Just got my foam roller - OUCH!!

jcm

Cathlete
Mr. UPS brought my roller right as I was finishing my run. I ordered it after reading so much about it and realizing my IT band was sore to the touch. I just got on it for my left IT band ... it HURTS! That's good, right? It will get better .... please tell me??

Jen

Yep, that's normal. The first few times most people can't handle the discomfort (read: paid) enough to roll their entire leg. The first time I rolled (my calves were and are the problem) I broke out into a sweat it hurt so much. When you foam roll you will find the relief afterward amazing. After a while whenever your legs hurt you will be naturally drawn to foam rolling. Now I take the pain as an indication of how much better I am going to feel when I am done.

Phew! That thing makes me break out in a sweat from the pain! I just focused on my left glute/hip to start. Eeeeek!

My foam roller is dusty, but I've got a tennis ball that I use on my calves fairly frequently. Amazing how much better I feel *after* I am done with it.

The main problem I have with the foam roller is that I'm too uncoordinated to roll on it. It's so hard to get that thing from one end of my leg to the other! Each time I have tried I give up in frustration.

I'm gonna go "chill" now and watch t.v. and that d**mn roller is tormenting me. I know I need to do it. My calves need it along with left glute and IT - that Mellencamp "Hurt So Good" is in my head.

Jen

fun fact - my "name" - jcm - actually is john cougar mellencamp. huge huge fan back in college!

I got one yesterday and tried it last night. I was surprised at how intense it was. I slept so hard that my alarm went off for a full minute before I heard it this morning.

It's definitely an acquired love! I have overly-dramatic IT bands, and my foam roller is the best thing for it. It hurts, but if you find those sore spots, keep rolling over them until you work the knots out. You will feel so much better!

It's the BEST for "runner's legs"! My daughter is using it to stand on for stability work--recovery from a broken ankle (recommended by her PT).

Funny story: I usually happen to use mine when my kids aren't around, but had brought it up to "work" on a trouble spot. My son's response was "you mean that thing has a real purpose?" My boys love to play with it--usually as a bazooka. Did I mention that the boys are 15 & 10?

I've been using my foam roller after every workout and it gets better each time! I'm also building some upper body strength from holding myself up as to control the pressure as I roll. I love this thing! It has made a huge difference in my IT band, hammies, quads, gluts, and calves.
Nancy

IMO, the IT band is the most painful place to roll.

I read in a recent issue of Runner's World that it's good to foam roll, then stretch, both before and after a workout.

I read that also. My son just put his roller blade on my leg (hit my IT) and I about jumped outta my skin. Hurts so good!

I ordered the gray one from Perform Better. With shipping it was $30. It's the one I've read most about both here and Runners World.

Could somebody please share where to get one of these?? Are they the foam rollers at dicks that show people doing balancing exercises?

I got mine at Dicks, but I don't recall any balancing exercises on the packaging. It's just a cylinder of super duty foam, about 3 feet long or so. They are by the dumbbells and machines.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.