KK's March Rotation

Good morning everyone!

Yummy, sourdough pancakes. I used to love pancakes. Now not so much though. They actually get made at work? Wow, that sounds like fun.

Was busy yesterday getting ready for bunco. I didn't get out of court until 3:30, so I rushed the next three hours. I didn't get in my yoga like I wanted to...darn.

Not sure what I'm going to do today. I got the new P90s in by Tony Horton. I think I'l sneak some previews in at work and see if I want to tackle one of them today. Otherwise, Body Max sounds good since I didn't do it the other day.

Have great workouts everyone. Such a beautiful day here too! Yippee.

Hi Jeanette & Rhea & Jeanie & Natalie!:)

Yes, I think it's going to be CTX for me next -- then I'll start looking at these other workouts. Like I said, I really have liked Tracy in the FIRM workouts and it will be good to see what she's doing now. Your rotation sounds good, Jeanette -- I like PLB, too.

Sour dough panckaes -- makes my mouth water... But they are definitely a no-no for me, I'm afraid. Have started taking both potassium and a health food sea salt morning and evening with my water -- and I'm beginning to see a reduction in the water retention -- just starting -- it's not at all like I'd like it. Someone told me tha here in Flordia, salt and potassium daily are a must -- I guess they are.

Don't know what happened to me last night, but I couldn't sleep -- finally at 3:30 AM realized it just wasn't going to happen and so I got up and worked until 5AM -- almost always a guarantee to tire me out...:eek:

And it worked -- went to bed and slept in -- so it was Push/Pull only today for me -- no cardio.

Rhea, what are the Tony Horton workouts? I feel so out of the picture on what's out there, right now.

And Jeanette -- so glad you got to visit with frineds -- always nice -- and DH's progress, too! Very nice.

Well, have a super evening everyone -- and terrific workouts tomorrow!:7

Hi Karen, Rhea, Natalie & Jeanie:

Yep, we had the pancake breakfast. I came in at 6 (volunteer time, stupid me) instead of 8 and helped make them along with sausage, bacon, eggs, juice and coffee. We had a safety meeting at 8 a.m. for all the staff and ate during that time. It was a big success.

Rode bikes after work with a friend. It had started sprinkling but quit once we started riding. She's just getting back into the riding so we had to go pretty slow so not a workout for me, but I'm happy for the company and we had a good time.

Today's workout was High Step Challenge, which I haven't done for a while. Tonite is the Alison Kraus concert in Reno and dinner before the concert at the Hilton as we won't have much time after getting off work and driving over there. Should be a great time, but a late night for me. Good thing I'm on the 8 a.m. shift this week due to staff training/absences.

Karen, hope the extra potassium and salt are helping you. Wow, you've been in Florida for a long time! Is this something you do every year? How nice to get away, but don't think I could leave my DH, family and pets for that long. I'd miss them way too much.

Rhea, hope the bunco was fun. I've played it with couples before and had a great time. It's not a game where you have to even think, huh? Just count.

Must go now, great workouts to everyone.

Jeanette

Hi Jeanette! Hi Rhea! Hi Natalie & Jeanie!:)

Yes, I have been here longer than I anticipated. I don't usually come here evey year, but I do try to come here often for courses and for spiritual upliftment. Luckily my hubby will be coming here next week -- Thursday -- yea! And I'll be touring home in April. Whew! But I do miss him terribly and I miss my animals horribly and ask about them every day. It is hard, I must admit, in that aspect.

The pancake breakfast sounds oh, so yummy -- I'm glad it was a success.

Okay, so by the time you get this you should have gone to the Alison Kraus concert -- I'm on the edge of my seat to hear about it -- was it fun? How did she look? What did she sing?

And dinner at the Hilton before hand. How wonderful, Jeanette.

Workout wise it was a short workout from Power Max -- the first segment plus warm up and then one of Cathe's stretches. All in all it was about a 45 - 50 minute workout -- love those stretches.

Well, hope you had a great time, Jeanette, and hope you're doing well, Rhea -- having fun at work -- if it can be called "fun." And hope your workouts are terrific, everybody.

Have a super day.:7

Good morning Karen, Rhea, Natalie & Jeanie:

It was most of Step Jam for me (from the Cardio Classics). I'd never done this one before. It's a lighter intensity and a nice change.

Wish I could tell you the concert was good, but unfortunately when we went to pick up the tickets, there was a sign that said the show was POSTPONED! Major bummer, but we made the most of it and went to Macarone Grill for dinner (I had the salmon w/asparagus and nice chianti wine). That was very nice and then after a trip to Tower Records, we left back for Susanville. The roads were somewhat snowy but our driver never missed a lick. I got to bed around 11 p.m., earlier than the 1:00 a.m. I'd anticipated. Will have to find out when they are rescheduling the show.

Must get going now.

ETA: I just looked at Alison Kraus' website and the shows thru 3/19 have all been postponed. Wonder if someone's sick? Wish they'd had it posted on the website yesterday morning, but they didn't.

Jeanette

Hi Jeanette & Rhea & Natalie & Jeanie!:)

Major bummer is right. I was looking forward to hearing about it.:eek:

Oh, well, I'm sure she'll make good on it -- makes me wonder, too, if someone was sick. But it sounds like a wonderful evening. I'm so missing my hubby that the idea of dinner and Tower Records and then a cozy drive home -- ah! Can't wait till he arrives -- which should be this next week.;)

Well, it was a long walk for me this morning -- got bit by a spider last night and the bite was still a little tender in the morning, so I elected to do no more than an active rest day -- and so I took a long walk -- in a day full of pollen... My eyes were so red when I got back to my room -- really every bit of my eyes were red.:+ But that cleared up soon enough in air conditioning.

So tomorrow is going to be an IMAX day for me -- at least that's what I plan -- and then Sunday, I plan a circuit workout of some sort -- maybe Bootcamp -- haven't done that one in a while.

Have a terrific weekend, everyone and wonderful workouts!:7

It's Saturday! Woohoo! Seemed like a long week for me as usually I don't have to work on Friday's but it was an adjusted schedule for me due to the other 2 ladies in my office being out for training.

This morning I did TLT's Endurance For Movement. This DVD probably makes me sweat the most out of all of them. This is the 3rd time I've done it and I had the moves down much better. What I feel about these DVD's is that I'm working a whole different dimension of my body. The more I do them, the easier it is to listen to Tracie's cues and focus on proper form. Great workout. If it warms up some, I may get outside to do some cardio. Otherwise it'll be housework of some type. My DH has been doing housework for me lately, which is sooo nice. He'll be going back to work on the 21st and I'll miss the help, but glad he can get back to his job. His shoulder is doing well and he has much less discomfort every day.

Karen, I hope you've recovered from the spider bite. They can be really nasty, depending on the spider and your reaction. The pollen must be awful too. Glad you could get some relief from it. Hope Imax is good for you. I just got an idea from the Open Discussion forum re: the Rhythmic Step DVD; mixing and matching step segments from that DVD (Imax1, MIC). I really had never thought of that. I'm getting to where I'm mixing up segments more and more so this is a great idea for me to use.

Well DH and I are going out to breakfast after I shower. It'll be oatmeal for me, which I love.

Good workouts to everyone and have a great weekend. It's cold here.

Jeanette

Good evening Jeanette & Rhea & Natalie & Jeanie!:)

Wow, those TLT's really do sound good. I'm going to have to get them, I think. I loved reading that your hubby is helping you with the housework -- what a sweetheart, Jeanette. I'm so glad that he's doing better.

Not sure what kind of spider bite it was, but I've been bit by them so much that I know exactly what to do to draw out the poison -- and so even the poisonous bites from a brown recluse (and I've had them) go away overnight. Have a whole nutrient dense procedure I do for spider bites -- never leave the house without the stuff, actually.

IMAX3 was good -- I'm getting more and more used to it and it's not so bad when done on a 4" step. Wasn't going to do the whole thing, but did anyway. Am even starting to enjoy the footwork a bit as I learn it more and more.

I know, Jeanette, you are so good at mixing things up -- I still get kinda lost in all the titles... But I'm starting to mix 'em up a bit, too. Am planning a circuit workout tomorrow -- but not sure what kind yet. We'll see what I feel like -- am thinking Bootcamp, but maybe might do HSC.

Anyway, time to get to bed again. Only 3 weeks until the new book comes out -- and I start my tour. Whew! It seems awfully close.

Have a great evening and wonderful workouts tomorrow.

Just a short post after my post late night -- finally decided on HSC -- the 51 minute premix -- that's a good workout.

Anyway, wanted to post this week's rotation, so here goes:

Monday: KPC -- premix 39 minute one -- add on one of Cathe's stretches

Tuesday: IMAX3

Wednesday: ME -- love this workout and haven't done it in months -- might do the 50 some minute premix and see if plays okay -- haven't done it cause it kept stopping on my computer

Thursday: Off -- hubby flies in this day

Friday: IMAX2 -- love this workout

Saturday: PUB -- up only plus short cardio

Sunday: Legs & Glutes plus short cardio

WEll, that's the plan anyway -- we'll see how it holds up since hubby will be here -- hope you both had terrific weekends and here's to a super week and fantastic workouts.:7

It was cardio from RS warmup and then step from MIC for 1/2 hour, then did PUB up only premix (no abs) for a total of 1 hour. I was pleased at how strong I felt in PUB, biceps for the top weight I did 12# but did an extra 6 of them. Soon I think I will be able to go to 15# DB's. Triceps I did 10# as the heavy weight. Mind you, I'm only doing the up premix but for so long, my weights didn't change or felt like I could progress. Shoulders, I still stay at 3#, 5# and 8# and the 8 is tough for me. However, I feel that doing TLT's 2X a week has definitely not hurt one bit!

Yesterday was cycling for 32 miles with one other person. The temp was in the high 20's or low 30's when we started and it did sprinkle/snow on us for part of it. We stopped 1/2 way and had coffee and conversation, which is always nice. At the end, he commented on how my climbing ability has improved so that is always nice. I was thinking, I can't always control how my body LOOKS, seeings how it wants to retain water due to salt, TTOM, hormones, etc., but for now I seem to be able to control my PERFORMANCE. That's why I encourage others to get into some sort of performance activity (running, cycling, swimming, etc.) so they can see the gains, as you can be strong and getting stronger without having to look like a fitness model. Most of us never will look like those types and have genetic tendencies that are awful hard to overcome on the time schedules we keep.

Anyway, off my soapbox for now. Have great workouts today. Karen, your rotation looks good. Have you seen improvements with adding in more cardio?

Jeanette

Sounds like a really nice ride, Jeanette. The idea of riding and stopping for coffee and conversation seems so...cozy and warm. I think you're right -- I'll never be a fitness model, but what I'm hoping for is that as I grow older, I won't lose bone mass, as I see others of my age are starting to do. Also, due to lots of use, I'm hoping that my joints and muscles stay in good working condition.:) And it's nice to be able to fit into one's clothes...sigh...

I'm not seeing what I'd call much weight improvement due to adding in more cardio -- but then I didn't really expect it, either. I seem to lose weight due to diet, not necessarily working out -- but I do think the working out helps me keep it off -- and that is a good thing and worth working for.

I probably won't do IMAX3 tomorrow -- I think I'll opt for my favorite -- IMAX2 and add in a sprint instead of the IMAX's -- see if the hip holds out.

Your workout sounds really good, Jeanette, that's so cool that you're able to go up in weight. In truth, I'm hoping for a maintain while I'm away from home.

Well, must get to bed. It's late. Have a terrific day tomorrow and great workouts.!:7

Good morning ladies:

Today was 1/2 hr. of a combo of step from Cardio & Weights and RS, then 1/2 hour of GS Legs (floorwork).

Today, 2 other ladies and myself are traveling to another prison located in Ione. Hope the roads are okay, will probably go over Hwy. 80 (Donner). We'll be driving a 4WD and carrying chains and hopefully it won't be too bad with snow going over the top. The meeting is tomorrow so will not be able to check in tomorrow. I'm hoping to make sensible eating choices as the 2 ladies really like to eat fattening, heavy foods.

Karen, hope the hip is good for the sprint. Yes, I'm hoping for all of the benefits of exercise that you listed too.

Have to run now. Will check in on Thursday morning.

Jeanette

Good morning!

Just a quick post....Jeanette hope everything is safe and sound. It was really nasty weather this morning. All schools closed (well, except maybe Richmond, it was the last holdout) I know your ride back should be better, since it finally stopped snowing here.

Yesterday I did Cardio and Weights, skipped the abs and added on the TJ 20 minute workout. Not sure what is up for today. Some sort of cardio, no weights, since did that yesterday.

Hi Rhea,
We ended us not risking the bad weather and stayed here.

Question, what are the Turbo Jam workouts like? Can I see a video clip anywhere?

Jeanette

Am glad you didn't risk the bad weather, Jeanette -- I think both Rhea and I would have worried about you.

Okay, so I've just read the most confusing article in a book on exercise -- mostly on aerobics and on running -- specifically on running. It's by Joel M. Kauffman, PHD and is called Malignant Medical Myths and one of them is on exercise. It's quite confusing to me as it really poo-poos the commonly thought belief of how good exercise is for a person -- gives statistics, etc. Of course, I'm not sure I believe it -- I rarely believe without personal observation anything that I read or hear -- I need to observe it myself before it becomes a "truth" for me. But it's certainly thrown a wrench into my thinking. Of course it also poo-poos the idea of drinking water -- I won't bother writing what it says about it -- it's so general as to make you laugh at first until you realize that he means it...:-( Anyway, I'm going to have my hubby read it -- and he'll be here in a couple of days -- and see what he thinks of it.

Anyway, ended up not getting enough sleep last night and so didn't exercise today -- am making this my day off -- so I'll do IMAX2 tomorrow and continue on the rotation with that.

Hope you both have wonderful days tomorrow -- wish I could help on the turbojams, but I don't have them.

Oh, my hubby will be bringing me the Step Blast -- can't wait to get it.

Have some wonderful workouts, everyone!:7

Hi Karen, Rhea, Natalie & Jeanie:

This morning I did about 20 minutes from Kickmax (low impact), switched to CTX 10-10-10 and did the kickbox and hi/lo from it, finishing with plank work and abs from CTX Power Circuit. Total time 1 hour.

Karen, can't remember if you've received CTX yet, but Step Blast sounds fun and one that I do want to order in the future. The book you talked about sounds interesting. Please tell more re: the water and exercise. It sure seems like the more we do, the more fit we may be, but the results don't come so easily as our bodies adapt. That's why I've kind of eased up on the cardio (plus I'm half lazy ;-) ) just to vary it more and give my body more of a rest. I haven't seen any negative effects of this on the cardio in my cycling at all. So many on these boards seem to get into long, long workouts. Okay for them, just not where I want to go as I don't enjoy it THAT much! Now cycling, ah, I can spend a long time doing that, but not on the trainer, that's more like exercise then. Anyhow, please relay more of what the book says.

Rhea, yep, it sure was nasty yesterday morning. Doesn't seem like Richmond should have been open when most all the rest of the schools were closed. Rhea, can you tell me about the Turbo Jam workouts?

Must go now, good workouts to everyone.

Jeanette

Karen, sorry you didn't get enough sleep, but maybe a nap during the day will help. On this 4-10 schedule, I don't get as much sleep as I need, but I try to get in more on the weekends. Lots of energy here still, though.

Must go

Good morning Karen, Rhea, Natalie & Netta!

I missed you ladies -- hope you are all doing well. I read your posts, and you all sure are being loyal to the workouts!

After having increased lower back pain (I always have back problems), I decided to lay off the TLTs. I actually bought the Firm Transfirmer set, and I'm loving it! So much fun! I'm doing a Firm rotation right now and seeing visible results. Yeah!

Karen Kay, I love StepBlast. I think the music in this workout is what really motivates me.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Jeanie

:)

Hi all!

Jeanette, Turbo Jams are from Chalene Johnson at beachbody.com. Unfortunately they don't have video clips, just still pictures. But if you like kickboxing, you will probably enjoy these workouts. I don't particularly like kickboxing, but love these workouts. (could be that kickboxing is growing on me;) )

Karen- you will like step Blast. It is one of my favorites. Great music, steady intensity and then a punch at the end. I'm always dripping and tired at the end.

Jeanie - so glad to see you pop in. Glad you are having fun with the Firms.

Natalie - how are you doing? The extra busy one of our bunch here.

Hi Jeanette & Rhea & Jeanie & Natalie!:)

Good evening!

Well, Jeanette, like I said, I don't really agree with him, but here's one of his paragraphs: "The level of exercise that will be shown to be damaging is high energy-level exercise. This includes such activites as fast dancing, running, jogging, handball, squash, tennis, long-distance cycling and heavy weight lifting. Most of these are performed to be aerobic, that is, intensely enough to cause sweating and panting. Strenuous exercise involves an energy output over 350 kcal/hour by common convention and will refer to any activity that occasionally causes sweating, pain, nausea, dizziness, etc. in people who are judged fit enough to do it." He goes on to say, "The goal of this chapter is not to debunk exercise altogether, but to show the dangers and adverse effects of strenuous exercise as compared with mild to medium or moderate exercise."

If one reads this very hard to read section (lots of big words), his main concern is over exercise causing heart attacks -- and his assertion is that it is exercise that causes some of these bad heart conditions, not that the condition was already there to begin with. He writes: "Extreme aerobics such as running and marathon cycling not only do not prevent CVD (cardiovascular disease), they appear to cause them. Knee problems, stress fractures of bones, and joint problems affect a majority of those doing strenuous exercise for years, not a small fraction. Warmup and cooldown phases can help somewhat..." He goes on and on...

After reading this and being very confused, I realized that his viewpoint and statistics are very limited. He drops out time. What I mean by this is that he accuses exercise of causing cardiovascular disease, yet at the turn of the century, cardiovascular disease was so rare that a physician once showed a group of students the body of a man who had died of it as being an oddity -- and probably something they would never see again. Dwight Eisenhower's personal physician said that up until the 1920's, cardiovascular disease was almost unheard of -- it's a recent disease -- very recent.

In another book I read on centarians (people who live over 100 years of age)-- there are three areas of the world that have many, many centarians -- and all of them involve activity -- not of a mild sort, but all day walking or tending chores, etc.

So how can this be? -- people have exercised, run, cycled for thousands of years -- what's the difference now from then? Do you see, this doctor, Mr. Joel M. Kauffman, doesn't research this all the way back in time. He completely drops it out. And it should not be dropped out.

In my research of Indian tribes of long ago, Indians were noted to be able to run all day long -- literally -- and never get winded or get tired -- all day long -- with no adverse reaction whatsoever -- of course they had been running all of their lives and so were used to the activity. In a recent book I'm reading by an Indian author, he talks about exercising 3 hours a day just to keep fit -- with absolutely no adverse reaction. This was in the late 1800's.

But Mr. Kauffman makes it appear that even the best of the best atheletes might drop dead suddenly because of strenuous exercise, and says so.

I won't even post what he writes about on water -- it seems almost silly to do it -- and he notes NO statistics whatsoever to back up his assertion. I like statistics on this kind of thing -- specifics -- something I can cut my teeth on -- I'm not one to buy rumor...

So anyway, this has me wrapping my wits around it, trying to understand, and again, I think one of the main problems with it again, is that he completely debunks what he calls strenuous exercise without researching it all the way back -- and there are records going back at least 200 years that could be researched. But I'm still going to have my hubby read it and see what he says and I'm going to go see the chiropractor who gave me the book on intense exercise and get his take on this, as well.

In the meantime, I'm going to know what I know and not be thrown off by this. I love my exercise -- I see improvement -- and that's enough for me right now.

Anyway, did IMAX2 today -- but left out interval 9, just because of he time factor. Love that workout.

Hi Rhea & Jeanie & Natalie! Sorry about your back, Jeanie, but glad you've discovered the FIRM workouts are doing well for you.

And Rhea, yes, I can't wait to get the Step Blast.

Well, again, it's late. I must get to bed.

Have some terrific workouts, everyone.:7

Good morning ladies:

No workout for me this morning. I have a hill climb bike ride this afternoon planned but internet weather shows a good chance of bad weather by the time I get off work so we'll see. May just be a rest day for me.

I received my Slim Series workouts yesterday so I previewed a couple of them this morning. Hmmm... not like Cathe's at all (which I knew). I'm just wondering if these will be a good change for my body (hi reps, low weight). Worth a try so think I will start a rotation next week.

Karen, thanks for the info from your book. Very interesting, but I'm with you on going with tried and true. Share with us what your DH thinks too.

Well, must get going now and good to hear from you too, Jeanie. Glad the Firm is working you good! Thanks, Rhea for the info on the Turbo Jams. They sound like a nice change too.

Can't wait for the good weather to come, that's probably why I'm feeling so restless with my workouts.

Have great workouts today.

Jeanette

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.