Just how wonderful are P90X workouts?

SRP

Cathlete
I checked out the website but can't really tell. That's a lot of $$ to shell out without a preview. I know it's a good value for 12 tapes, but not if I don't like them. I know - I can get them on a 30-day trial. But I still want a description from someone who's tried them.

There are a few on here that have tried them, I just ordered them. It took me some time because I am so new to Cathe, I felt like a traitor. Still do some what. I thought I would give the program a try though. Hope you get the answer you are looking for and if not, I can tell ya in a couple of weeks. I looked at the photos and what they said they did in such a short time and it was amazing. And these were real people on their forum. I think it will really work, but I enjoy Cathe so much, I really think I will end up back with her. Maybe just incorperate them together.

If you do a search for P90X, you'll get a TON of info. Lots of people here have had excellent results with them.

They are worth the money. You will not regret purchasing them. I do prefer Cathe most times, but you can't beat P90X for gaining strength.....:)

Hi Shannon,

I think they're pretty wonderful. :D

Seriously, the thing I like most about the P90X workouts is that they're very challenging and different from Cathe's workouts. I find that the difference makes them a really nice complement to Cathe's stuff.

I really like that the upper body strength stuff is mostly done at reps to failure within a certain time period, instead of a set number of reps. I also like the use of pushups and pullups for strength (even though I can still only do one pullup).

As others have mentioned in other threads, the only body parts that seem a little weak is legs and glutes, the P90X leg workout is "Legs and Back". I think it should have been a leg/lower body only workout. However, I do really like the leg exercises in that workout.

IMO, they're worth the money for the number of workouts and variety of workouts you get.

You can check out VF reviews for more details about the workouts:
http://www.videofitness.com/instructors/beachbody.php

They must be pretty damn good, since we have four threads about them here on the front page of the Cathe forums;)

Well I just bought them and i haven't decided whether i am sending them back.
I like CAthe. They are a little repetitive and trying to sell you the drinks during them.
I was expecting a little more.
I like different chest workouts not only push ups and pull ups.
The warm ups kill me. What is with the knee raised hitting your hands.
MAybe it is just me , but the is it Tony guy is a little annoying.
Oh well undecided.
Anne
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=8227804&uid=3969941

P90X Rocks!!! I completed one full round and had gotten half way through a second round when I stumbled upon Cathe's stuff and decided I needed/wanted a change. I had done a full round of P90 before starting the X, so I think I needed a break from Tony's style for a little while. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with changing things up!!

Having done Tony's stuff and now Cathe's (still have quite a few of hers to do yet) you can't really compare the two. They both bring different things to the table...all of which are great. The X got me in great shape...better shape than I've ever been in in my entire life. There is no way a year ago...when I started doing Beachbody programs...I could have even made it through half of Cathe's interval workouts, much less the whole thing. I have Tony to thank for that!! And Plyo X and Chest and Back are worth the price of the whole set in my opinion. I most certainly recommend getting them if you can!!

Deni

I have to admit, I just was not into Tony or P90X when I first got them. I miserably tried to do a 90 day round and missed workouts (esp yoga x- no one could convince me to do 1 &1/2 hrs of yoga :eek: ) But I have to say I decided to give it another try this year and am on week 8 and I love it!!! Including YogaX. I have made huge upper body strength gains and increased my flexability tremendously.

Catherine

I have had these workouts for probably close to two years and just never tried them until now. I really like the sequencing of the exercises and have been amazed how do-able they are. I think I got scared off at first - but am really happy that I have started doing them now. I am looking forward to doing my first 90 day rotation. I have dabbled with some of the workouts for a few weeks and am starting Monday with the full rotation.

I have them and I'm sending them back. I just don't care for them. I can't stand the warmups in any of them as they have impact, and I don't like impact moves when I'm warming up. I know I could modify, but what's the point. I tried a couple of the workouts and didn't even make through the entire workout because I just didn't care for them. I ended up finishing my workout with Cathe. On a positive note, I really like Tony. I wanted to like these workouts and I've actually almost waited too long to send them back. If I don't make it to the post office tomorrow, I'll have to keep them. I agree with the above poster who doesn't want to do just pull-ups and push-ups for my chest and back. I need a little more variety than that, especially since I hate push-ups. And the cardio workouts look way easy up against what I'm used to. I didn't try them, but according to other threads I've read, they are fairly easy.

Shannon,
I did get excellent results from P90X but I got even better upper body results following Debbie's (fitnessfreak366) rotations (I did her rotation after P90X) and had more fun. I had a difficult time gauging my strength day to day on my pull-ups and chin-ups while doing P90X because I am really unable to do more than a few on my own. I enjoyed PlyoX but I would much rather do an Imax. Along the same vane, I like kenpo X but would rather do Kickmax or KPC on any given day. Honestly, Yoga X is the only one I consistently use right now. (Occasionally, but not often I still use Core Synergiestics and X-Stretch) After a while the endless pull-up/chin-ups and push-ups of P90X just didn't keep me happy working out anymore....the motivation just wasn't there. I'm sure the results could be awesome it someone keeps at it, but the sparkle wasn't there for me (and I really liked Tony). I did a 60 day rotation and that was more than enough for me. Everyone has their own opinion and I am just sharing mine.

I'm glad I own the series and it is a valuable series for someone who will work it. I'm sure I may do another rotation, but just not anytime soon....Cathe tends to gets more work and results out of me:)

JMO,
Robin

ETA: IMO, a proper compilation of Cathe DVDs can easily give you the same or better results.

I am new to P90X. I am in my 7th week now. I have altered though with more cardio, ab work and leg work. I like it though and it is a good change. I am not sorry I bought it. The style is different and I am getting into some yoga which I never used before.
Diane Sue
http://wd.1ww.us

Big Oooops....I also frequently use Ab Ripper X...How could I have possibly forgot about that one? :eek: :eek:

Robin;)

I also like ab ripper X. The first time I did it I tried to add resistance and thought "what was I thinking" I do add in some med ball now. It took some getting used to. It goes at a different pace than Cathe. Some moves are similar but at a different pace, no feet on the floor (things that make it more challenging) Someone would have to try it to know what I am talking about. I think this is definitely a keeper.
Diane Sue
http://wd.1ww.us

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.