telly. DH and I sometimes don't have dinner til 7:30 or so, if we are running around alot that day. I think it can help if you *are* a TV nibbler, but if not, I wouldn't burden myself with this "rule."

Sparrow

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

I agree - it's the total calories for the day that count, not when you eat them. I ALWAYS eat before I go to bed.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." Mark Twain ;-)

I have the same issue. But after reading BFFM, I cut out carbs at night and the problem went away. I do have a big salad or a big serving a veggies with a protien. I love carbs - I tried adding brown rice or a slice of whole wheat bread but as soon as I added that - I felt bigger the next morning and usually gain weight. I TRY to taper my carb intake througout the day and this is when I see results. I LOVE CARBS - My body doesn't!

jooge

Love your question as you are describing what happens to me too if I eat late in the evening...gain weight, etc. I have learned also to eat anything wheat, brown rice, etc. even earlier then the usual dinnertime...like maybe around 4pm. If I had to eat alittle later than usual because of time I can't control, I would only have a pm protein shake or just some kind of small portion of protein...nothing else. I really wouldn't eat anything at all 2 hours before bedtime though. The worst case for me would be to eat 3 hours before bed time...say 6 or 7. I always manage to screw myself up with extra weight if I eat too late....it is a given each and every time.

Charlotte~~

I think your body needs fuel at night especially if you aren't eating for a good 6-8 hours after you go to bed.

I follow BFL and eat right before bed and it hasn't stalled any progress.

Colleen

For me not eating carbs 3 hours before bed has helped tons. If I do need to eat, I'll have a slice or 2 of turkey or a hard boiled egg white.

I agree it's the calorie count for the day, but doing this made a significant change in my weight loss.

Kali

www.PictureTrail.com/kkali

Colleen..I'm following BFL too! How are you doing with it?
I lost 14 pounds so far, and it's been 6 weeks.
Janet

I have to eat before I go to bed or I will wake up in the middle of the night hungry. So I don't any lose sleep, I usually have a protein shake or something sufficient enough to hold me until the morning. It hasn't affected my waistline any, but everyone's metabolism is different.

Robin:9

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.